Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wait, so are rear-facing seats retrofittable or not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I heard that the third row seats required bumper reinforcement I realized you were giving up the rear crumple zone for an extra two child seats. No thanks. Those crumple zones serve a purpose for the other five passengers when you get rear-ended.

And I would hate to think how much disassembly is required to put the missing reinforcements back into the frame.

So I got a loaner with the jump seat to try it out this week end and it was a great success. No complains from the kids, no fight, we went to diner with 6 of us, everything worked great. I liked the little space taken by the seats when folded, you really lose the pit only. I liked the button to open / close from inside. So I think I will do it.

For another data point, Christian, the regional CPO advisor in Dedham MA, said that RFS can be retrofitted to many cars (as has been mentioned before, minus a few specific serial numbers). He said it's a $3500 operation, requires approval from Tesla officials, and involves welding reinforcement into the chassis. This seems mostly consistent to the discussion in this thread but directly contradicts the words of the service manager who works at the same service center. To save potential pain, I just ordered a CPO that included RFS.

For another data point, Christian, the regional CPO advisor in Dedham MA, said that RFS can be retrofitted to many cars (as has been mentioned before, minus a few specific serial numbers). He said it's a $3500 operation, requires approval from Tesla officials, and involves welding reinforcement into the chassis. This seems mostly consistent to the discussion in this thread but directly contradicts the words of the service manager who works at the same service center. To save potential pain, I just ordered a CPO that included RFS.
So you are saying it costs $500 less to add it after the fact. Because it is $4000 to add it to the build of a NEW car. Not sure that makes sense. But if true...would be very surprising.

Anyone have an idea what makes up 1 gen or 2nd gen?
upload_2017-10-10_22-4-11.png

When retrofitting - what about the part on the backside of backseat - where the childseats lock onto? Mine does not have those, so do I need new rearseats as well?
The striker in the back of the seats are probably there. Run your fingers across the top of the back of the 2nd row seats (middle)and u will feel a two depressions about an 1.5ins apart. That's where th ed upper and lower bezel goes for the jumper seats.

Reactions: JPUConn