Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall chgr on 100A but only 48A chg

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tesla electrician installed a wall charger on a dedicated 100Amp 240V circuit in my home. When plugged in, my new 2019 MS long range (Apr 2019 build) showed 240V max 48Amp charging and would not allow increase above the 48 Amps. Electrician double checked the settings in the wall charger to be set to 80Amps. Tesla confirmed that this car does have dual chargers.Could it be a problem with the car seeing only one of the chgrs? Anyone see this before?

Looks like she is wrong and you are right:

Model Onboard Charger Recommended circuit breaker for max charge rate with Wall Connector
Model S Long Range
Model S Performance
Model X Long Range
Model X Performance
Model 3 Long Range 48 amp / 11.5 kW 60 amp circuit breaker
Model 3 Mid Range
Model 3 Standard Range 32 amp / 7.7 kW 40 amp circuit breaker

And it’s not ‘dual chargers’. That’s years ago (40 and 80 amps). It was 48 and 72 in late 2017 for the S and X. My 2017 Model X had it because it has the 100 pack and it was being phased out even then. (9/2017).

The main reason to have a large circuit on your HPWC/TWC nowadays is when you want to have two of them share the same circuit (like I do, see signature).

Actually the new 2019's do have "dual chargers", but they are dual 24A chargers. The previous versions had three 24A chargers for 72A charging. Some Model 3's have dual 16A chargers, for 32A charging.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
Actually the new 2019's do have "dual chargers", but they are dual 24A chargers. The previous versions had three 24A chargers for 72A charging. Some Model 3's have dual 16A chargers, for 32A charging.
Now that they have moved to the new era of 32 or 48 amps, they are standardized on the 16A modules inside. So the 48 amp chargers have three of those, not two 24A modules.

But the overall unit is referred to as a "charger", so the term "dual chargers" just shouldn't be used any more, unless people are talking about the older 2012 to early 2016 cars.

Reactions: rhumbliner and jdw
First, your electrician didn't install a charger, they installed basically an extension cord.

Next, why the need for more and more power? Are you needing to charge that fast? Even if you are emptying the battery every day, it should be charged overnight.

It's useful to have the higher capacity when you need to hit the road for a long trip, after after a day of work, when you might have run down your battery by half. Or when travelling to.through areas with L2s but no L3s.

To me, 48 amp is too small for this car.

Reactions: boonedocks
The way this all happened: I own a 2014 MS. Thru referrals, I acquired 2 free wall chargers (aka ext. cords.) Since I planed to acquire a 2nd Tesla soon, I had the electrician install them both, with the intent to share them on one 100A circuit.

After the job was completed, the electrician informed me that he wired them each for 100A separately as I had a 400A service to the home.

So now I am ready for anything, I guess.