Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really lucked out today but, to be fair, IMO there is a 50% chance TSLA drops below 375 before the market finally puts the coronavirus in the rear view mirror.

I am so tempted to sell and buy again later.

I wouldn't advise it. Basically, there is a chance that the market might go lower from here, but not a lot lower. That is probably more likely. Less likely, we've hit bottom, but if so, the stock won't be looking back. It just doesn't make sense being greedy at this point to 60-70% chance at making a little bit more money when you could lose out 30-40% at making a lot of money.

Unless you are a day trader, then, fine, fire away.

Reactions: phantasms
I wouldn't advise it. Basically, there is a chance that the market might go lower from here, but not a lot lower. That is probably more likely. Less likely, we've hit bottom, but if so, the stock won't be looking back. It just doesn't make sense being greedy at this point to 60-70% chance at making a little bit more money when you could lose out 30-40% at making a lot of money.

Unless you are a day trader, then, fine, fire away.
Definitely not a day trader. I work for a living. ;)

I have never owned MSFT but they are my tip for doing well during the move towards move towards WFH revolution. Teams works well. Zoom seems to be more for where you have a conference room and are calling other parties. When everyone is WFH, there is no physical conf room.

Most importantly, sharing documents on Sharepoint, on the Cloud through 365 just works. Multiple people working on the document at the same time (and having faith that their updates will be saved) is critical.

MSFT is the safe choice that IT Directors will take 9 times out of 10.

• Informative
Reactions: Ocelot
Absent finding companies that are undervalued (and this thread has had precious little information about that), a defensive move right now would be to buy bonds (yes really) in anticipation of a stock market correction, at which point, you sell those bonds at a profit (since interest rates would likely fall in a correction) and then you can buy all those juicy stocks that are too highly valued right now. Of course, if a stock market correction doesn't happen for another year or two, you've just forgone 10-20% (or more) appreciation. Decisions, decisions...

Someone just “liked” this prescient post of mine that I posted back in early January. Geez, I sure wish I had taken my own advice! THAT was the play. While some bond prices also went on a rollercoaster, AAA rated ones held up well and did in fact go up while the stock market melted down. If you had a fully invested portfolio (ie all of your investable money was tied up in stocks and bonds), then you would have sold your bonds and bought stocks during the stock market correction we just had. Once again showing the value of a balanced portfolio (in this case, partly invested in AAA bonds and stocks).

Reactions: UCF3
Could you post any more information about this? Couldn't find anything with a Google News search, and we're planning on going grocery shopping this week!

If you do a "coronavirus meat plants" search, it should come right up. But the most serious outbreak is now in Sioux Falls, SD, with more than 700 cases.

Smithfield Foods Coronavirus Outbreak: Company Blames “Living Circumstances In Certain Cultures” For One Of America’s Largest COVID-19 Clusters

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller
For those who have been following Chamath, it looks like Social Capital’s gone public today. Any thoughts? Next Berkshire? In his April 1 Pomp Podcast interview, he was considering going this route (podcast posted in Macro thread).

Social Capital Hedosophia Holdings Corp. III Announces Pricing of Upsized $720 Million Initial Public Offering
I just watched that interview, which was amazing, last night. I will definitely be investing in his company when the time comes. He used to manage the top 2% hedge fund in the world and from what I've listened to, he really knows his stuff in an organic way.

just my opinion, not advice.

Another one that is focused on the U.S., Social Capital Hedosophia Holdings II, remains on the shelf for now. It has a target of raising up to $345 million.

I just watched that interview, which was amazing, last night. I will definitely be investing in his company when the time comes. He used to manage the top 2% hedge fund in the world and from what I've listened to, he really knows his stuff in an organic way.

You should be able to now. I just picked up 300 shares of IPOC.U. Should be interesting how it plays out. I was set on only cash, TSLA, and some oil plays but this was too tempting to pass on.

Last edited:
Reactions: ggies07 and EinSV

When he did the first one of these, I bought in. It did basically nothing for three years, then merged/bought Virgin Galactic (SPCE), with about a 70% upside currently, or ~25% annual. It was doing much better than that until COVID hit, up about 4x. Of course I got bored after a year or two of nothing happening, and recovered my investment. The second one is still in the "sitting on the money" phase, and this is the third one. Personally I don't believe in SPCE, so I'm staying clear.

When he did the first one of these, I bought in. It did basically nothing for three years, then merged/bought Virgin Galactic (SPCE), with about a 70% upside currently, or ~25% annual. It was doing much better than that until COVID hit, up about 4x. Of course I got bored after a year or two of nothing happening, and recovered my investment. The second one is still in the "sitting on the money" phase, and this is the third one. Personally I don't believe in SPCE, so I'm staying clear.
This is exactly what happened to me - I ended up selling my stake of his first one at a small loss when nothing happened for 1-2 years. I did buy some of the new one today but had to call my broker (iTrade in Canada) since it wasn't showing up on the online platform. I'll try to be more patient this time!

Reactions: ggies07
This is exactly what happened to me - I ended up selling my stake of his first one at a small loss when nothing happened for 1-2 years. I did buy some of the new one today but had to call my broker (iTrade in Canada) since it wasn't showing up on the online platform. I'll try to be more patient this time!
He said on that interview that he was only looking into investing in things that make the world a better place for now.....that does not happen in 1-2 years. I bought in for the long term.