Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warning for Emmc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At least you won't be arguing with the SvC about how the part is "operating as designed"

Now I wonder how long for you to get the part? I am six weeks and waiting...

So my original tesla SC is in Florida and they schedule me for dec 24. I am on road trip and i told them i have to drive car back to florida. They asked me if there are another SC close to me and i told himMO. and guy from orlando SC look at MO inventory and he schedule me for MO SC for 16 Nov and they are going to replace my EMMC.

This is what they ordered before

Attachments

• F57DBEE8-9EF5-47E0-9146-49DC4C71984D.jpeg
    F57DBEE8-9EF5-47E0-9146-49DC4C71984D.jpeg
    163.5 KB · Views: 85
  • Informative
Reactions: Droschke
Never thought owning this car would be a full time career on all these glitches :(
Yea, Tesla rarely if ever communicates on most things, just change things under the hood as they please and without informing customers. Once you notice something odd (like say less power, less mileage, you air suspension no longer works) you cannot be sure whether it's an intentional change or something broke. Even if something is broken, whether or not it can be fixed is also not clear, even if you call the service center, as they are kept in the dark too (or lately perhaps told to keep customers in the dark, like with the yellowing screens). The only way have any clue is to keep up on forums.

Anyone have some insight on how this chip test works?: does it do a cycle count on the eMMC and post the message? Then how will it know that there is a 64GB instead, and would the cycle count would be that much higher?

My understanding of how it works:

eMMCs, not just Tesla but eMMC in general, have extra unused capacity that you don't see when you ask the eMMC for free space. The eMMC also has a little controller that manages it. The controller is part of the eMMC. When a memory block goes bad the controller detects the bad block and marks it as unusable. It then uses a block that is was of the extra capacity instead. As time goes on it will use more and more of the extra capacity to make up for failing blocks.

When Tesla does a health check of the eMMC they ask the eMMC controller how much of the extra capacity is still available. If it's almost gone it means uncorrectable errors will soon happen.

The 64GB chip should last just about forever since it will have much more extra capacity (depending on how much of it they format).

My understanding of how it works:

eMMCs, not just Tesla but eMMC in general, have extra unused capacity that you don't see when you ask the eMMC for free space. The eMMC also has a little controller that manages it. The controller is part of the eMMC. When a memory block goes bad the controller detects the bad block and marks it as unusable. It then uses a block that is was of the extra capacity instead. As time goes on it will use more and more of the extra capacity to make up for failing blocks.

When Tesla does a health check of the eMMC they ask the eMMC controller how much of the extra capacity is still available. If it's almost gone it means uncorrectable errors will soon happen.

In my case, they just did a cycle count, and because they could not get any of the occasional errors to repeat, said the chip was "fine"

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
Those with the manual lift gate will have the ability to upgrade..."coming soon"

That could be never.
Actually i just find out that Tesla came up with harnes and if you dont have power liftgate you can still upgrade to mcu2. So if you SC tells you that you cant tell them Tesla has new harness to complete upgrade.

I received this information from Tesla SC chesterfield MO

My 2014 P85 with 110K miles is in for service for motor replacement and I asked them to do the MCU2 upgrade. It is pre-autopilot. I won't be eligible since I am over 100K miles but I'm hearing that it is a $500 eMMC replacement/storage upgrade from 8GB to 64GB. But that would just solve the non-responsiveness. I'm excited for MCU2 upgrade to get basically a new car feel and to hold me off for another few years but I'm wondering whether that $2000 difference is worth it. I plan to upgrade to another Tesla around September 2022 when my battery and motor warranty expires.

Reactions: aerodyne

The 64GB chip should last just about forever since it will have much more extra capacity (depending on how much of it they format).

I guess Tesla has added this "eMMC quality check" to recent firmwares. If too much "bad blocks" they pop up this warning.

Also there are reports that Tesla now knows remotely if you have eMMC replaced by third party. This is probably a side effect; they are checking the chip type if it's the 8GB Hynix (that is likely to fail) or the new Micron 64GB chip. If it's something else it must be third party.

Likely a 64GB Micron installed by 3rd party would not be detected.

The original 8GB Hynix eMMC doesn't really have any spare room. All 8GB are formatted, and it's known that sometimes the file systems fills up with temporary files and Tesla has to clear it remotely..

So my options are becoming limited...

Wait for my emmc chip to come in, knowing that could be a long time since any spare chips will probably get sent to those with dead ones, despite I am months in the queue.

Update my car, in order to get the notification, hoping it does not die in loading the last 4 updates I skipped.

Go third party, and take the chance the Mothership finds out in the future, and does something to punish me.

Order a MCU2 for $$$$, loose my good sounding stereo balance, backup camera performance, plus who knows what other glitches.

Wait for confirmation on the Tesla site or my account they in fact have approved MCU2 for my unpowered lift gate AP1 car.

Do nothing. If it dies tell the Wife I need a Taicaan...