Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What exactly is Paint Armor?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I decided not to go with the Tesla paint armor on my recent order but trying to understand options on full body solution. My motivation is to keep the car from getting rock pits - I've always done the careful regular car and my cars paint looks great a decade later except these $%^%$# rock pits! Also interested in any protection it affords for door dings... In reading that this technique is really a wrap that can include color is it ridiculous to just wrap a car later if rock pits get objectionable? (Maybe the stuff won't adhere to messed up paint???)

Sorry for my total ignorance about paint armor - hope you folks can enlighten me!

I have my entire car wrapped and am quite glad I did. It has protected my paint from a lug nut thrown off a camper at highway speeds, a number of rocks and something thrown out a 2nd story window in the city. Though, whatever was thrown out the window did dent the hood, but it didn't scratch the paint so a little paintless dent removal and all was good.

Depending on how hard the door giving your car the door ding is swung it may protect you from door dings or not but it will protect the paint so you won't need it repainted just maybe the dent removed.

If you get a chip in your paint before you have it wrapped you may be able to still see it under the wrap. Really depends on where it is and how deep it is. I have one on my bumper where you can see the chip. Luckily its in a spot where most won't look.

If you can afford it, it truly gives you peace of mind. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I have my entire car wrapped and am quite glad I did. It has protected my paint from a lug nut thrown off a camper at highway speeds, a number of rocks and something thrown out a 2nd story window in the city. Though, whatever was thrown out the window did dent the hood, but it didn't scratch the paint so a little paintless dent removal and all was good.

Depending on how hard the door giving your car the door ding is swung it may protect you from door dings or not but it will protect the paint so you won't need it repainted just maybe the dent removed.

If you get a chip in your paint before you have it wrapped you may be able to still see it under the wrap. Really depends on where it is and how deep it is. I have one on my bumper where you can see the chip. Luckily its in a spot where most won't look.

If you can afford it, it truly gives you peace of mind. Hope that helps.

Perfect, Liz! Just the information I was looking for. Thanks!

I decided not to go with the Tesla paint armor on my recent order but trying to understand options on full body solution. My motivation is to keep the car from getting rock pits - I've always done the careful regular car and my cars paint looks great a decade later except these $%^%$# rock pits! Also interested in any protection it affords for door dings... In reading that this technique is really a wrap that can include color is it ridiculous to just wrap a car later if rock pits get objectionable? (Maybe the stuff won't adhere to messed up paint???)

Sorry for my total ignorance about paint armor - hope you folks can enlighten me!

XPEL ultimate is expensive but the one many seem to go for. It is a clear film. The Telsa Paint Armor is the Avery Nano Fusion Film I believe. I have that as a partial wrap on my car and it looks nice too and is cheaper.

XPEL ultimate is expensive but the one many seem to go for. It is a clear film. The Telsa Paint Armor is the Avery Nano Fusion Film I believe. I have that as a partial wrap on my car and it looks nice too and is cheaper.

Thanks! The demo videos on the XPEL Ultimate look simply amazing! They recommend getting their sealant applied every 3 months - is that something hard to do?

Perfect, Liz! Just the information I was looking for. Thanks!

We wrapped mainly the hood, full wrap. The ppf guy said that even bug juice stained the paint and would show up under the film. You want the paint as pristine as possible, and then you cover it. We got our film installed the next day after we got the car. They remove all wax and install the film.

All I have EVER done was to wax the ppf. No special anything. No sealants. I use a spray wax, carnauba in water base. I have used this now for going on two years. Hood and front end look fantastic. Even when a guy, wearing dirty gloves, closed my frunk and left scratches, the wax eventually "healed" them, by filling them in. Rock pits also tend to get filled in. The rock pits don't go into the paint, and that's the main idea. The paint is still perfect, the ppf looks like DEEP wax.

Not sure that doing the whole car is vital. Wherever you might get rock chips would be more practical. The only place I wish I had done is the 6 inches or so directly in front of the rear wheels, where the front wheels kick sand (especially used on icy roads) back to the rear wheels where the body flares out. Anyway, we are pleased, very pleased with how our paint job is lasting due to the ppf, and we didn't pay a fortune for the ppf, though we felt we did for the paint job.

We wrapped mainly the hood, full wrap. The ppf guy said that even bug juice stained the paint and would show up under the film. You want the paint as pristine as possible, and then you cover it. We got our film installed the next day after we got the car. They remove all wax and install the film.

All I have EVER done was to wax the ppf. No special anything. No sealants. I use a spray wax, carnauba in water base. I have used this now for going on two years. Hood and front end look fantastic. Even when a guy, wearing dirty gloves, closed my frunk and left scratches, the wax eventually "healed" them, by filling them in. Rock pits also tend to get filled in. The rock pits don't go into the paint, and that's the main idea. The paint is still perfect, the ppf looks like DEEP wax.

Not sure that doing the whole car is vital. Wherever you might get rock chips would be more practical. The only place I wish I had done is the 6 inches or so directly in front of the rear wheels, where the front wheels kick sand (especially used on icy roads) back to the rear wheels where the body flares out. Anyway, we are pleased, very pleased with how our paint job is lasting due to the ppf, and we didn't pay a fortune for the ppf, though we felt we did for the paint job.

Ok! Much appreciated. Also thanks to jerry33 - will do on everything...

A guy in OC on the official TM forums will do the front 1/3 of the car for 1500 (hood, fenders, grill, bumper, a-pillars, mirrors). Here in SD, friend of mine did the WHOLE car for 3k.. I did the front 1/3rd and the rear for 2k... it took 2 days, I didn't want to drive up to OC

Can an in get info for your OC guy? Front third is what I'm leaning towards

Paint Armor is CRAP

Don't know how it works in Texas, but the paint armor crap here is smooth, shiny, clear, looks like liquid. I have not tried using a sander or orbital polisher on it, but since it is softer than paint, I wouldn't recommend that.

I have an acquaintance who "washes" his car by getting a damp towel and rubbing really hard. His not armored paint is a mass of tiny scratches and swirls. For some people, that's what a car should look like, while mine still looks like glass at 65,000 miles and 2 1/2 years, so maybe glass look is what you mean by crap. Or maybe you don't like glass look.

And there are MANY brands, with different properties. You can get crap, or really crap, I imagine. :smile:

Don't know how it works in Texas, but the paint armor crap here is smooth, shiny, clear, looks like liquid. I have not tried using a sander or orbital polisher on it, but since it is softer than paint, I wouldn't recommend that.

Right, you don't use a polisher on it. My paint armour in Texas appears just like yours--two years after installation. The only kind I've seen that looks bad (assuming a high quality product) is the kind that only covers half the hood; then there is a dirt line.

For paint armor, paint protection, clear film, clear wrap, etc....it all comes down to 2 very important factors:

1. Installer skill set - this is a highly skilled craft and take many years to become proficient. Look out for installers that do not have years upon years of experience and just began to offer this service. Most likely they are not using an in-house installer and just bringing in a vendor to perform the work in the shop and claim it's their own. Going this route, for the consumer, would mean you are paying more than you would for the same installer as the shop will upcharge the service to make a margin.

2. Precut vs. custom - most installers on the market use precut templates. These would work just fine and there are various software programs on the market...some better than others. Beware again on installer experience / skill. Many companies offer a 2-3 day course and they become "certified", which means very little in this craft. On the custom side, this is where true craftsmen are distinguished and actually very difficult to find companies that can perform a custom app correctly.

Below is an example of a precut installation (NOT done by us of course)...the edges are not wrapped, especially on the corners, loose edges, and you will get multi-piece joining seams. This is all highly subjective. Some owners would be perfectly fine with this and others not. Be sure to look at the work in person and go from there. Quality installers and shops wouldn't hesitate to show off their work. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 20150409_163321.jpg
    20150409_163321.jpg
    789.7 KB · Views: 147
  • 20150409_163341.jpg
    20150409_163341.jpg
    722.7 KB · Views: 113
  • 20150409_163357.jpg
    20150409_163357.jpg
    710.3 KB · Views: 109
  • 20150409_163410.jpg
    20150409_163410.jpg