Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weight Reduction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is good research on magnetic energy storage -- it certainly will be cheaper than batteries, but I'm not sure about the energy density (kWh/kg). Lots of work being done in this area by, e.g. ABB.

Or the energy density in kWh/m^3 also. As far as I know you need pretty big superconductor loops, and some serious structural framework to keep the loop in place.

you'd probably get more mass reduction by running on a treadmill instead. LOL sorry, I just crack myself up sometimes. no offense intended, just messing around :p

dont think so, im 140lbs 5'8" right where i want to be according to the bmi rating.

i googled my question again... to death this time...

found this on the miata forums (miatas have aluminum hoods)

stock 17.5 lbs
fibreglass 16.5 lbs
carbon 14 lbs

savings of 18%, you can gain additional savings by using hood pins instead of latch (probably wont go that far), im thinking you can save several hundred lbs from converting all panels to CF. I doubt anyone has a readily available kit though.

dont think so, im 140lbs 5'8" right where i want to be according to the bmi rating.

i googled my question again... to death this time...

found this on the miata forums (miatas have aluminum hoods)

stock 17.5 lbs
fibreglass 16.5 lbs
carbon 14 lbs

savings of 18%, you can gain additional savings by using hood pins instead of latch (probably wont go that far), im thinking you can save several hundred lbs from converting all panels to CF. I doubt anyone has a readily available kit though.

Lancer Evolutions also have aluminum hoods, and the Seibon CF hood weighs MORE. Miata != every other car.

Why don't you replace your 12V with a motorcycle battery, remove the A/C, or replace your stock seats with CF-shelled racing seats (don't even bother trying to justify your need for heated seats)? Hell, why not remove the rear seats altogether?

Some back-to-earth points regarding one of the jocular suggestions raised:

PV4EV:
Not forgetting to put a mini wind turbine on the back,

sounds fun and fine at first, but because, as
Gray points out
air resistance is the largest enemy when talking about cruising as it scales to the cube (I think) of velocity
AND
because of that great party-pooper, the Second Law of Thermodynamics,

then emplacing any wind turbine is just about the single most devastating REDUCER​ of mileage one can do to a vehicle. Rats! Foiled again!

oil companies will kill this for sure...

the only thing holding us back from this technology is greed and money, oil companies want to maintain their hold, everyone is poor and cant afford to spend the money on RD/infrastructure/etc,

If this were true then Elon would have been assassinated by now. You can buy these things online right now for a few hundred $$$. The only thing holding this back is either will power, or it doesn't really work. (yet)

631695628_o.jpg

Here's what ya need!!!