Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Washington State Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This makes me even madder because the "system" doesn't make any sense at all. It just isn't working but no one is trying to fix it (from an outsiders perspective, obviously I don't know the inner workings of Tesla).
Mmm. I kind of see it differently. The system is designed to benefit Tesla production and delivery, and not for the individual customer. Why would they need to? Demand is high. They’ll shrug and let you walk and sell the same car to the next person. So they’re going to do what makes sense for them to churn out cars more efficiently instead of first come first serve.

Disclaimer: this is purely speculation/ my opinion.

This makes me even madder because the "system" doesn't make any sense at all. It just isn't working but no one is trying to fix it (from an outsiders perspective, obviously I don't know the inner workings of Tesla).
Not that it'll be helpful but prior to ordering, I pored over these forums and Reddit and had a fairly decent comprehension that the "Tesla experience" is pretty uneven at best. EDD's are going to bounce around, until you've got a VIN assigned, and even then there seems to be some RNG god you've either appeased or angered.

You're at month 2, many people have been waiting a significantly longer time, and will wait far longer (MYLR in particular) to get their car. Rather than getting worked up over something nobody here can control (but commiserate and grip about with you I suppose), just take a deep breath and either accept that it's wonky, or cancel the order and move on.

Mmm. I kind of see it differently. The system is designed to benefit Tesla production and delivery, and not for the individual customer. Why would they need to? Demand is high. They’ll shrug and let you walk and sell the same car to the next person. So they’re going to do what makes sense for them to churn out cars more efficiently instead of first come first serve.

Disclaimer: this is purely speculation/ my opinion.
Because customer experience is very important. Pissing off the customer is a very bad thing to do. I am at the point where I will walk if I see a Mach E at a reasonable price.

Because customer experience is very important. Pissing off the customer is a very bad thing to do. I am at the point where I will walk if I see a Mach E at a reasonable price.
Agree that customer experience is important, generally speaking. But is it in this case? Is it really hurting Tesla if a handful of buyers walk away mad? I thought about this a lot when I was pissed as hell at Tesla last week after they took my money and cancelled my delivery. But at the end of the day the car is superior to other options right now. Until that changes and demand decreases Tesla can afford to piss off a handful of customers.

Agree that customer experience is important, generally speaking. But is it in this case? Is it really hurting Tesla if a handful of buyers walk away mad? I thought about this a lot when I was pissed as hell at Tesla last week after they took my money and cancelled my delivery. But at the end of the day the car is superior to other options right now. Until that changes and demand decreases Tesla can afford to piss off a handful of customers.
A handful? I think it may be a bit more than a “handful”.

Just stumbled across this thread and though I'd share my experience for another data point: OD 9/12, ordered at the U Village store, MSM MYP, White interior, hitch. As of this morning, EDD pushed out 1/6-1/31. I was in my EDD three separate times through the back end of December. No holds. Always cash purchase. No rhyme or reason to any of it. Fun stuff.

Just stumbled across this thread and though I'd share my experience for another data point: OD 9/12, ordered at the U Village store, MSM MYP, White interior, hitch. As of this morning, EDD pushed out 1/6-1/31. I was in my EDD three separate times through the back end of December. No holds. Always cash purchase. No rhyme or reason to any of it. Fun stuff.
Be glad you're not a Ford Lightning pre-order customer. 200k backlog, said they'll produce 15,000 in 2022, and many dealers are reportedly already asking for more money than MSRP including a large deposit to "secure your place at the front of the line". Heaven forbid they actually allocate based on first in / first out for pre-orders booked through the dealer. The naked cash grab is disgusting.

The car business is scummy and sleazy and has been for decades. I'll take Tesla's uneven order allocation system that seems to be some weird combo of geography, color, options, and phase of the moon, over the Ford s-show any day of the week.

Be glad you're not a Ford Lightning pre-order customer. 200k backlog, said they'll produce 15,000 in 2022, and many dealers are reportedly already asking for more money than MSRP including a large deposit to "secure your place at the front of the line". Heaven forbid they actually allocate based on first in / first out for pre-orders booked through the dealer. The naked cash grab is disgusting.

The car business is scummy and sleazy and has been for decades. I'll take Tesla's uneven order allocation system that seems to be some weird combo of geography, color, options, and phase of the moon, over the Ford s-show any day of the week.
“Stealerships” are called that for good reason!

• Funny
Reactions: Corndart and gvme
Not that it'll be helpful but prior to ordering, I pored over these forums and Reddit and had a fairly decent comprehension that the "Tesla experience" is pretty uneven at best. EDD's are going to bounce around, until you've got a VIN assigned, and even then there seems to be some RNG god you've either appeased or angered.

You're at month 2, many people have been waiting a significantly longer time, and will wait far longer (MYLR in particular) to get their car. Rather than getting worked up over something nobody here can control (but commiserate and grip about with you I suppose), just take a deep breath and either accept that it's wonky, or cancel the order and move on.
I get all that and wish I was that aware prior to ordering, I would have gone a different route. The difference in my opinion is that I specifically ordered the higher price car to get it sooner, was told specifically by the SA that I would be getting the car in December and the EDD is being pushed by months with no communication and no responses to inquiries. Not like they are responding and they just don't know, they do not respond, at all. My former SA is apparently running the service department in Renton now (no doubt due to the idiots there taking customers cars for joy rides and getting themselves fired) and no one in Renton will respond to E-mails. When I call I get the 1-800 call center folks who tell me I have to talk to my local sales advisor to get any answers and then route me back to Renton and when they don't pick up again I go right back to the 1-800 call center folks. Round and round the merry go round for more than an hour today with that process.
I agree that Tesla makes the best electric vehicle out there by far right now but they are not going to have a huge advantage there for long, other manufacturers have made investments to catch up and eventually Tesla is going to held to the same standards that other premium manufacturers are held to. When that happens they will have a core group of fans that are tired of dealing with their *sugar* and don't come back and every one else is going to be steered away by the service and satisfaction nightmares that I am learning about the hard way now. I hope I am wrong but unless Tesla starts giving a *sugar* about customer satisfaction they are steering the company toward disaster.

I just filled out my satisfaction survey and it was cathartic, even though I know it will just go into their email junk folder
There are a lot of studies that show behaviorally, terribly upset people tend to post more than highly satisfied ones, with the silent majority in the middle that are neither terribly upset nor exuberant about their purchase / hotel stay / meal / whatever and don't post really much of anything. Something about "benefits received" in exchange for posting, such as the catharsis you mentioned.

Reactions: Obiwanjr
I get all that and wish I was that aware prior to ordering, I would have gone a different route. The difference in my opinion is that I specifically ordered the higher price car to get it sooner, was told specifically by the SA that I would be getting the car in December and the EDD is being pushed by months with no communication and no responses to inquiries. Not like they are responding and they just don't know, they do not respond, at all. My former SA is apparently running the service department in Renton now (no doubt due to the idiots there taking customers cars for joy rides and getting themselves fired) and no one in Renton will respond to E-mails. When I call I get the 1-800 call center folks who tell me I have to talk to my local sales advisor to get any answers and then route me back to Renton and when they don't pick up again I go right back to the 1-800 call center folks. Round and round the merry go round for more than an hour today with that process.
I agree that Tesla makes the best electric vehicle out there by far right now but they are not going to have a huge advantage there for long, other manufacturers have made investments to catch up and eventually Tesla is going to held to the same standards that other premium manufacturers are held to. When that happens they will have a core group of fans that are tired of dealing with their *sugar* and don't come back and every one else is going to be steered away by the service and satisfaction nightmares that I am learning about the hard way now. I hope I am wrong but unless Tesla starts giving a *sugar* about customer satisfaction they are steering the company toward disaster.

These "other manufacturers" are the same knuckleheads that have been screwing over customers with poor sales, service and quality issues for decades, so anticipating they are going to somehow magically transform both their business practices AND produce a competitive product at scale, and pack Tesla's lunch is a fairly myopic and unlikely outcome IMO.

Edit - that's not to say I believe "big auto" is dead, far from it, but their ability to outmaneuver Tesla in the full battery EV market, for the segments Tesla are going after, is going to be handicapped by a lot of factors including the "inventors dilemma" , wanting to protect billions in existing investment/infra, and more. If anything, Tesla is well positioned to start moving "down market" with lower priced models at some point.

Last edited:
Yeah meanwhile the rest of the automakers are catching up. Tesla may have a hard time with real competition with sour customers.
They've been saying that for the last half decade. Automakers will eventually catch up sure, but it's more than just the car itself, Tesla's supercharging network is vastly superior than other manufacturers. I don't believe any other automaker has a network. Elon hints that they'll open it to other autos eventually, but honestly they should keep it exclusive to entice buyers to Tesla. Their priority will continue to produce as many cars as possible as the demand far outweighs, supply. Until they are met, they're not going to prioritize customer service or quality, it's just greasing the machine at the moment...

They've been saying that for the last half decade. Automakers will eventually catch up sure, but it's more than just the car itself, Tesla's supercharging network is vastly superior than other manufacturers. I don't believe any other automaker has a network. Elon hints that they'll open it to other autos eventually, but honestly they should keep it exclusive to entice buyers to Tesla. Their priority will continue to produce as many cars as possible as the demand far outweighs, supply. Until they are met, they're not going to prioritize customer service or quality, it's just greasing the machine at the moment...
I agree fully with this. The supercharger network is Tesla's coup de grace against the legacy automakers. Making it available to all is a mistake IMHO. Also the reason a lot of people buy Tesla instead of Porsche/AUDI, etc

These "other manufacturers" are the same knuckleheads that have been screwing over customers with poor sales, service and quality issues for decades, so anticipating they are going to somehow magically transform both their business practices AND produce a competitive product at scale, and pack Tesla's lunch is a fairly myopic and unlikely outcome IMO.

Edit - that's not to say I believe "big auto" is dead, far from it, but their ability to outmaneuver Tesla in the full battery EV market, for the segments Tesla are going after, is going to be handicapped by a lot of factors including the "inventors dilemma" , wanting to protect billions in existing investment/infra, and more. If anything, Tesla is well positioned to start moving "down market" with lower priced models at some point.
I don't think it is THAT unlikely. They can scale faster than Tesla can and have the infrastructure that Tesla had to build from scratch. 5-10 years from now I think the gap is a lot smaller, and when that happens customer facing issues like these become an issue for Tesla, especially when 1 million deliveries become 5 million and they have more models, complicating supply chain even further.