Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the new yellow line on the speedometer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
how do you feel about the inconsistent user experience for times one forgets about total lack of regen braking when range charging (or in cold weather)?
About the same way I feel about hydroplaning, glazed brake pads, uneven road surfaces, etc. Driver should be paying attention to surroundings, the road, the vehicle, their personal physical state (awake, sleepy, focused, distracted, etc.), and so forth.

I will say that when regen is limited there should be a visible indicator -- the dashed yellow line that started the thread. If the driver isn't paying attention to this and thus is "unprepared" for the car driving differently, the same driver would likely not notice the parking brake is applied in a traditional vehicle. Would you suggest the accelerator be applied in such cases to compensate for the "different driving experience" for the person who doesn't realize the parking brake is engaged?

That line in the picture doesn't indicate there is no regen but that the regen is limited. And it's not very accurate at that - I usually get more regen than the line indicates. So, it's not like you take your foot of the accelerator and you coast. I have actually seen very close to zero regen on a super cold day - that was unnerving for about a half second. Then I adjusted and drove just fine until the battery warmed up a bit. I doubt that there have been any accidents due to this.

By the way, the 6.0 line looks much bolder than the earlier version. This is good.