Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Website/Design Studio Update - Twin Chargers no longer available from factory

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I bought factory-supplied dual chargers plus HPWC the cost was $1500 + $1200 = $2700. Now the cost for same capability + charging is $2000 (installed) + $750 = $2750. By my reckoning, not bad for two years delta. In the intervening time, there was probably a worst case time to buy (retrofit 2nd charger at $3600 + $1200 HPWC = $4800), e.g., a few days ago...

EU cars delivered on day one (like September 2013) have been able to charge 32A single phase when equipped with single charger. How? By using the blue UMC adapter. That blue adapter simply bridges the three phase pins of the UMC to the L pin on the blue adapter. Check the wiki here
Some French guy actually achieved 63A single phase (dual chargers), it's on these forums somewhere in the French section.
Being able to charge 32A single phase does not mean the car has dual chargers.

This is expected, since 1x32A on single charger equipped car will only work when the phase pins are bridged, so either create your own type2 cable/charger that can do this (like the French guy did, do not try this if you don't know what you're doing) or use the UMC with the blue adapter.

EU cars with single charger can only get 16A out of a 7.6kW 32A single phase type2 outlet, using a type2 cable.

Charging at 32A single phase blue sockets with the UMC will work with a single charger, due to special wiring in the UMC. But not 32A single phase type2 outlets using a standard type2 cable.

Last edited:
EU cars delivered on day one (like September 2013) have been able to charge 32A single phase when equipped with single charger. How? By using the blue UMC adapter. That blue adapter simply bridges the three phase pins of the UMC to the L pin on the blue adapter. Check the wiki here
Some French guy actually achieved 63A single phase (dual chargers), it's on these forums somewhere in the French section.
Being able to charge 32A single phase does not mean the car has dual chargers.

This is expected, since 1x32A on single charger equipped car will only work when the phase pins are bridged, so either create your own type2 cable/charger that can do this (like the French guy did, do not try this if you don't know what you're doing) or use the UMC with the blue adapter.

Fascinating info thank you. I do have a UMC actually but have never continuity checked it to see if the Live on the blue commando is bridged to L1/2/3 into the UMC itself.

UK cars were originally expected to be delivered with the UMC as standard but about 2 months before first deliveries Tesla switched their plans and decided to include a Type 2 cable instead and not offer the UMC.

This is because the UK has a government grant scheme where an EV owner can get a 32A Type 2 charge point installed at their home completely free (including installation, cabling, and the unit itself) so of course this is a very popular option here. Nobody is installing commando sockets for EV charging in the UK.

Tesla initially went through a process where they worked with one of the grant-eligible charge point suppliers to develop a "tesla-specific" charge point (with the phases bridged inside the charge point) but shortly after the first few of these were installed they backtracked and removed them, and evidently made the decision to build initial UK cars with dual chargers.

TM staff are now adamant that new UK RHD Model S's are not going to be built with dual chargers from the factory.

I've had my P85 for over two years and over 50K miles, and have used only a 14-50 outlet for extended periods twice.

Except for rare cases, the charging rate with a single charger and a 14-50 outlet should be fast enough. I can recall only one time when I really needed the faster charging rate of the HPWC and dual chargers - when I did quite a bit of driving during the day - and then went on a road trip in the evening.

While the HPWC looks cool, from a practical standpoint, based on my experience, it's probably not worth spending an extra $3500 to get the dual chargers and HPWC. A second UMC for use in the garage (so that there's always a UMC in the car for an emergency) is probably what most owners need.

And if the option is still available from the local Service Center - then owners can still get the extra charging - if they really want to get it.

I've had my P85 for over two years and over 50K miles, and have used only a 14-50 outlet for extended periods twice.

Except for rare cases, the charging rate with a single charger and a 14-50 outlet should be fast enough. I can recall only one time when I really needed the faster charging rate of the HPWC and dual chargers - when I did quite a bit of driving during the day - and then went on a road trip in the evening.

While the HPWC looks cool, from a practical standpoint, based on my experience, it's probably not worth spending an extra $3500 to get the dual chargers and HPWC. A second UMC for use in the garage (so that there's always a UMC in the car for an emergency) is probably what most owners need.

And if the option is still available from the local Service Center - then owners can still get the extra charging - if they really want to get it.
Most people who have opted for dual chargers didn't do so because they routinely needed faster charging at home. They did so to take advantage of high amp level 2 charging (HPWC or Clipper Creek high amp J1772) when away from home.

The issue with it only being available at the service center "if they really want it" is most buyers won't know it's available if it's not listed among the options when they order their car. You don't think it's necessary-- fine, that's why it's always been optional rather than standard. But at least Tesla should keep it as an option and not something hidden on an accessories page that most buyers will never see.

Most people who have opted for dual chargers didn't do so because they routinely needed faster charging at home. They did so to take advantage of high amp level 2 charging (HPWC or Clipper Creek high amp J1772) when away from home.

The issue with it only being available at the service center "if they really want it" is most buyers won't know it's available if it's not listed among the options when they order their car. You don't think it's necessary-- fine, that's why it's always been optional rather than standard. But at least Tesla should keep it as an option and not something hidden on an accessories page that most buyers will never see.

Especially now that the Accessories page is hidden. It's as if they don't want to sell any accessories.

Especially now that the Accessories page is hidden. It's as if they don't want to sell any accessories.

Doesn't seem that hidden to me, there's an accessories link on the Model S page. They did get rid of a bunch of clutter on their main page and the drop down menus they had on the header. There's good reason to get rid of the drop down menus because they're hard to use on touch devices. However, what I do think they should do is add a nice big prominent accessories link in the dashboard since they've got a lot of unused space under the car once it's delivered.

also the Tech Package now lists "Lane keeping with automatic steering" and "Self-parking", even though those are not yet enabled. were they there before, or is this new also?

either way seems like priority items for TM to enable, since they're listed on the sales page as features...

also the Tech Package now lists "Lane keeping with automatic steering" and "Self-parking", even though those are not yet enabled. were they there before, or is this new also?

either way seems like priority items for TM to enable, since they're listed on the sales page as features...
They've been listed for a while, definitely prior to the most recent update. I do agree that it appears to make them fairly high-stakes items to deliver.

Some reasons why I chose dual charger and HPWC - in a word, flexibility:
- faster charging on the road if available
- HPWC is only $150 more than the extra charging cable, garage wiring was only $100 more for 100A vs 50A
- fast charging at home to fit in cheapest rate window at night
- fast charging at home if needing to charge mid-day