Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

what do you think of this article?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Renewable energy from power company or private solar takes renewable energy from the sun, wind, water and powers your EV with 0 emissions......even if electric company is non renewable driving EV is still the biggest impact any individual can have in reducing CO2 into the the atmosphere.....
Article is nonsense .....

Actually everybody here can voluntarily switch to green juice for the whole living. Difference in price is very small.
So it is also possible in US?

Hard to answer. I think it may vary state to state. I live in Pennsylvania. We see ads touting how unusual it is that we can choose our electrical supplier. So, I guess that it is unusual, but I don't really know. I had about 15 providers to choose from, and I chose 1 that was entirely renewable energy and it was ever so slightly LESS expensive than what I had been using for 17 years.

Illiterate. The article, for example, goes on at length claiming there are huge line losses—as high as 50%—in electric transmission lines. Actually, these losses average 2% to 5%. Taking all losses from power plant to customer, the total runs around 10 to 15%. This is just one of the gross mistakes in the article.

Hard to answer. I think it may vary state to state. I live in Pennsylvania. We see ads touting how unusual it is that we can choose our electrical supplier. So, I guess that it is unusual, but I don't really know. I had about 15 providers to choose from, and I chose 1 that was entirely renewable energy and it was ever so slightly LESS expensive than what I had been using for 17 years.

Where I live in Missouri, the power company is the power company, and you either buy electricity from them or not. It's been that way forever.

I charge my Tesla from the solar system that also services my house. Even though I am using the very inefficient 120 volt charging, I can drive the car 50 miles a day and still keep it's charge up. My total electric use for the year was -1.4 mega watts (meaning that my electricity bill was actually a credit of $42.00)!!!

I haven't been able to figure how to convert solar to gasoline for my Mustang yet.

As for the article...

'An electric auto will convert 5-10% of the energy in natural gas into motion.
There is a wide range here but I don't think even peaker plants are that low.
Efficient NG plants are in the range of 50-60% efficiency;
About 7% is lost in transmission;
And battery to wheels is about 90% in a Tesla.

All together
0.55*0.93*0.9= 46%

Reactions: arnis and nwdiver