Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What future interior styling would you choose for a Model S Rev.2.0, or beyond ?

Which interior theme would you prefer to sit in for the next 5 years ?

• Pic 1

Votes: 40 58.8%
  • Pic 2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pic 3

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Pic 4

Votes: 16 23.5%
  • Pic 5

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Pic 6

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Pic 7

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Pic 8

• Pic 9

• Pic 10

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Put the 17" screen into #7 in place of all the knobs and I'd consider it (assuming the two-tone is optional).

I am generally not a fan of wood in vehicle interiors, and I lean toward a simpler aesthetic for dashboards. As I'm probably not getting a Performance version, CF is out, and I don't think I like the shininess of the piano black - I was really hoping Tesla would offer brushed aluminum as a trim option on the Model S.

Man, I keep looking at the S console, and it's so close:

- drop the stupid brightwork. Ideally, they'd shrink the active area of the screen slightly and let the non-display black glass meld with the dark surrounding wood. The chrome just accentuates the 'stick technology here' aesthetic. A little bit of buffer would allow for a touch of curve around the edges of the display. It wouldn't take much to bring back a whole lot of integrated-ness.

- surround the bottom of the display. Right now it looks like the hind end is sticking out of it's PJs. Again, if there was a bit of surrounding inactive glass, the leather could hug the bottom of the display and make it seem like it belonged.

But then, I look at the other consoles and they're all buttons and brightwork. Gack, ew, ew. (Except for #3, which is screaming "I'm trying too hard!!!")

I'd have to say #8 is the worst of the lot. The Jags (#2 and #5) both promise interface obtuseness with that damned dial (is that the iDrive effect?). I find #7 just lame - my arms aren't that short, why are you using up expensive interior volume like that? #9 has promise - take the touchscreen and integrate it in there, and you might have something.

But then I can go back to #1 and say the same thing! ;-)

Those choices (with the exception of the Subaru) seem to have similar "old world" luxury bent.
What about something more sporty like from a BMW instead of an Aston/Bently?
Or even more radical like Volvo's "Concept Universe" with large touchscreen (front and rear) in Scandnavian style:
Volvo-Concept-universe-014_main_image_object.jpg

(A bit like the Model X concept...)

Last edited:
#1 - Actually I'd like to see other comparisons, as all of the others have humongous center consoles. I'd like to see something a little more understated, like the Model S. Let's toss up some of the more direct comparisons, like the BMW 5 Series (I think that was the bogey that TM was targeting...)

#1 - Actually I'd like to see other comparisons, as all of the others have humongous center consoles. I'd like to see something a little more understated, like the Model S. Let's toss up some of the more direct comparisons, like the BMW 5 Series (I think that was the bogey that TM was targeting...)

Yeah, not sure why we're comparing the Model S to a Bentley and a Maserati. Some of these look like concept cars anyways. These are all so over-the-top. Lets get some Audis, BMWs, Mercedes, and Lexus interiors in the same price range as the Model S.

May not be a direct comparison but, I've always loved our Mini Clubman's dash - a little eccentric and flight cockpit-like maybe, but, very functional all the same.

Got ample storage for such a small car - two in-dash slots (a smaller one for keys, sunglasses etc. and a larger traditional one), space under the center stack for wallets/phones, door pockets, seatback pockets and oh, yes, two cupholders fore and two aft (built into the equivalent of C pillars)!

minidash.jpg

After 48 votes, it looks like the Existing Model S layout has won exactly 2/3rds of the votes. Which is higher than I would have thought given comments elsewhere on the forum, so perhaps the majority of people basically like it - and you cant please all the people all the time.

Yeah, not sure why we're comparing the Model S to a Bentley and a Maserati. Some of these look like concept cars anyways. These are all so over-the-top. Lets get some Audis, BMWs, Mercedes, and Lexus interiors in the same price range as the Model S.

Ok, here's a selection of recent interiors from high'ish end German cars, loosely around the $50k-100k range, and a couple of random ones thrown in for good measure .. :)

MercEclass2011.jpg

AudiA82011.jpg

20117series.jpg

AudiS52011.jpg

AudiRS6C62010.jpg

20117series.jpg

chevyvolt2011.jpg

porschecayenne.jpg

Lexus2011C250.jpg

Myold2005RS6.jpg

somefluff.jpg

It's still hands down the beta version for me. Everything else seems cluttered. I really didn't care for the alpha setup-I had nightmaric visions of Roger Moore giving a cheesy smile ( but that didn't stop me from getting a reservation).

It's still hands down the beta version for me. Everything else seems cluttered. I really didn't care for the alpha setup-I had nightmaric visions of Roger Moore giving a cheesy smile ( but that didn't stop me from getting a reservation).

I agree with 132. From a look and feel perspective, after looking at all the pictures posted in this thread, I just like the look and feel of the center space in the Beta. That's just my personal opinion. The open space does definitely distinguish the Model S from all the other cars that have been pictured here!

Now functionality is another matter. I'll just have to see how the open storage space works once we start driving the car as an every day driver. I did stop by the Bellevue store to take a close look at the center space again and I think it will work well for the storage needs that my wife and I have.

Ok, here's a selection of recent interiors from high'ish end German cars, loosely around the $50k-100k range, and a couple of random ones thrown in for good measure .. :)

I'll take the Paris Hilton interior, as long as she comes along for the ride ;) I have to say that most of these other interiors do have a warmer, more luxurious look to them. The Model S interior does have a technological, sterile look that doesn't seem as cozy. Tough to describe in words. Certainly the Model S has a cleaner look. And I for one welcome the lack of buttons and knobs that can clutter a traditional dash. However, I often wonder if the 17" is too good for its own good. It sort of detracts from the look a bit, since it sticks out like a sore thumb. Perhaps a smaller sized screen, maybe even a 10" screen (the size of an iPad) would have been sufficient and it could lie more center in the dash. As it is now, it looks like it's pushing all the way to the edges of the dash and then some.