Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model X falcon wing door light behind the speaker grill.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently bought a used 2018 Model X (built in May 2018), and the falcon wing doors do not have any lights illuminating from behind the speaker grill like earlier models that I've seen. Do all Model X have this light, or was it discontinued? I shined a flashlight into the grill, and I can see what looks like a round light housing! Did Tesla not enable these lights or is it possible that both sides failed before we took ownership? Would be curious if any fellow 2018 X owners can confirm if they have working lights behind the speaker grills on the falcon wing doors.
On a side note, to remove these speaker grills, do they just unclip to remove by pulling on them, and clip them back on to install...or is it more involved?

IMG_2442.JPG

Reactions: pete8314
Solution
Mystery solved!!!! There is a specific setting to activate the lights behind the falcon wing door speaker grills. The official name for these lights in the Tesla database is "Welcome Lights". In the "lights" settings on the center screen, there are a few options to turn off and on certain lights like ambient lights and dome lights. These lights behind the speaker grill are connected to the dome light setting. I had mine turned off because I would have never guessed those were part of the dome light circuit. I've turned on the dome lights before, but since I didn't have the back doors open at that time, I never saw them on. So if you set your dome light setting to either "on" or "auto", those rear lights will turn on when you...
I have that light on my 2018 X built 10/18. It lights up when the FWD is open. If yours ever had the door panel removed, it's possible the wire for the light wasn't reconnected.

The speaker grill just unclips to remove. You need to do this to access the emergency door release.

Upvote 0
Mystery solved!!!! There is a specific setting to activate the lights behind the falcon wing door speaker grills. The official name for these lights in the Tesla database is "Welcome Lights". In the "lights" settings on the center screen, there are a few options to turn off and on certain lights like ambient lights and dome lights. These lights behind the speaker grill are connected to the dome light setting. I had mine turned off because I would have never guessed those were part of the dome light circuit. I've turned on the dome lights before, but since I didn't have the back doors open at that time, I never saw them on. So if you set your dome light setting to either "on" or "auto", those rear lights will turn on when you open the falcon wing doors. Now I can sleep. Good night :)

IMG_2979 (1).JPG

Upvote 0
Solution