Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happened to the FSD option????

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand how Tesla can get thousands of customers to pay thousands of dollars for a much-touted FSD feature coming at some point in the future, and then suddenly get rid of it, without ANY communications to each of those thousands of paying customers, to manage their expectations and reassure them that they will get the value they paid for.

What am I missing? How is this not another colossal communications-to-customer failure on Tesla's part?

It is still coming in the future.

To be honest, much of the full self-driving feature has less to do with the technology and more to do with government laws and regulations. Changing the laws will take way longer than the tech. In my opinion, it makes sense to get rid of the option for now.

I don't think many people bought it. They could probably ask for a refund or they will be early adopters as the features are released.

I don't understand how Tesla can get thousands of customers to pay thousands of dollars for a much-touted FSD feature coming at some point in the future, and then suddenly get rid of it, without ANY communications to each of those thousands of paying customers, to manage their expectations and reassure them that they will get the value they paid for.

What am I missing? How is this not another colossal communications-to-customer failure on Tesla's part?
Those of us that bought it ahead of time knew exactly what we were buying. When full self driving does come to pass...and I believe it will...Tesla will be able to charge whatever they want for it, and get it. 10K...20K? For those that need it (not want it) it will be priceless. For the 3K I paid for it...it will be a steal.

Dan

To be honest, much of the full self-driving feature has less to do with the technology and more to do with government laws and regulations. Changing the laws will take way longer than the tech. In my opinion, it makes sense to get rid of the option for now.

I don't think many people bought it. They could probably ask for a refund or they will be early adopters as the features are released.
You can now test an autonomous vehicle in CA without a test driver. What laws are you referring to?
Driverless Testing and Public Use Rules for Autonomous Vehicles Approved
$80 billion has been invested in to FSD technology. It’s a really hard problem!

Reactions: neroden

Regulatory approval might take a while, but currently it has more to do with technology than government. Other than the original demo they have yet to show anything else, for two years.

Reactions: preilly44
My theory on the business case. Just like the expensive roadster led to the less expensive S that eventually led to the less expensive 3 (refuse to use the word cheap), the EAP will get cheaper over time as the FSD gets more realistic. There is no cost, or at least minimal, to Tesla for the EAP so all of that money could be bankrolling the FSD research. I would bet that the masses are not willing to pay $5K (~14% of the cheapest expected car price) for this option. Plus as FSD gets to be more of a reality they will charge more for something that actually works. That's when the EAP will switch in price with the FSD and the EAP will be a couple thousand where as the FSD will become much more expensive. They would have to charge more for the FSD because people could loan out there car and make some real money so it would be worth much more. All that to say i am hoping to snag up EAP in a couple years for a grand or two.
I've been saying for some time FSD will become way more expensive when it becomes a seriously compelling product. I expect it to cost at least $10,000 eventually. All the people complaining they wasted $3,000 will eat their words.

On the other hand, I disagree with you EAP will decrease in price. There is no reason for that. When something improves, it usually increases in price or stays the same. Tesla won't leave money on the table. My guess is it stays at $5,000 indefinitely.

I doubt Tesla ever achieves Level 5 but that won't prevent autopilot revenues from exploding in coming years.

I've been saying for some time FSD will become way more expensive when it becomes a seriously compelling product. I expect it to cost at least $10,000 eventually. All the people complaining they wasted $3,000 will eat their words.

On the other hand, I disagree with you EAP will decrease in price. There is no reason for that. When something improves, it usually increases in price or stays the same. Tesla won't leave money on the table. My guess is it stays at $5,000 indefinitely.

I doubt Tesla ever achieves Level 5 but that won't prevent autopilot revenues from exploding in coming years.
What automotive technology doesn’t decrease in price over time?
Adaptive cruise control is now standard on Toyotas. That used to be an expensive option.

What automotive technology doesn’t decrease in price over time?
Adaptive cruise control is now standard on Toyotas. That used to be an expensive option.
Very large numbers of people are willing to pay $5,000 for EAP. As it continues improving, Tesla will continue to take the money.

In the future when EAP levels out and (for the most part) stops improving, combined with competitive pressures, it may decrease in price. I think we are a few years away from that. Maybe when legacy companies start producing large numbers of EVs (2021-22?) Tesla might face some downward pressure.

IMO, adaptive cruise control in ICEs won't impact Tesla much.

I'm sure they will say that those who paid for FSD should still expect to get FSD, and they just removed it as a pre-pay option for new customers.

In reality, I just expect More Enhanced Auto Pilot over time, which they could decide to either include in EAP or make it a premium feature which costs more to enable in software for those without FSD.

In my opinion Tesla has a really solid brand and platform to run their business on, but FSD with cheap camera hardware was an unrealistic promise and delaying on that promise year after year will be damaging for the brand over time. They are removing it while the damage is contained to early adopters.

Reactions: neroden
Very large numbers of people are willing to pay $5,000 for EAP. As it continues improving, Tesla will continue to take the money.

In the future when EAP levels out and (for the most part) stops improving, combined with competitive pressures, it may decrease in price. I think we are a few years away from that. Maybe when legacy companies start producing large numbers of EVs (2021-22?) Tesla might face some downward pressure.

IMO, adaptive cruise control in ICEs won't impact Tesla much.
I agree that Tesla will charge the profit maximizing price. EAP will be feature complete after they add automatic lane changing. I would expect only safety improvements in the future. Cadillac super cruise is only $2500. Plenty of people cross shop Teslas with ICE vehicles. I expect auto pilot will be like every other automotive technology and get cheaper over time.

I have no doubt a truely working FSD that does coast to coast is worth 10k. However, judging from Tesla’s past and recent development efforts, it will only be a half baked product just like AP/EAP. You’ll probably only get 3k worth of features.

Of course it's another colossal communications-to-customer failure on Tesla's part.

That said, *seriously*, anyone who bought FSD was buying a pig in a poke. I'm quite sure Tesla will refund your money if you ask for it back; they've been very good about that. If you want to wait for.... whenever they start offering FSD features... you can do that too.

I called Tesla just now to order any M3 with FSD. Rep said it wasn't available. He claimed that I should order online now and they'll update my configuration with the option when it becomes available next week.

My fear is that FSD option is not coming back.

...amazes me.

The way I see it: It's just like a crowdfunding program but instead of going to gofundme website, you go directly to Tesla website.

No one forces anyone into a crowdfunding program at all. It's voluntary.

One advantage of the program is to lock in your price and that is not a crazy thing to do. The other is owners will be the first to get its new FSD features in future with incremental updates.

There have been progress for EAP as V9 has demonstrated. FSD is based on EAP progress. New chip is coming next year too. Though it's been slow but it's not frozen.

Thus, it may take a bit longer but FSD will be here someday.

Status
Not open for further replies.