Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIDEO: Fox's Tesla Re-Coil (http://mediamatters.org/)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the other hand, what do we (as taxpayers) get for the subsidization if the oil industry?

Plenty of jobs!....Unfortunately its usually jobs cleaning up the spills....

o04_23306061[1].jpg

o33_6070s070[1].jpg

By contrast, $5 billion a year is drop in bucket compared to the revenues of just a few oil majors. To say nothing of the whole oil and gas industry. As a percentage of sales, it's a small subsidy. I don't favor it mind you. But folks need to keep it in perspective.

$5 billion would pay tuition for approximately 50,000 engineering students who could be helping advance technologies beyond fossil fuels.

According to the Center for American Progress the 5 major oil companies made a combined profit of $30.2 BILLION just in Q1 of 2013. $5 billion in subsidies may be a small amount to them, but in my perspective our taxpayer money could be put to better use!

Last edited:
I saw a TED Talk a bit back that basically said nothing, not any other issue, matters until money is removed from politics. I tend to agree. Everything else is simply noise that detracts from the only real issue.

The only way to remove money from politics is to remove the power of politicians over money.

If the federal government wouldn't have the power to make major economic decisions and control trillions of Dollars in spend than there would be no need for lobbyists.

A good read. Thanks. What i did not see was other benefits Oil companies get in regards to land. Free, dirt cheap leases, and use on national park property that no other industry gets (except logging). Also cleanup. After land and water spills and groundwater contamination and there are billions of barrels lost to the environment every year, they usually do little to cleanup that the Government or private sector does. Another "subsidy".

Fox's point is that government (taxpayer) money should not be used to subsidise private industry. Tesla just got caught in the fray and put in the same catagory as Fisker, and Solyndra.

Wait. Aren't the oil companies private industry too? The gov't has been subsidizing the oil industry for years. Billions of dollars. It's for our benefit - right??

IT ISN'T NEWS! These are talk shows, opinion, spin, political satire, etc. BUT NOT NEWS. Anybody who's at least 50 years old will remember what a news program was. 25 minutes for the local news, 20 minutes for international news, 5 minutes for weather, 5 minutes for sports, and 5 minutes for commentary. In total 1 hour and you got it all. And they even separated commentary from the news and labeled it as such.

News programs are gone. Here's a tell tale sign. If there are two or more people on the program, talking to each other, it's definitely not news. Even shows with just one person may not be "news". Here's how it typically goes:
- They mention a headline, then immediately give their opinion on how we should interpret it. - Not News!

Your video drives that point home. Although it could have been 2 hours long. Even Cramer has stopped bad mouthing Tesla. He now wants to own one, but he doesn't want to have to wait for it. No problem, there are plenty of Buicks sitting on lots just waiting for him to take them home TODAY!

Fox is guilty of NO NEWS, but that network isn't alone. NBC does the same thing, and others as well. We put up with it, so they keep doing it. Now we have politically opinionated "news" 24/7. Based on our affiliation, we all know which station to tune to, in order to scratch our itch for the kind of opinion that we want to hear.

...] Now we have politically opinionated "news" 24/7. Based on our affiliation, we all know which station to tune to, in order to scratch our itch for the kind of opinion that we want to hear.

Here’s my favourite. They’re not perfect, but I’m not aware of anything that’s better:

Democracy Now!

A daily independent global news hour

with Amy Goodman & Juan González

Last edited:
A good read. Thanks. What i did not see was other benefits Oil companies get in regards to land. Free, dirt cheap leases, and use on national park property that no other industry gets (except logging). Also cleanup. After land and water spills and groundwater contamination and there are billions of barrels lost to the environment every year, they usually do little to cleanup that the Government or private sector does. Another "subsidy".

Profits are privatized but the enormous social costs of extracting and burning fossil fuels are subsidized.

- - - Updated - - -

Fox's point is that government (taxpayer) money should not be used to subsidise private industry. Tesla just got caught in the fray and put in the same catagory as Fisker, and Solyndra.

Are you defending the indefensible?

[Democracy Now!] Never mention Tesla.

True. I guess one could argue that’s one example of the “not perfect” part :wink: (The only two references on the site seems to be about the infamous Mitt Romney quote from the latest POTUS election campaign.).

They do however often cover topics like man made global warming, money in politics and energy policy including topics like big oil and fracking – of which at least the latter inevitably leads to lethal chemical contamination of the surrounding aquifer… They also frequently cover foreign policy including the US policy towards oil producing countries in the middle-east that are literally ruled by undemocratic despots (or 'Kings' and 'Emirs' as they are called.).

…but yeah, granted, I guess their daily business coverage isn’t that …comprehensive.