Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Volkswagen E-Golf

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried to make clear in my post that I used the e-Manager to set a scheduled charge to 100% but it doesn’t work.

GOM? Acronym definition, please. Never seen that before.
If you don't use Scheduled Charge it should charge to 100%. When AC charging, press the button with the plug icon next to the charge port to charge immediately.

With this car, the Guess-O-Meter (GOM) is just using some black box algorithm to guess at how far you might be able to drive based on the battery level and your driving history. If you have the analog instrument panel, the small inset gauge indicates the actual SOC marked off in 16ths like the picture below. This shows 11/16ths or 69% SOC.

Battery Gauge 2015-10-04_resize.jpg

I don’t think VW has even succeeded to reach that low bar.

I have a local SIM in my phone. In my post I explained that I was able to pair my phone with the car. Then I explained the additional step VW requires, which didn’t work because I could not select New Zealand as a country in the VW website list you have to choose from before entering the VIN and then supposedly that would enable in-car nav.
The software in that car is completely different than what is in the USA cars, so if you can't get to CarPlay or Android Auto then I have no idea how it's supposed to work. The base SE model in USA has no on-board NAV at all and you have to use CarPlay or Android Auto to get navigation on the screen. The higher SEL trim has both full built-in Sat-NAV and CarPlay and Android Auto supported navigation. The built-in navigation in the USA software has to have the map data loaded from a SD card when the car is new. After that the SD can be set aside. It really sounds like the car was not completely set up or the navigation simply isn't supported in NZ.

If you don't use Scheduled Charge it should charge to 100%.
The way I read the manual, the only way to charge to 100% is to use scheduled charging. Otherwise it will only to charge to 80%.

It really sounds like the car was not completely set up or the navigation simply isn't supported in NZ.
I think the latter is the case. And there is no point in asking the Europcar rental people here anything about the car, they know nothing about it.

With this car, the Guess-O-Meter (GOM) is just using some black box algorithm to guess at how far you might be able to drive based on the battery level and your driving history.
I like your acronym. :p

But the displayed range varies wildly even if the car barely moves. I have it set in scheduled charging to charge to 100% for an 8AM departure time every day of the week. Yesterday it was plugged in all night and in the morning it showed 212km. This morning I checked the car after leaving it plugged in all night and it was at 242km. I then started the car and moved it 10 ft in the driveway and stopped. The displayed range changed to 206km.

Really, it’s nutty, and essentially worthless. Not a sterling example of German engineering, which generally is outstanding.

Really, it’s nutty, and essentially worthless. Not a sterling example of German engineering, which generally is outstanding.
This is VW's first production EV. At least they provided an actual battery gauge that you can judge to better than 3%. Many EV's just have digital bars that you cannot interpolate. The GOM changes when you change the HVAC settings too. Most people quickly learn to ignore the crazy GOM. Everybody in the industry uses some sort of GOM except Tesla. Of course, some Tesla owners pull out the "...but I drove 100 miles and lost 150 miles of range.." The only difference is that the DTE (dist to empty) is not fluctuating wildly, it's just ticking off somewhat faster or slower than real miles.