Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is public perception of owning a Tesla after Musk's tweet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Serious question.
I'm having a Tesla Solar roof and Powerwall installed today, as I post this, power is out during install.
I have a Model Y on order supposed to arrive next month... right before tax rebate goes info effect, but thats a different story.

I am shocked at Elon's tweet repeating a heinous made up story about the victim of the attempted murder of the husband of 3rd in line for presidency. This is truly evil stuff from Elon that seems indefensible as he's refused to apologize about it. It must be intentional despite information clearly stating it is completely false. Elon doesn't seem to care. Damage has been done. It trended on twitter. Millions of people now have the false idea there's some truth to it and unable to discern reality from fabricated stories.

Serious question. Have current owners of Tesla's received any pushback from friends, neighbors, random people regarding their ownership of a Tesla? Has public perception changed any?

I'm used to have an idea of the kind of people hating on Tesla, because they support the fossil fuel industry, want to pollute more, etc. Usually GOP people. But now Elon has leapfrogged and gone full MAGA conspiracy theorist with no connection to reality. Makes my head spin figuring out who might or might not like the idea of owning a Tesla. Seems like owning a Tesla could illicit bad response from practically anyone these days.

Bottom line, I'm having serious second thoughts about accepting delivery of the Model Y and trying to get some feedback.
Thanks

I only have a few friends who have purchased new or nearly new cars in the last few years. One of them did end up recently going EV. For all of them Elon was a negative factor but not the main deciding factor against getting a Tesla. The more important issue was Tesla's current offerings were not to their tastes/current budget/living situation. My friend who recently went EV got an Ioniq 5. Model Y was never even on her list, I believe mostly because of the driver controls.

I am sure for many people Elon has become so toxic that Tesla is off the table, but I don't have a good sense for what percentage of the population that actually is. I don't do any kind of bumper stickers, but I have though it would be funny to put a "Sorry About Elon" or an "Elon Sucks" bumper sticker on my Model 3 :)

The tweet was deleted so I never saw it. How long was it even up?

I get the occasional comment about Musk, but... I get the occasional comment sniping at my Mac and my iPhone too. Modern era people like to hate on things. Doesn't bother me.
It was up for a few hours. Enough to be retweeted thousands of times. It's been on all the major news. It helped to make the story trend on twitter. Tweets correcting the false story were buried. Presumably many people think the story is real despite police and many other references indicating it's completely untrue. Generally searching on Twitter for "musk Pelosi" will show a ton of tweets and threads.
Musk, who has 112 million followers on the platform he now owns, posted the baseless story about Pelosi in response to a tweet from Hilary Clinton at 8:15 am ET. He later deleted the tweet around 2 pm, but not before racking up more than 28,000 retweets and 100,000 likes.

Last edited:
No, seriously, I've never heard a negative comment about Tesla here in Montana, only interested curiosity. Electric and wind power are very much in favor here, independent of politics, and Elon's antics not much of a thing.
I think that’s the difference between folks who let “religion” or ideology dictate their major purchase decisions and those that don’t.

...Bottom line, I'm having serious second thoughts about accepting delivery of the Model Y and trying to get some feedback...
Your concern is reasonable.

I am a hypocrite in lots of ways but as I got older I've tried not to.

I've struggled in hating the petroleum that supports wars and destructions while I was driving gasoline cars most of my life.

I had little choice because I was poor but as I got older, I was able to afford buying a Model S in 2012.

Now that I have choices, I wouldn't sleep well if I bought the pillows from the Election conspiracy guy.

Same with the merchandise from Alex Jones who got rich thanks to evangelizing the right wing conspiracies. I wouldn't buy his merchandise because I have a choice.

When my friends and family asked why I buy Tesla when its CEO had some questionable tweets. I told them that Tesla has been a monopoly on long range EVs for decades so I had little choices then.

However, decent-range EVs from competitors are now starting to be available. Thus, now I have more choices.

I think it is a good thing to spend your money where you're happy.

Call it what you will but I think most people stop short of boycotting when it comes to convenience.

If a product is great or at least bests the rest in the market then all press is effectively good press. If a product is dog excrement then it’s pretty easy to just say no.
Don't know where you live but more people than you think are turned off to buying tesla because of Musk tweets etc. I hear it from lots of my acquaintances . I own a model 3 for the last 4 years by the way. Just reporting ....

Reactions: smogne41
Don't know where you live but more people than you think are turned off to buying tesla because of Musk tweets etc. I hear it from lots of my acquaintances . I own a model 3 for the last 4 years by the way. Just reporting ....
Texas.

I have literally never had anyone ask about Musk when talking Tesla and EV’s. Not once and we keep pretty diverse company.

I’m not discounting the fact that it could be a regional or political leaning but like I said, convenience is king and it doesn’t get any more convenient than Tesla for EV’s if you can afford the cost to participate.

Texas.

I have literally never had anyone ask about Musk when talking Tesla and EV’s. Not once and we keep pretty diverse company.

I’m not discounting the fact that it could be a regional or political leaning but like I said, convenience is king and it doesn’t get any more convenient than Tesla for EV’s if you can afford the cost to participate.
I'm from New York. It's become very politicized and I think you are being quite niave if you don't understand the affect it's having on many people. I'm not arguing that there isn't plenty of demand for tesla cars ((I love my car and have been invested in tesla in a big way since 2018), but please don't underestimate some of its impact.

I'm from New York. It's become very politicized and I think you are being quite niave if you don't understand the affect it's having on many people. I'm not arguing that there isn't plenty of demand for tesla cars ((I love my car and have been invested in tesla in a big way since 2018), but please don't underestimate some of its impact.
They have Teslas and know who Elon is out in the wilds of Brooklyn these days? Wow, I'm impressed.........

They have Teslas and know who Elon is out in the wilds of Brooklyn these days? Wow, I'm impressed.........
How do I say this. :) I Waited on line overnight to put my name on a list for the model 3 before I knew what it would look like. People like me from Brooklyn who have invested in alternative energy stocks including tesla have made out quite well thank you. Ha.

Status
Not open for further replies.