Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are the things that cant be "easily" fixed after deliver and should warrant a "refuse delivery"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It appears that things like the tail lights and frunk/trunk alignment are a snap to "make right". Significant paint issues (not just a chip or a swirl) are likely NOT easy for the SC to fix. Assuming a buyer has some patience to let the dealer have the car for a day or two or perhaps a couple of mobile appointments (Im not talking 2 weeks with the dealer or a paint shop!), what are fairly easy to fix items that people have experienced with Model 3 and Y?

Pick up June 30th MSM/White/Perf/19"/FSD/Towhitch
VIN 23xxx

Reactions: kevin1
Personally, I don’t think the panel gaps can be fixed. Same with poor seal application. Not to the point where added road/wind noise isn’t going to be an issue.

But I am especially sensitive to those things. YMMV.

Personally, I don’t think the panel gaps can be fixed. Same with poor seal application. Not to the point where added road/wind noise isn’t going to be an issue.

But I am especially sensitive to those things. YMMV.
Interesting. I had thought most panel gaps had been realigned. I certainly get that wind noise is definitely something that might be harder to "find" and then to "fix". And if it is a big annoyance for someone, it will drive you crazy everytime you are on the highway!

Most panel gap issues or trim gap issues can be fixed without too much effort. Also keep in mind that gaps around the car come in varying widths for certain reasons and functionality. I think there are too many people who think all their gaps should be a perfect 3mm in width or something. What you’re are looking for is consistency and proper alignment. So if your trunk hatch has a 1/4” gap on the left side, it should be a 1/4” gap on the right side as well. The 1/4” gap between the two doors on the left side should match the 1/4” gap between the two doors on the right side of the car. Some of the gaps are quite small. If you see a gap that’s larger than 1/2”, something is wrong... But I do think some people have unrealistic expectations with some of this or it’s their first car and they have this giant checklist, but truly don’t know what they’re looking at.

We took delivery yesterday and our fit and finish on our new Y is perfect. All gaps match up from side to side, doors and trim line up as they should. Probably has the best panel alignment of any vehicle I currently own! And I own several to say the least.

I would refuse delivery for dents or curiously mismatched panel alignments or anything that requires it to go to a body shop. On the other hand, I would probably not refuse delivery for paint issues. In fact, if the paint is bad enough where the car needs to be repainted, that’s almost a bonus... They have to pick up the tab for a new paint job and you could have the chance to get a one of a kind Model Y by repainting it some crazy color that no one else has.