Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vibrations/rattling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before rushing in to Tesla, check right through your car. I have previously been embarrassed when they found a pen rattling around in the glove box. The noise did NOT seem to be coming from there at all, but it was fixed once the pen was secured.....

Personally, I don't think a brand new car should have any rattling and creaking at all. If there is some sort of noise, something wasn't put together correctly and Tesla should address it. My 2014 ICE car's interior is absolutely silent.

However, if you have a used car (aka CPO), then that's a different story. I have a CPO and the interior has rattles and creaks. My car is a 2013 so I understand it was an earlier built car (1st gen and all) and things might not have been built and put together properly. No used car is going to be perfect. If you have a perfect one, then you are lucky. My car is currently in the shop to have the service center address some of the rattles and creaks. We'll see what the result will be.

Do your best to identify where the noise is coming from and that you are able to replicate it when you bring your car into the service center. If the service center can't hear the noise, then there's nothing they can do.

Best of luck to you.

The Buena Park Service Center dealt with every rattle and creek with my CPO. They even added felt strips to the inside of left hand door panel since I mentioned that it squeeked when I rested my arm on it or opened the door. They diligently removed interior panels and wrapped and taped down wires and whatnot until all was silent. It took several visits, and the car was in for other work, so it made sense to address it on those visits.

They do want you to be happy, mention anything and everything to your service advisor, and it will get taken care of.

I'm down to just the transmitted tire noise and wind noise now. So foamed times are in the cards if they ever make them for 19" wheels, and maybe some mass loaded vinyl, and/or sound mat.

Glad to you hear the BP service center was able to address all your rattles and creaks. I'm sure they will do their best to address of your issues until you are happy. It's just a pain sometimes to have to continue to bring your car back to the shop.

If they could have taken care of all these quality issues from the beginning or have a better built quality, then all these might have been avoidable. I totally understand TM is still a new comer when it comes to building cars and hopefully things will improve as they continue to build more cars.

I have a mid 2014 Model S bought CPO that I've had for close to half a year now. The pano creaks/rattles a little on rare occasion when driving over just the right road surfacing to trigger it. Also, the passenger side has a rattle when radio is turned up (seems to be coming from door panel but I haven't really diagnosed it yet). I'm thinking of trying to fix the radio rattle (probably myself unless it appears it would require doing something that would risk voiding the warranty), but the pano doesn't happen often enough for me to care. Oh, I also have the occasional seat squeak from rubbing the center console on bumpy roads, but this is such a nit pick that I don't consider it a relevant issue to be addressed (only mention it because I've seen at least one thread on it before where someone wasn't satisfied with it).

You know, now that I think about it, I've heard people say that with the Model 3 people won't accept some of the eccentricities or imperfections that sometimes exist with the Model S. But I think really it goes both ways a little. I've also seen some folks who expect absolute perfection on a Model S because it is an expensive car, whereas someone buying a less expensive car might not nit pick as much over every little minor quirk. I come from the poor boy crowd that has never owned a Mercedes, Jaguar, or any other expensive luxury brand, and I seem to be far more forgiving than some of the folks who are more used to those types of cars. The less well to do crowd may expect to not have problems with things like door alignment causing problems with opening and closing, but they also won't expect free "repairs" every time their seat makes a squeaky sound.

Last edited:
I don't think it is about being nit pick. People in general expect a lot from something expensive, whether it is car, electronic, home). Even a not too expensive car has a better built quality than Tesla (i.e., Honda Civic, Toyota Camry, Lexus IS). The interior materials are superior than what Tesla has in their cars right now. My 10 years old Lexus IS is quieter and has no rattles/creaks. It's just disappointing that a 2 - 3 year old car has so many quality issues (see this thread as an example). People will only put up with so much until a certain point, after that, you'll start losing loyal customers.

All in all, I think we all want TM to succeed in the auto business. We all love the car's design and everything. We just don't want TM to put so much focus on one area but drops the ball on other areas. There are a lot things TM can do a lot better. I'm sure it is a long growing list. Just hope someone higher up is taking notice of all these and will implement changes in the near future and soon.

I had a terrible rattle that was constant whenever the car was in motion. It sounded like it was coming from behind the CID. I lived with it for months until I finally got fed up and determined to root cause it. After searching everywhere while the car was in motion, I discovered that it was the plastic sleeve on my USB stick! Replaced with a USB stick with no moving parts and it's been rattle free since.