Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What should I use on my new Tesla? A Wax, a Paint Sealant or a Permanent Coating?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What no Zaino recommendations? That used to be the "go to" Brand for high end cars.
I used Zaino - the mixing wasn't that bad, ZFX and Z2 in a little bottle (came with the full kit I ordered). I only managed to do two coats instead of three as planned, it was just too hot and I have a very short attention span. It really didn't take too long and it still looks amazing 4 months later. It was worth every minute as it seems to repel dirt. I'm sure most similar products all yield decent results really. Since I have a dark color and it sits out in the brutal FL sun near the coast all the time, I wanted protection I wouldn't have to reapply more than one or twice a year, and wouldn't cost thousands.

I used Zaino - the mixing wasn't that bad, ZFX and Z2 in a little bottle (came with the full kit I ordered). I only managed to do two coats instead of three as planned, it was just too hot and I have a very short attention span. It really didn't take too long and it still looks amazing 4 months later. It was worth every minute as it seems to repel dirt. I'm sure most similar products all yield decent results really. Since I have a dark color and it sits out in the brutal FL sun near the coast all the time, I wanted protection I wouldn't have to reapply more than one or twice a year, and wouldn't cost thousands.

And you don't even HAVE to use the ZFX. That product came out later after people complained about the drying time. I just use the Z2 and let it sit in the sun for about a half hour or 45 minutes . It's the best stuff I've used in the last few years. There seems to be a lot of new companies around since I last was into this (I've been driving a silver SUV for the last 14 years or so). My kids are teenagers now and no longer need a big gas hog. It's gonna be great to have a car I can be proud of again.

And you don't even HAVE to use the ZFX. That product came out later after people complained about the drying time. I just use the Z2 and let it sit in the sun for about a half hour or 45 minutes . It's the best stuff I've used in the last few years. There seems to be a lot of new companies around since I last was into this (I've been driving a silver SUV for the last 14 years or so). My kids are teenagers now and no longer need a big gas hog. It's gonna be great to have a car I can be proud of again.
True, ZFX isn't required, unless you're like me and need to be able to reapply immediately or you'll get sidetracked by the cat's antics, or butterflies, or HGTV and lose momentum to finish the job. :crying:

Lots of threads on this here at TMC and also over at TM (use volkerize.com to search). I am not a wrap/film guy, so I went with OptiCoat Pro (not the DIY version) and am very happy. The TM factory paint/clear coat is really soft and you are wise to think about paint protection now.

I am definitely going to be there, Nigel!

Looking forward to seeing you there. I'm going to have 2 Teslas on display

- - - Updated - - -

I'm confused as to which application i should get to my soon to be delivered car. I see lots of happy customers of opti-coat pro and xpel ulimate, but i'm not sure why one would get one over the other. Please help.

Going with both is the best way to protect the appearance of your soon to be delivered Tesla.
Find a qualify Xpel installer that will wrap the entire front end (bumper, entire hood and fenders), make sure he wraps the film around the edges of the hood and fenders for a seamless look. Then Opti-Coat the entire car, if your Tesla is a dark color I recommend going with GTechniq C1/Exov2 instead for a deeper shine. I am an authorized installer for all major coatings so I've had the chance to compare them all.

Note- MAKE SURE the detailer you choose to apply the coating is in fact an authorized installer for your coating of choice, If he's not an authorized installer you won't get a warranty on such coating and you won't be getting the coating you requested either.

Last edited:
I'm confused as to which application i should get to my soon to be delivered car. I see lots of happy customers of opti-coat pro and xpel ulimate, but i'm not sure why one would get one over the other. Please help.

I'll have to get better "outside-daylight" pics, but I had the front of mine wrapped in XPEL Ultimate and then applied 3 coats of Glare Professional Polish on the whole car. pics (at night in the garage so lighting is a bit awkward): http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/21514-Glare-Professional-Polish-on-black-P85

Paint armor first and then a coating, if you can't afford a coating then a good paint sealant would be the next best thing.

Just to be clear. If i am going to get XPEL AND Opti-Coat Pro, which application do i have put on the car first?

Also, I spoke to a local XPEL installer and he says that he does not wrap the XPEL around the surfaces. Instead, he gets the sheets to about 1/8 inch or so to the edge. I thought wrapping is the way to go. Am I wrong about that?

Just to be clear. If i am going to get XPEL AND Opti-Coat Pro, which application do i have put on the car first?

Also, I spoke to a local XPEL installer and he says that he does not wrap the XPEL around the surfaces. Instead, he gets the sheets to about 1/8 inch or so to the edge. I thought wrapping is the way to go. Am I wrong about that?

he's probably using pre-cut templates then instead of full sheets and custom wrap. I prefer the full sheets/custom wrap but I guess thats more expensive since everything needs to be cut manually.