Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What should I do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Considering the times with EV’s being the discussion by most manufacturers, I would like to know if you purchased recently whether you leased or financed your Model Y. Tesla may not be the most sort after EV in 3yrs. What do you think?

oblivion-tom-cruise.gif

Considering the times with EV’s being the discussion by most manufacturers, I would like to know if you purchased recently whether you leased or financed your Model Y. Tesla may not be the most sort after EV in 3yrs. What do you think?

No one can predict the future. With that said, all the people who leased these (instead of purchasing) a couple years ago are kicking themselves now because for once in a generation, cars have been an appreciating asset.

Tesla lease terms are not the best, and its entirely possible that someone who leases one of these would pay similar over a 3 year timeframe to someone who buys... yet the person who buys will have an asset and the person leasing wont.

One normally leases a vehicle for business reasons, or because they dont want to own it, or because the depreciation hit is very large on it (most german car leases) so leasing makes the payment more palatable.

I bought my model 3 in 2018 after being a serial BMW leaser for like 15 years... and nothing that has happened since 2018 has made me regret that decision in the slightest. We got a model Y for my wife after buying out, then selling, her BMW leased 2018 X3.

With tech products there will always be something newer, so no one can tell you "what you should do" as it relates to leasing or buying a vehicle. I get that people like to talk about this stuff as an exercise, but everyones financial situation is different, as well as their goals with cars.

If you like the idea of not having a choice to buy your vehicle at the end of the lease (being forced to turn it in, no matter if it was a good vehicle for you or not), and paying about as much over the 3 year lease term as someone who is buying it, but having no asset at the end, then perhaps leasing this car is for you.

Reactions: jerome8283