Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Battlegrounds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bonnie

I play a nice person on twitter.
Feb 6, 2011
Columbia River Gorge

PLEASE DO NOT POST SPECIFIC US STATE/COUNTRY ISSUES IN THIS THREAD.

Use it as a roadmap to the various states.​

I thought it might be easier if we captured all the various state activities/status in one area. A lot is happening and it’s not always obvious when buried in the various regional forums. I will keep this post updated with summary/current status in various states, followed by any appropriate threads. (Hopefully one of the mods will move all the threads into one subsection … :) )

(Note – I'll have the summaries and other information filled in over the next week. Please be patient with me. :) I went back to the start of 2016 in the Tesla Motors section of the forum. I still need to do the various regions. If you feel motivated, it would be a great help if you looked at your region and sent me one pm, with all the links. Then I can just cut and paste. And if not, I’ll get to it …)

When emailing/writing legislators, please be respectful. As an owner, you are representing both Tesla and the electric vehicle community.

--------------------------------------------------------------

GENERAL:

(FTC Request for Comment) Tesla Meeting with the Federal Trade Commission (Request for Comment)

(Koch Bros/Big Oil Feb 2016) Big Oil Fighting Tesla

(WSJ Discussion March 2016) Tesla Weighs New Challenge to State Direct-Sales Bans

(FTC blog, April 2014) Who decides how consumers should shop? | Federal Trade Commission

(FTC blog, May 2015) Direct-to-consumer auto sales: It’s not just about Tesla | Federal Trade Commission

(NADA April 2016) https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/major-us-car-dealer-says-i-have-no-problem-with-tesla-but.67162/#post-1462314

Forum members suggestions for alternative dealership models:

(US) ALASKA:

Summary/Current Status:

What you can do:

Related:​

(US) CONNECTICUT:

Summary/Current Status:
NEW: Tesla Sales in CT - Yes, you can help.

Page that keeps tabs on the CT Tesla Law SB-3: Connecticut General Assembly

It has passed the transportation committee with a vote of 29-4 on 3/15 Transportation Committee - Vote Tally Sheet

It also has finished going through the office of fiscal analysis with a positive impact for the state.
AN ACT CONCERNING THE LICENSING OF NEW AND USED CAR DEALERS.

The current status is "Favorable Report, Tabled for the Calendar, Senate"
The CT house voted on a similar bill last may favorably - If that vote carries through to this year, all that would be left is a vote by the full state senate.
More info in post here too: "Pro-Tesla bill brings promise of investment in Connecticut"
-----------------------
Update 4/19 (thanks SureValla and tinm):
Tesla bill advances in General Assembly
It appears the bill has now passed the finance committee in the house by a vote of 32-14 (Finance, Revenue and Bonding Committee - Vote Tally Sheet) . It also appears it needs to pass both the house and senate this year before May 4th despite a similar bill passing in the house last year.

(SureValla) It’s interesting that this article notes there will be a limit on the amount of Tesla stores that will be allowed to open (3). I’ve read other articles that state there is no limit. I have also read the bill and do not see a limit mentioned. I know last year’s bill did have a limit of 3 so maybe this is just bad reporting. (Note from Bonnie: I believe the 3 store limit is correct. However, that was before the tsunami of Model 3 reservations and (imo) that limit should now be removed.
What you can do:
Please contact your legislator & send emails. You can do it through their websites - find your legislator here: Connecticut General Assembly
Related:

(US) INDIANA:

Summary/Current Status:

What you can do:

Related:

(US) MICHIGAN:

(US) NEW MEXICO:

Summary/Current Status:

What you can do:

(US) TEXAS:

Summary/Current Status:
The most recent bill was left to die in committee: See End of the Road for Tesla, Ride-for-Hire Bills
The Texas legislature meets every two years, so we are left to try again in 2017.
What you can do:
Contact your legislator and let them know your position. Texans can look up their elected officials here: Who Represents Me--Home. The sponsors for the 2015 bills were Kelly Hancock in the Senate and Eddie Rodriguez, among others, in the House.

(US) UTAH:

Summary/Current Status:

What you can do:

Related:

(US) VIRGINIA:

(Canada) BRITISH COLUMBIA:

Summary/Current Status:

What you can do:

Related threads:

Attachments

• Tesla - Settlement Agreement and Attachments.pdf
    964.8 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
I could present a multitude of arguments in favor of Tesla's direct sales and service model. However, I'll just post one that should be asked of all state legislators.

How many consumers have asked that the legislature force Tesla to sell and service through middlemen? If the answer is none, then please drop any attempts to interfere with Tesla's 21st century business model.

Link to a related Forbes article: Strangling Innovation: Tesla vs. 'Rent Seekers'

Reactions: DJ Frustration
I would hate to have the thread veer off this important topic, but I am posting this article just out on Bloomberg (18 April) because its points bear absolutely directly on some of the very most important issues that I think should be raised when discussing the role of auto dealerships in the 21st century. I would suggest those who are getting involved in this drive may consider bookmarking/storing it for your use.

It is an op-ed piece by industry analyst Edward Niedermeyer focused on the despicable actions amongst dealerships as a result of the Takata airbag recall; here is a trenchant snippet:

Dealers like the fact that recall repairs are paid for by the automaker; and automakers in turn offer those retailers incentives to buy new models as "courtesy transportation," boosting sales volume. The big hope is that getting people into the showroom can lead to new purchases, or at least to unrelated (and possibly unneeded) repair jobs.

"Aside from the bad publicity, which is never fun, we welcome recalls," one dealership employee said. It gives them a chance to meet car owners and look into their vehicles without cold calls. (The least ethical among them have even been caught selling used cars that were subject to recall but never repaired.)

There is quite a bit more in the article; link is here: Deadly Cars Shouldn't Be a Business Opportunity

• Informative
Reactions: BBryson
And one more item which I would suggest all should explore:

At the first of the Tesla showroom brunches yesterday, we heard from the Manager that Tesla - or, rather, each showroom - was interested in presenting to and helping out (in no specific fashion; i.e., tbd) any local charity or other non-profit in which any of the audience might have a link.

To me, this suggests Tesla is looking to establish the sort of presence in its local market in a similar fashion to that which we have heard, from NADA and others, how important auto dealers are to the surrounding community. To me this always has seemed not just a red herring, but an absolutely illogical argument: there is zero reason one commercial establishment is appropriate for doing good in a community but another one is not.

PLEASE DO NOT POST SPECIFIC US STATE/COUNTRY ISSUES IN THIS THREAD.

Use it as a roadmap to the various states.​

I thought it might be easier if we captured all the various state activities/status in one area. A lot is happening and it’s not always obvious when buried in the various regional forums. I will keep this post updated with summary/current status in various states, followed by any appropriate threads. (Hopefully one of the mods will move all the threads into one subsection … :) )

(Note – I'll have the summaries and other information filled in over the next week. Please be patient with me. :) I went back to the start of 2016 in the Tesla Motors section of the forum. I still need to do the various regions. If you feel motivated, it would be a great help if you looked at your region and sent me one pm, with all the links. Then I can just cut and paste. And if not, I’ll get to it …)

When emailing/writing legislators, please be respectful. As an owner, you are representing both Tesla and the electric vehicle community.

GENERAL:

(FTC Request for Comment) Tesla Meeting with the Federal Trade Commission (Request for Comment)

(Koch Bros/Big Oil Feb 2016) Big Oil Fighting Tesla

(WSJ Discussion March 2016) Tesla Weighs New Challenge to State Direct-Sales Bans

(FTC blog, April 2014) Who decides how consumers should shop? | Federal Trade Commission

(FTC blog, May 2015) Direct-to-consumer auto sales: It’s not just about Tesla | Federal Trade Commission

(NADA April 2016) https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/major-us-car-dealer-says-i-have-no-problem-with-tesla-but.67162/#post-1462314

Forum members suggestions for alternative dealership models:

(US) ALASKA:

Summary/Current Status:

What you can do:

(US) CONNECTICUT:

Summary/Current Status:
NEW: Tesla Sales in CT - Yes, you can help.

Page that keeps tabs on the CT Tesla Law SB-3: Connecticut General Assembly

It has passed the transportation committee with a vote of 29-4 on 3/15 Transportation Committee - Vote Tally Sheet

It also has finished going through the office of fiscal analysis with a positive impact for the state.
AN ACT CONCERNING THE LICENSING OF NEW AND USED CAR DEALERS.

The current status is "Favorable Report, Tabled for the Calendar, Senate"
The CT house voted on a similar bill last may favorably - If that vote carries through to this year, all that would be left is a vote by the full state senate.
More info in post here too: "Pro-Tesla bill brings promise of investment in Connecticut"
-----------------------
Update 4/19 (thanks SureValla and tinm):
Tesla bill advances in General Assembly
It appears the bill has now passed the finance committee in the house by a vote of 32-14 (Finance, Revenue and Bonding Committee - Vote Tally Sheet) . It also appears it needs to pass both the house and senate this year before May 4th despite a similar bill passing in the house last year.

(SureValla) It’s interesting that this article notes there will be a limit on the amount of Tesla stores that will be allowed to open (3). I’ve read other articles that state there is no limit. I have also read the bill and do not see a limit mentioned. I know last year’s bill did have a limit of 3 so maybe this is just bad reporting. (Note from Bonnie: I believe the 3 store limit is correct. However, that was before the tsunami of Model 3 reservations and (imo) that limit should now be removed.
What you can do:
Please contact your legislator & send emails. You can do it through their websites - find your legislator here: Connecticut General Assembly
Related:

(US) INDIANA:

Summary/Current Status:

What you can do:

Related:

(US) MICHIGAN:

Summary/Current Status:

What you can do:

Related:

(US) NEW MEXICO:

Summary/Current Status:

What you can do:

(US) TEXAS:

Summary/Current Status:
The most recent bill was left to die in committee: See End of the Road for Tesla, Ride-for-Hire Bills
The Texas legislature meets every two years, so we are left to try again in 2017.
What you can do:
Contact your legislator and let them know your position. Texans can look up their elected officials here: Who Represents Me--Home. The sponsors for the 2015 bills were Kelly Hancock in the Senate and Eddie Rodriguez, among others, in the House.

(US) UTAH:

Summary/Current Status:

What you can do:

Related:

(US) VIRGINIA:

(Canada) BRITISH COLUMBIA:

Summary/Current Status:

What you can do: