Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIDEO: FALCON WING doors explained by Mark Templeton

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He's still wrong the way he portrays gull wing door as flying way out on both sides of the car. While the FaWD provide a slight advantage with the middle hinge, it's minor. Properly hinged GWDs in the centerline of the roof won't swing out the way he portrays it would. The GWD still angle down and not out. So for that, he's still wrong, that's just not how gull wing doors work.

Besides, he's not comparing the MX to other MX sized gullwing doors (because none exist). He's comparing it to existing GWD cars like the Delorean, MB 300SL, Bricklin.

True he's not comparing a Model X falcon wing door to a Model X sized Gullwing door because, like you said they don't exist. My guess is that they don't exist in larger format vehicles because they would be less practical/functional. I think the point he's making and the point Elon Musk has made is that if they had chosen to use the Gullwing format for this SUV, they wouldn't have been able to achieve the same functionality of being able to open the door in confined spaces. I don't think anyone is knocking the gullwing design (as it was clearly the inspiration for the falcon wing), just a recognition that an SUV form factor would mathematically require something a little different given how tall SUVs are.

Yep I'm with ya. Do you think you'll get a Model X?

Funny you ask. Back when the MX was announced, I wanted one real bad, mostly due to the FaWD cool factor.

But then I found out some time later than they were only for the rear doors. Since I don't have kids, or haul a lot of stuff or people, I'd never really use them. I then switched my desire to the MS, which had just started being sold and getting great reviews. I had to wait until 2014 when I sold my Delorean to get an 2013 Inventory MS which I adore.

Funny you ask. Back when the MX was announced, I wanted one real bad, mostly due to the FaWD cool factor.

But then I found out some time later than they were only for the rear doors. Since I don't have kids, or haul a lot of stuff or people, I'd never really use them. I then switched my desire to the MS, which had just started being sold and getting great reviews. I had to wait until 2014 when I sold my Delorean to get an 2013 Inventory MS which I adore.

I think I'm going to get one. I have a kid in high school but like you, won't get a whole lot of use out of the rear doors. I've been an SUV driver for years and am spoiled with the ride height. I've been drooling over the Model S for a couple of years now, but I think I've settled on the X. The falcon wing doors aren't the real kicker for me. I love sitting above most of the traffic and to be able to do that in a vehicle that handles and accelerates like a sportscar, makes me smile and show all of my teeth lol

Good chattin with ya Hank, all the best!