Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird goo from leaving window open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So to keep the screen on and SLOOOOOOWWWWLLLLLYYY downloading navaigstion dara update today I left the passenger window open so I could reach in and touch the screen. Not sure it mattere but it seemed that it was making more progress with me in the car and screen staying on.

Anyway that side of the car is in the sun and it's only 60F out but when I rolled the window up this weird goo appeared. The window was all the way down so this is something that came from fairly deep inside the door. It didn't wash off with regular garden hose pressure and it isnt bird poop.

It's about 50% downloaded at roughly 200kb per second. Pic was earlier, now the green progress bar is under the o in Navigation.

I'll just scrape it off with a glass scraping razor? Something to worry about? Again it's 50F less than the worst of the summer heat but I don't usually leave the windows open for long periods.

Attachments

• 20231013_154148.jpg
    20231013_154148.jpg
    331.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 20231013_153357.jpg
    20231013_153357.jpg
    475.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 20231013_101426.jpg
    20231013_101426.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 47
It’s fairly easy to remove this chrome window trim, roll the window down again and lift it carefully up - only upwards, as otherwise you will bend it and sure you don’t want this. Take a torch and poke in the gab, if there is no weird stuff then just clean that trim piece with hot water and reinstall. As it seems by the photos definitely all others needs some cleaning as well…

Reactions: zoomer0056
It’s fairly easy to remove this chrome window trim, roll the window down again and lift it carefully up - only upwards, as otherwise you will bend it and sure you don’t want this. Take a torch and poke in the gab, if there is no weird stuff then just clean that trim piece with hot water and reinstall. As it seems by the photos definitely all others needs some cleaning as well…
Yup. Easy to remove, I did this when installing PPF. Start gently with the part by the handle. By torch, he means flashlight.

Reactions: KalJoMoS
No, I said - as corrected by @zoomer0056 - use flashlight to find that goo or this weird stuff and clean it out. I suggested to remove this window chrome trim piece as this is in contact with the glass and is acting as a sealing. Everything that’s on the window outside will eventually get touched by this sealing so just clean it. I predict there is no damage, or I can be wrong as well.

Now with the fresh eyes in the morning looking again on the photos, it seems the goo is right in line with the door handle? If so it is apparently that automotive sealing stuff they use on the plastic cover that seals every door handle. If this is true then the cover has detached from its place and is probably hangin on there with a few section of the sealing material or has fallen in the door cavity. Best is to find it and attach back as it’s autumn now and next is winter.