Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Welder outlet charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One reason for the 6-50 adapter in the early days was for customers that prewired for the HPWC before the HPWC's were shipping, and Model S's were being delivered. Because the pre-wire for the HPWC did not include a neutral, a 14-50 could not be used as a temporary outlet with the HPWC prewire. Tesla recommended using a 50 Amp breaker and a 6-50 outlet with the 6-50 adapter until HPWC's shipped.

Wha? I never knew that before, and now I’m kind of irritated. For Tesla buyers who are putting in an outlet just for charging their Tesla, they don’t need the neutral, and they could have been saving some money on the cabling by putting in 6-50 outlets. But I guess I see the advantage, though. Yes, it’s wasting some money on the upfront install, but it’s making people get a 14-50 adapter, which is much more commonly found in a lot of different places at RV parks and campgrounds. So, when people are out on a trip, they have more chance to find somewhere to charge if they need it than they would find if they were trying to locate a 6-50. It’s forcing people to eat their vegetables, which will be good for them in the long run.

Can you tell me where you found it?
Here is the direct link... hope this helps. Gen 1 NEMA Adapters

1635872017147.png

1635872088491.png

Last edited: