Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Was your window sticker correct?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they took the Monroney off the car before delivery (which is quite illegal), they've removed the evidence.

Mine was in the trunk. I didn’t see it until I got home. What exactly is considered removed from the vehicle?

I did not realize the delivery center could print them. I had figured they came from the factory with the sticker. Mine was delivery at the end of August before the last minute blitz so definitely not just and end of quarter issue.

On a side note how are the options linked in Tesla’s system? I know I have EAP and FSD but say I were to sell the car. What is stopping Tesla from turning of the feature and making the new owner purchase it?

My Friday "midnight special" match an inventory car at Fremont Delivery Center (because they forget to assign VIN and "Tesla Direct" stood me up on Friday PM home delivery) window sticker is missing EAP and has the wrong pricing for Pearl White paint and AWD upgrade.

I'm going to ask them to reprint it in case I sell it down the road privately.

It was also on the rear deck.

Also, I just noticed that my 9/28 light night Tesla financing down payment was not taken out of my bank until today via ACH:

upload_2018-10-3_0-5-8.png

I wonder if that means they cannot "book" this part of the cash flow in Q3?

I think it depends whether or not they are a "cash" taxpayer (no) or an "accrual" taxpayer (yes). Or, until my $$$ hits their bank, they shouldn't be able to count it, because of the chance of insufficient funds...?

I'm not a CPA so I don't know for sure. For people that paid all-cash it might make a large difference on Q3, would it not?

Mine was in the trunk. I didn’t see it until I got home. What exactly is considered removed from the vehicle?

I did not realize the delivery center could print them. I had figured they came from the factory with the sticker.

To be honest, the rule reads as if it cannot be removed from the window by anyone but the end consumer, but yours is an interesting question. I don't know the answer.

If the delivery center can print window stickers, then that's a capability I've never heard of before. Why would that even be possible? It shouldn't be necessary. In any case, it seems the window sticker should be on the window upon delivery. There's no advantage if it isn't, so it's quite strange.

I've never had a delivery in the past 10 new cars I purchased or leased @mattjs33 where the sticker is on the window. The dealership always removes it and puts it with my paperwork or laminates it for me.

On the Model X, it was on the front windshield and was removed so that it could be driven. The location always varies depending on the make and model.

I've never had a delivery in the past 10 new cars I purchased or leased @mattjs33 where the sticker is on the window. The dealership always removes it and puts it with my paperwork or laminates it for me.

On the Model X, it was on the front windshield and was removed so that it could be driven. The location always varies depending on the make and model.

I don't know what to tell you. All I can do is quote from the US Code, Title 15 Chapter 28, which concerns the Monroney label:

(c) Removal, alteration, or illegibility of required label

Any person who willfully removes, alters, or renders illegible any label affixed to a new automobile pursuant to section 1232 of this title, or any endorsement thereon, prior to the time that such automobile is delivered to the actual custody and possession of the ultimate purchaser of such new automobile, except where the manufacturer relabels the automobile in the event the same is rerouted, repurchased, or reacquired by the manufacturer of such automobile, shall be fined not more than $1,000, or imprisoned not more than one year, or both. Such removal, alteration, or rendering illegible with respect to each automobile shall constitute a separate offense.

[USC04] 15 USC Ch. 28: DISCLOSURE OF AUTOMOBILE INFORMATION

By the letter of the law, removal of the sticker prior to final sale, is illegal. Whether it "happens all the time" is not really the point here.

It's quite strange for people to reply they didn't even get it.

The law also states:

Every manufacturer of new automobiles distributed in commerce shall, prior to the delivery of any new automobile to any dealer, or at or prior to the introduction date of new models delivered to a dealer prior to such introduction date, securely affix to the windshield, or side window of such automobile a label on which such manufacturer shall endorse clearly, distinctly and legibly true and correct entries disclosing the following information concerning such automobile—

(a) the make, model, and serial or identification number or numbers;

(b) the final assembly point;

(c) the name, and the location of the place of business, of the dealer to whom it is to be delivered;

(d) the name of the city or town at which it is to be delivered to such dealer;

(e) the method of transportation used in making delivery of such automobile, if driven or towed from final assembly point to place of delivery;

(f) the following information:

(1) the retail price of such automobile suggested by the manufacturer;

(2) the retail delivered price suggested by the manufacturer for each accessory or item of optional equipment, physically attached to such automobile at the time of its delivery to such dealer, which is not included within the price of such automobile as stated pursuant to paragraph (1);

(Emphasis mine)

Anyone who paid for EAP or whatever alphabet soup was supposed to be on their car, whose car's window sticker did not indicate the car was equipped with it, would have a legal case in my opinion.

Not saying that will happen, but it's a violation in terms of the letter of the law. It just strikes me as weird this kind of thing is happening at all, would you agree?

My sticker was correct to what I ordered. But to clarify, the VIN matched what was assigned to me, but the car did not match my build. Ordered a P3D- and was given an AWD car. The software matched the sticker though... Let's just say I'm real happy I checked before driving away. It was a 54,XXX VIN. That would have been a $9k loss right off the bat.

Reactions: Ormond
(2) the retail delivered price suggested by the manufacturer for each accessory or item of optional equipment, physically attached to such automobile at the time of its delivery to such dealer, which is not included within the price of such automobile as stated pursuant to paragraph (1);

(Emphasis mine)

Anyone who paid for EAP or whatever alphabet soup was supposed to be on their car, whose car's window sticker did not indicate the car was equipped with it, would have a legal case in my opinion.

Not saying that will happen, but it's a violation in terms of the letter of the law. It just strikes me as weird this kind of thing is happening at all, would you agree?

One could argue that the EAP equipment is just part of the car and not an option. Similar to how tires are not separately listed on the sticker. EAP or FSD are then strictly a software option if you apply this theory and are not physically attached to the vehicle at the time of delivery.

If the law is that cut and dry, I do find it extremely odd that Tesla has been able to get away with it without controversy. I can see the financial news headlines: "Tesla Illegally Selling Thousands of Cars".

One could argue that the EAP equipment is just part of the car and not an option. Similar to how tires are not separately listed on the sticker. EAP or FSD are then strictly a software option if you apply this theory and are not physically attached to the vehicle at the time of delivery.

If you pay extra for EAP or FSD, it's an extra-cost option, and by law must be listed and itemized by price. If the software is in the car's computer chips, then it is physically attached to it. The law doesn't provide for any areas of grey since that's how laws work.

If the law is that cut and dry, I do find it extremely odd that Tesla has been able to get away with it without controversy. I can see the financial news headlines: "Tesla Illegally Selling Thousands of Cars".

Well it's the first time I've ever heard of it myself, but I do find it quite a bit odd. Their sales have never reached these kind of volumes however.

From my perspective, if something I paid extra for wasn't designated on my window sticker, I might be asking similar questions as folks here have.

It's illegal for anyone other than the end consumer to remove the Monroney label.

There are lots of laws regarding the label content.

There is no way in hell I would accept a car whose equipment list on the label did not match what I ordered.

I would say you have a legal case if it didn't.
While your statements are all valid, I would start by just asking for a corrected copy for your files for resale later. You certainly want the color correct on your title. If not, five years from now you may have a hard time convincing a prospective buyer/dealer the car was not repainted seriously impacting the value.

I did not realize the delivery center could print them. I had figured they came from the factory with the sticker. Mine was delivery at the end of August before the last minute blitz so definitely not just and end of quarter issue.

On a side note how are the options linked in Tesla’s system? I know I have EAP and FSD but say I were to sell the car. What is stopping Tesla from turning of the feature and making the new owner purchase it?
The law states the stickers are to be affixed to the cars in plain sight at the factory. Tesla has not been doing that. Since they are not "affixed" to the window all they really need to do is give you an accurate one for your records at delivery to confirm the price you were quoted matches what you were charged. The law was written to prevent dealers from changing prices for popular models and claiming that was the true MSRP.

You can always provide your next buyer with a copy of the MVPA to confirm what options were originally purchased but Tesla should reprint your Monroney for you as well.

I didn't receive any paperwork when I picked up my car. I have checked the interior of the car and haven't located the Monroney sticker. I also didn't receive any explanation on the operation of the car display screen. I picked up my car at the Tampa, FL service/delivery center. I'm headed over tomorrow to have other items addressed, hopefully they will be able to provide me a copy of the sticker.