Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Virginia Hearing, 4/25 -- Represent!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has high customer satisfaction ratings, and customers do not have to worry about haggling over the price, said Jonathan Fair, a Prince William County resident who bought a Tesla car last year.

“I am sure they (Tesla) have room for improvement, but I am not sure how dealerships can put themselves above the level that Tesla has set,” Fair said.

Wow, that's a slight characterization of what I stated. To clarify, I stated that consumer reports has ranked Tesla #1 in customer satisfaction, so while “I am sure they (Tesla) have room for improvement, but I am not sure how dealerships can put themselves above the level that Tesla has set”

That beginning bit doesn't quite paint the picture correctly... but either way, gotta love how that is now all three major points that I brought up yesterday being called out directly attributed by me in some way shape or form. I guess there is no more hiding behind the internet for me. So, what's a guy got to do to change his username? :p

At the hearing I thought I heard that a dealer is not allowed to sell cars at a shopping mall. Is this correct? They can display them, like the Maseratis at Tysons II mall, but there's no salesmen present.
Some states have laws or regs that mandate a minimum square footage for car dealerships, or space for a certain number of cars displayed, or require that service be done on the premises. All ways of inhibiting competition by new entrants who would prefer not to have acres of land. I'm sure there was a "consumer protection" rationale claimed for all of these somehow, but in reality they're just another example of rent seeking by the incumbent businesses.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
No doubt like others on this thread, I've been in communication with DMV regarding the next hearing date. As of this morning May 19 still no date.

DMV -- "The parties have been unable to agree on the next hearing date. As soon as a date becomes available, we will post it on DMV’s website."

Reactions: 182RG
Richmond Showroom Approved by local county Government

News article Richmond-Times Dispatch

Potential site of Tesla dealership in Henrico approved by supervisors

If Tesla Motors Inc. prevails in being allowed to open a company-owned dealership in the Richmond region, its location has been approved. The Henrico County Board of Supervisors unanimously approved Tuesday to amend the conditions of a 2015 rezoning case to allow for the sales and service of the company's all-electric vehicles. The proposed Tesla dealership at a former Bassett furniture store along Stillman Parkway north of West Broad Street — would feature a showroom, outdoor charging stations and an indoor maintenance facility. The charging stations would be available 24 hours a day, according to county documents.

county documents. Although the location has been approved, progress on the dealership hinges on a decision from the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles. The Virginia Automobile Dealers Association has opposed the California-based company's request to seek an exception to state law that bars vehicle manufacturers in most circumstances from owning dealerships. The dealers association argues that Tesla should have to sell vehicles through independent dealers like other manufacturers. An administrative hearing on the request concluded July 1. A decision could take up to five months. Tesla, founded by tech magnate Elon Musk, sells its vehicles directly to customers at fixed prices. The company argues independent dealers could not sell its cars profitably under its one-price business plan. Its sole Virginia dealership, near Tysons Corner, opened in February 2015 after a legal settlement with the DMV and the dealers association. According to the dealers association, the opening of a second Tesla dealership would violate the terms of the settlement. In the September 2013 settlement, Tesla was allowed to open one company-owned store until August 2017, when it had to be turned over to an independent dealer. If Tesla does not prevail in its current case with the DMV and the dealers association, there are several other allowed uses for the property under its zoning, said R. Joseph Emerson Jr., Henrico County's director of planning. Tesla representatives were not available for comment Wednesday.

• Informative
Reactions: EVTECH and bhzmark
Richmond Showroom Approved by local county Government

News article Richmond-Times Dispatch
According to the dealers association, the opening of a second Tesla dealership would violate the terms of the settlement. . . . In the September 2013 settlement, Tesla was allowed to open one company-owned store until August 2017, when it had to be turned over to an independent dealer.

VADA is lying again. But of course any trade association representing liars is itself constitutionally unable to tell the truth. See the actual agreement: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/attachments/tesla-settlement-agreement-and-attachments-pdf.114621/

upload_2016-7-14_7-2-54.png

upload_2016-7-14_7-1-38.png

• Informative
Reactions: OregonHill
VADA is lying again. But of course any trade association representing liars is itself constitutionally unable to tell the truth. See the actual agreement: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/attachments/tesla-settlement-agreement-and-attachments-pdf.114621/

You can bet that "a person or entity with standing to bring an action" will be lined up to bring legal action based on the above. That is a given, based on the energy around blocking Richmond. In fact, there will be numerous ones that will file an action before August 2017. Koons, Pohanka, Sheehy, Rosenthal, Stohlman are just a few of the big dealer franchises in Northern Virginia. They'll bring action just to squash the single Tesla store in the state.

My question was if VADA is successful, will Tesla close shop vs. turning it over to a franchise?

My question was if VADA is successful, will Tesla close shop vs. turning it over to a franchise?

No actual inside scoop on my part - but yes, close shop. Tesla won't have a single franchise unless or until the company is ready to go all-in, and franchise throughout the country. More precisely - close the sales arm and keep the service open if possible.

I agree with your assessment that there will be 1 or more filings to force the issue.

Let's just fantasize here and imagine the only thing blocked by VADA is selling the cars...

so the RVA showroom facility could just --sell PowerWalls,
--sell Tesla Solar panels and
--sell DC/ac convertors,
--service & install the Tesla Energy products,
--offer Superchargers for vehicles,
--service vehicles and
--oh by the way offer test drives of the display vehicles...
but to **buy** the car, well that's blocked by VADA so please use this computer and order your vehicle online.
Thank you,
E.M.

I listened to the entire 3hr Solar City acquisition conference call...the fantasy could happen

Reactions: bhzmark