Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

What motor does your 2023 Model Y have?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Care to share your VIN and pic of motor placard?
7SAYGDEE1PA052... SO 3D1 is the old P motor? and essentially we have an old P motor wise?

Attachments

• PXL_20230216_210034195.jpg
    PXL_20230216_210034195.jpg
    372.5 KB · Views: 483
Reactions: JezzaE
It would be great to hear about a performance boost out of these 4D1 motors. ICE vehicles are improved with more hp/tq annually and this could an equivalent opportunity from Elon to do the same for his fleet of performance products.

Reactions: EVRob78
I put together the attached table from the responses received so far, and every 4D1 motor has had F in the VIN's 8th digit. One was a Performance built in Fremont and the other four were Austin built LR. Note that every LR has had a Performance motor (3D1/980 or 4D1), but Austin builds with the E in VIN position 8 are getting the 3D1/980. It would be interesting to see what motor is going into the slightly slower Austin built AWD with 4680 batteries.

Attachments

• Motor Table.JPG
    Motor Table.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 338
I put together the attached table from the responses received so far, and every 4D1 motor has had F in the VIN's 8th digit. One was a Performance built in Fremont and the other four were Austin built LR. Note that every LR has had a Performance motor (3D1/980 or 4D1), but Austin builds with the E in VIN position 8 are getting the 3D1/980. It would be interesting to see what motor is going into the slightly slower Austin built AWD with 4680 batteries.
It's super odd that it seems like there was only a small window when the 4D1 motor on the LR was used. Late November to around mid December while everything built after that used the 3D1. Granted the sample size is really small but that seems to be the trend so far.

Last edited:
It's super odd that it seems like there was only a small window when the 4D1 motor was used. Late November to around mid December while everything built after that used the 3D1. Granted the sample size is really small but that seems to be the trend so far.
I agree. It appears all of the 4D1 motors are being built in the Austin GigaTexas plant and probably intended for the MY Performance. But it's my understanding Austin does not build the MYP, they all ship out from Fremont. I can't help but wonder if there was more recent demand for the LR and Austin had a limited supply of 3D1/980 motors but some excess 4D1 supply (since they build them in TX and ship out to Fremont). Perhaps they decided to drop them in the LR versus delay the production/assembly line? This was also at the end of the the year's big push (Q4 2022).

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr_Joe
Also have the 4D1 motor. Dec Austin built MYLR

7SAYGDEF2PA052XXX
Are you able to make out the first line of your 4D1 placard? It should start with GTX (GigaTexas) then have the two digit year and day of the year. It would be interesting to see when your motor was built. So far we have LR 4D1 motors built on 12/09 (day 343) and 12/19/2022 (day 353). There is also a MY Performance 4D1 motor from 11/19/2022.

Last edited:
MYP can make top speed 155 mph range is 304 miles
MYLR can only make 135 mph and range 326 miles.
In real world people really drive that speed.
For the money MYLR vs MYP, you cannot beat the performance package. It’s like buying a BMW 4 series for 55k vs buying the m4 for 80k.

Inside and body base is the same, but every is different. It was I believe 2k last month, but now is 4K difference, but it would normally cost upwards of 10-20k. if you even could, to cut 1.5 seconds off of a sub 5 second 0-60mph car is far more than the current difference.

We ordered a mylr, but it was when it was 55k tax bread and not the 80k. We got a blue, white interior MYLR for 54500 price. Now it starts at 54990.

For the money MYLR vs MYP, you cannot beat the performance package. It’s like buying a BMW 4 series for 55k vs buying the m4 for 80k.

Inside and body base is the same, but every is different. It was I believe 2k last month, but now is 4K difference, but it would normally cost upwards of 10-20k. if you even could, to cut 1.5 seconds off of a sub 5 second 0-60mph car is far more than the current difference.

We ordered a mylr, but it was when it was 55k tax bread and not the 80k. We got a blue, white interior MYLR for 54500 price. Now it starts at 54990.
It’s a no-brainer if you plan to upgrade the wheels and buy the boost…there’s your $4000 right there!

the MYP price different was more than $2K comparing MYLR a month ago. That why I did not order it due to 55K FTC limit.

If I recalled it right, it was $4K different. MYLR price was increased $500 then $1500 after it went down to $52,990 on 1/13/23. I think MYP price went up twice $1K each time.
Actually, MYP went up $1k after MYLR went up the second time, making the difference only $3k (on Feb 3rd, when IRS raised the cap from $55k to $80k). Then it went up twice, $500 each time. That brought the pricing difference back to $4k.