Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happened to the cpo inventory?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very strange. All those new cars but it didn't help bring the prices down. For me, even with stepping up my budget to a max of $75K, the CPO market is basically unchanged.

I'm suddenly curious. I might go calculate the average price from before the CPO purge and as of today and see what it looks like.

Hm...there's a next version idea for my search software -- calculate statistics.

Hidden cars are cars that appear to be for sale (they have a "Buy" button) but are not actually listed on the CPO website. You can try using the "Buy" button, but I do not know what will happen next. People have reported that these cars are available, some not, so your mileage may vary. If a car on the "hidden" list interests you, you can try the "Buy" button, or you might want to call Tesla and ask about it.

Okay, thanks. I should call to see where it is in case I don't want to pay shipping charges.

The inventory vehicles with low mileage seem to be priced right at retail pricing. Am I seeing that correct? Only advantage is quicker delivery I assume?

Yeah, that's what it looks like to me too. I really don't want to finance a car, so a S85 CPO car for around $55k is my target. There were plenty a couple of weeks ago when I didn't have the funds :-(

- - - Updated - - -

If you click on the VIN to pop up the car detail page, it should show the location (not true for all hidden cars).

I just signed up on EV CPO. It looks like the locations are being filled in too. Damn, I'm going to obsess over this site until I buy something :)

Can you buy extended warranty on the CPO inventory cars?

My understanding is no.

Terminology.

CPO = Pre-owned cars ("used") have their 4yr/50k warranty reset at the time of purchase but are not eligible for the ESA past that.

Inventory Cars= New cars used as demos or loaners which are sold as "new" -- are eligible for the ESA after the factory warranty runs out.

So be careful calling them "CPO Inventory" cars. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

What's the fastest way to filter for Ludicrous?

You'll need to subscribe, and then search for option codes: PX4D or BP01

Looks like 76 P90D cars have Ludicrous upgrade.

Cheapest P90DL: $117,150

How about a possibility that tesla did some data modeling on the influx of lease returns and resale guarantee coming in the next 60 days and built out the inventory with new spec vehicles that align to those to turn the customers into new car buyers/lease. This would be a slam dunk for new car delivery and replenish the CPO (not new) inventory in one shot

How about a possibility that tesla did some data modeling on the influx of lease returns and resale guarantee coming in the next 60 days and built out the inventory with new spec vehicles that align to those to turn the customers into new car buyers/lease. This would be a slam dunk for new car delivery and replenish the CPO (not new) inventory in one shot

Do we know if these cars actually exist? If so, did Tesla have the manufacturing capacity to build these without delaying the actual customer orders? Something does not add up. Maybe these 300 customers ordered, but changed their minds? Someone speculated a fleet order that fell through.

Quick facts: 400 new listings added today (by "new", I mean never before listed on EV-CPO).

Also, every single one is listed as an Inventor car. Seems strange somewhere Tesla was sitting on 400 Inventory cars.

LOL! That's a funny comment. Tesla is most certainly sitting on 4000+ inventory cars, not 400! A simple summation of production and delivery numbers of last many quarters will show that.
So, the new game plan seems to be to sell as many inventory cars till Mar 31st as possible. Some of these inventory (aka "loaners") have less mileage than what people buy from new car dealers.
Looks like cpo buyers have to wait till April 1st now.

Lots of maybes. Personally I thin JPUConn's idea of reading inventory for lease return customers is an interesting possibility.

I couldn't help but notice though, whenever Tesla releases something new, or makes a new wave of CPO's available, or discounts the CPO's like this past December, there is a wave of current owners complaining about Tesla not doing enough to maintain their residual values. Whenever Tesla does the opposite, like this time where they removed a bunch on low priced CPO's, effectively limiting supply of used Model S and therefore helping the residual values, then there is a different wave of people complaining. It seems no matter what Tesla does, there will be people complaining. I guess there is no pleasing everyone...

Lots of maybes. Personally I thin JPUConn's idea of reading inventory for lease return customers is an interesting possibility.

I couldn't help but notice though, whenever Tesla releases something new, or makes a new wave of CPO's available, or discounts the CPO's like this past December, there is a wave of current owners complaining about Tesla not doing enough to maintain their residual values. Whenever Tesla does the opposite, like this time where they removed a bunch on low priced CPO's, effectively limiting supply of used Model S and therefore helping the residual values, then there is a different wave of people complaining. It seems no matter what Tesla does, there will be people complaining. I guess there is no pleasing everyone...

*&#$^# residual values. Those people already have Tesla cars. :p

LOL! CPO buyers and CPO sellers are naturally at opposite ends of the trade :)

JPUConn's idea seems unlikely. Why wouldn't Tesla contact the lease holders and offer them to order new exactly how they want, or reserve the inventory cars they like? And why wouldn't they first try to sell the leased vehicle to them? Why would they list these on their site for the open market? IMHO, JPUConn's idea seems like a long shot and convoluted way to achieve something much simpler.

Looking at the few CPO P85s and P85+s still available, I randomly sampled a fair number and all seem to be heavily optioned. I've rarely happened upon RFS and Sub-Zero packages in the past but many of those left still have options like this. I don't recall reading this in any of the CPO threads. Is there a way to see if the vehicles that were removed were mostly those with few options? That might explain some of the distributions that Hank posted - base models would be available at a fairly consistent rate over time.