Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird Spots on back Window

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello I have had my beautiful Tesla Model 3 since June 2019. Last week I noticed something very strange and I have been seeing more and more of these spots. At first I thought it was bird poop but it was not. I also thought it was from the inside but it is not. I do not park in a garage and I do tend to park under trees for the shade but not every day. It is stored outside. My guess is something is going on with the tint.

Should I take it to the repair shop so they can look at it or do I call for maintenance. Also what are the cost of maintenance costs, I know silly question.

Attachments

• IMG_20190810_123140.jpg
    IMG_20190810_123140.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_20190810_133330.jpg
    IMG_20190810_133330.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 193
That’s weird looking, it looks as if the tint is separating from the glass, or a layer of glass didn’t get glued correctly. I would show this to the service center or send pics to my mobile tech. This definitely isn’t normal in my opinion. I have never seen this issue in the several years I’ve been visiting these and other Tesla forums.

Good luck, and let us know what happens!

If the spots are white/clear in the photos, why would it be the window glass as the problem if tint is applied over it? Wouldn’t it look weird in that case but still tinted?? I think it’s got to be the tint. Not sure why bleached out spots though. Definitely weird and can’t wait to hear why.

Edit:
Maybe point of clarification, did you have the glass tinted with film or is this just the window as is from Tesla that has the IR and UV tint in it? i assumed the first but maybe not.

Last edited:
If the spots are white/clear in the photos, why would it be the window glass as the problem if tint is applied over it? Wouldn’t it look weird in that case but still tinted?? I think it’s got to be the tint. Not sure why bleached out spots though. Definitely weird and can’t wait to hear why.

Edit:
Maybe point of clarification, did you have the glass tinted with film or is this just the window as is from Tesla that has the IR and UV tint in it? i assumed the first but maybe not.

I added no additional tint to any windows so nothing has changed

I had factory imperfections in my rear window. There were three small "clear" spots in the middle of the tint. It was smooth on both the outside and the inside. The SC replaced my rear window (under warranty).

That is good to hear. Mind telling me how long did that take? I probably would have to make another appointment to go to an actual service center. The mobile service works better for now for my schedule.

That is good to hear. Mind telling me how long did that take? I probably would have to make another appointment to go to an actual service center. The mobile service works better for now for my schedule.

This work (obviously) can't be performed via mobile service. It took my nearest service center about three weeks to get the glass and it took two days for the work. I did have the option of bringing my car to a local (Tesla-certified) body shop, but I chose to go with the service center.

This work (obviously) can't be performed via mobile service. It took my nearest service center about three weeks to get the glass and it took two days for the work. I did have the option of bringing my car to a local (Tesla-certified) body shop, but I chose to go with the service center.

Wow two days... damn. Did you get a loaner while it was being fixed? I heard Tesla does if it gets fixed at a service center

All,

I scheduled the mobile service but they just defaulted to the actual service center. Very painless, they ordered the parts ahead of time and it literally took 3 hours to fix. Im in Maryland so maybe not as busy as California or what not. Let's see how this new window works out, I hope I never have to replace it again. It was in fact the tint, they just agreed with me. The only pain was the Uber credit LOL.

Thanks everyone!

Reactions: SMAlset