Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happens if key fob is separated from running car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this is an old thread, but this exact situation happened to my wife and I last weekend. We had met friends out for drinks. They were going to one more pub. My wife dropped me off at that pub and continued on to get a few groceries. I had the key in my pocket. I had to get a ride to where she was and let her in the car.

I had her download the Tesla App after that occurrence in case it ever happens again.

She couldn't have driven like that could she? I thought once unlocked the car had to be connected to the phone via Bluetooth to actually be driven.

Hmmmm. Actually that never crossed my mind. I guess if the person sat in it within 2 minutes it might work.

Well, to be fair, it's easy for me to say with hindsight from my recliner without the slight panic of my wife on the phone complaining how I locked her out the car. In that state of mind, remote start would have been easy to miss. But now you have two fallback plans for next time!