Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird Problem. Car wont go into drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So was showing the M3 to a friend last night. Got in using my phone key no problem. Doors unlocked, screen turned on, everything seemed good to go. Then, when I went to put the car in gear - both D and R, it wouldn't change gears. Mutlitple attempts failed. We ended up getting out of the car, waiting for it to auto-lock, then re-entering again and it worked fine...

Odd issue, thought i would post to see if anyone has experienced and what the problem could be. When I got in the car I put my phone in the center console. I expect the issue is that the phone lost connection to the car after unlocking it but seems very odd since it was in the car and in the open (i wasn't sitting on it).

Yep this happened to me with my RWD a few times, it lasts about a minute and then you're able to get into gear.

Reported to Tesla and they are aware of this but don't really know why it's happening.

Next time it occurs when you're using "Phone as a Key" and the car won't shift into gear, on the screen, see if you can bring up "Controls", then "Locks". Your phone should be listed there and should say "Active" underneath it. — You can actually simulate this by using "Phone as a Key", unlock and get into the car, immediately put your phone into "Airplane Mode" or turn off "Bluetooth".

Less likely issue, is you may have a defective or finicky control stalk.

I hope you called Tesla immediately. 8777983752.
Since you just got your car. If anything goes wrong, call immediately. They can look into your call and see it.
I called today, they tried to fix it. Couldnt, i have to go to SC for a sw change.
I got a new set of 2018 wheels, tmps wont recognize them. Easy fix.

I had this happen to me a couple of times over the span of a few days. Once I tried “rebooting” and that seemed to fix it, but another time even that didn’t work. I was a long way from home and was beginning to panic, when a warning came on the screen saying something about pressing the brake to shift into gear.

I had been pressing the brake, but I pressed it harder and then it went into gear. It has been two weeks since it last happened to me, so I am hoping that the problem was just me not pressing the brake hard enough.

The thing that confuses me is that there is a warning about putting the car into gear, and if that was the problem, why did I see the warning only once? Maybe pressing the brake lightly meant that the warning didn’t show up, but was not enough to allow me to shift into gear?