Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waking a 3 up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All

Am I right in thinking to wake the car up from a mobile app, you need to have a phone signal on the phone, and at the car, does it have to be 4g etc?

I assume it will not wake up if phone and car are connected to wi-fi even on the same network?

3 ways:

1. Via internet, either LTE or Wifi if connected. Poking the app will do this, or via 3rd party such as TeslaFi. Just to add to this, if you parked in a concrete bunker - like the car park for my office poking the app wont wake the car up because the car has no internet access.

2. Via bluetooth if you are standing right next to it. If bluetooth is not waking it up, turn bluetooth on/off to reset the antenna on your phone.

3. Via RFID key touching the receiver on the pillar.

The car will actually wake up if you don't have a key and you (or someone) pulls the handle.

Last edited:
Hi All

Am I right in thinking to wake the car up from a mobile app, you need to have a phone signal on the phone, and at the car, does it have to be 4g etc?

I assume it will not wake up if phone and car are connected to wi-fi even on the same network?

You'll need a cellular signal. Doesn't have to be 4G.
AFAIK, the car doesn't tend to stay connected to Wi-Fi, it connects and then disconnects.

I have had a handful of failed connections, along with dozens of successful ones. No idea why, car and phone in same place each time.

Yes, my experience is much the same. I think there is some interaction with the central Tesla servers to make the connection as well so there is an additional factor to take account of. Any brief flakiness in the connection from phone, car or Telsa server may affect the wake-up. I also factor in my low budget phone that always takes longer to wake the car than does my wife's phone.