Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Web browser doesn't support lets encrypt certificates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I accepted delivery on December 16th, and have been loving every minute of my Tesla. I had a strange issue, where the web browser would load most things fine (although slow as molasses even on Wifi), except for a few sites (including ones that I have created). All of the other internet features work (internet music streaming, maps, etc...), and I have tried on both WiFi and cellular networks. I have tried resetting the center console as well as the driver's console. I believe I have narrowed it down to the use of a "bad" TLS certificate (or at least one that the car doesn't trust, such as one from the lets encrypt CA). It doesn't display a certificate error, but a generic page won't load error. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there an official way to ask for a root CA package update from Tesla?

I don't think they've said the browser will be updated but the kernel will be updated which will make the browser feel snappier. More than likely it will still suck but a little bit less. I wish the device was recognized as a tablet for mobile browsing.. sites like ESPN etc have mobile friendly sites but the Tesla user agent is not recognized as a tablet and thus loads the entire desktop version and inevitably times out each time.

• Funny
Reactions: lunitiks
I think this whole "kernel update" meme is based off of one Elon Musk tweet and subject to his own "reality distortion field".... I for one don't think we'll see any material changes in the kernel or browser any time soon. Remember when he promised Chrome and an SDK back in 2013 or 14? Yeah, that.

My WAG is that if the kernel gets updated, we as end users aren't going to be able to perceive the direct effects of that change. (This guess based on years of making Linux/*BSD-based appliances, but no Tesla-specific insider information.)

Anyway. I haven't experienced the effects reported by the OP. I guess if I were the OP I'd shoot off a note to ServiceHelpNA@, but be prepared for nothing to happen, because it's a sufficiently esoteric problem/request that the first-line support people may not know how to triage it.

Bruce.