Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall charger plus NEMA 14-50 on one set of wires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an electrician coming tomorrow to plan for installing a wall charger. I seem to remember some forum posts where a wall charger was installed as well as a NEMA 14-50 outlet right next to it with both items running on one set of wires.

Can anyone post a picture of an installation like that as well as any thoughts on the benefits or problems with the combo. I don't need technical details because the electrician will know what to do (and I don't :)). Just your thoughts on whether it's a good idea.

If your electrician is licensed, he or she won't do this. Like jmaddr said, it's against code; high-power circuits need to be individually protected. To have two 32A devices plugged in to a single circuit, you'd have to have an 80A breaker, which could allow a single device to fry without tripping the breaker. And the wiring would have to be 4 gauge, which is insanely thick, expensive, and extremely hard to bend and install.

If you want two plugs (or hardwired devices), install two circuits.

It is against code. Each outlet needs a dedicated circuit with a dedicated breaker. The only thing you can get close would be to run a single 14-50 run and get one of the elusive HPWC with a 14-50 and plug/unplug when needed. Your electrician should confirm such.

If your electrician is licensed, he or she won't do this. Like jmaddr said, it's against code; high-power circuits need to be individually protected. To have two 32A devices plugged in to a single circuit, you'd have to have an 80A breaker, which could allow a single device to fry without tripping the breaker. And the wiring would have to be 4 gauge, which is insanely thick, expensive, and extremely hard to bend and install.

If you want two plugs (or hardwired devices), install two circuits.
Thanks to both of you. Now that I understand there is no way I will do it.