Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very sad... Fatality in a Model S on the 405

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a very sad story. I cannot imagine the anguish the father is feeling.

I think it is very important to try to stick to the facts of the accident as reported when trying to understand what happened. The Tesla was in the HOV lane but it's speed is unknown to us. The Chevy Tahoe clearly hit it from the rear mostly straight on, based on the photo. A Tahoe weighs approximately 5400 lbs. A Model S weights about 4800 lbs. For the Tahoe to inflict such severe damage on the rear of the S it must have been traveling much faster than the S. That is an extremely difficult scenario to fully protect rear seat passengers from.

I read somewhere that the boron reinforced rear bumper are rated to withstand a rear accident differential of 55mph. I don't remember where I read it, or if Elon said it at some point, but if that's true, I have no issues about putting my kids in the rear seats.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
You can't say that for sure - cars with the rear facing seats at the back are built in a different way (they have a solid bar across the back), so the collision impact will look very different on them.

Most likely the rear would be much more intact, and the front would have a lot more damage. Of course in that case, ALL occupants of the vehicle will suffer more deceleration G's.

So if the car had rear-facing seats installed (doesn't look like it did), it's likely there would have been even more injuries - even if those seats weren't in use.

This is tough to say. While a better match in bumper height would mean more immediate force transfer to a reinforced rear bumper and thus more acceleration of Tesla plus occupants on impact, this would be better than what appears to have happened with the Tahoe going up and over the back. The two cars are fairly similar in weight (Tahoe is about 5500LBS). Increasing the secondary front impact in this scenario would not be as dangerous given the Tesla's advanced front-end crash protection, front airbags and very long front crumple zone.
obz694-newfatal.jpg

This is tough to say. While a better match in bumper height would mean more immediate force transfer to a reinforced rear bumper and thus more acceleration of Tesla plus occupants on impact, this would be better than what appears to have happened with the Tahoe going up and over the back. The two cars are fairly similar in weight (Tahoe is about 5500LBS). Increasing the secondary front impact in this scenario would not be as dangerous given the Tesla's advanced front-end crash protection, front airbags and very long front crumple zone. View attachment 190341

Whats surprising for me in the photos is that the frame rails don't crumple so they end up focusing energy into the other car.

• Informative
Reactions: 1208
On no, I just saw the Tesla drivers name. He's a silicon valley guy and well known in the tech community. Oh this is just awful. :(

I'm always weary of connecting the dots on names from a report. A friend of mine's brother is pretty well screwed if you google his name.

There was another guy in the med school class behind him with the same first and last name who was caught for abusing animals. So while this poor guy is out volunteering for MSF he starts getting email death threats.You only know it's not him from the picture.

However, if the front seat driver had minor injuries and the rear seat passengers both had critical injuries it is possible that the rear seat passengers weren't wearing seat belts. Pure speculation of course.
The 7 year old would have still been required to be in a booster seat. The chance of the kids not being bucked in is really small.

The seatbacks of the rear seats sit above the wheels. The crash damage shows the Tahoe pushed beyond that, especially on the passenger-side of the vehicle. That's going to be bad, seatbelt or no.

Really sad. Makes me want to go hug my little guy.

My Scion FR-S for totaled on May 1st by a drunk driver. Thank god it happened while the car was parked and I was away surfing. Had it happened a few minutes prior when I was getting ready to go in the water I would likely have been injured.

That happened in OC as well. I can confirm the feel that justice is too lax. In my case the driver I believe was charged for a misdemeanor. That is despite the fact that according to a witness he was trying to flee the scene (but thank got could not as his car was too damaged).

I never really thought about drunk drivers until this. My only conclusion from it is that anything can happen and there is not much we can do but just hope not to be at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Reactions: pchilds
The Tesla family was from Northern California, Hillsborough...

I'm guessing this is the guy: Don Geddis

My friend was recently hit by a drunk driver while riding his bicycle. It was only by luck that he survived without any major injuries. The driver took off after checking to make sure he wasn't dead but was later apprehended. The driver's BAC was 3x the legal limit, he was driving while drinking a 1/5 of liquor and had a bag of weed on him; it was 4/20/2016 (420).

Anyways, turns out that he is the son of the former police chief of our city and his mom was the former chief press officer for the New York State police. His uncle was also the former police chief as was his grandfather before them.

They successfully kept it out of the press for a while until my friend, the victim, called the local newspaper. They ran one, small story and no other outlet picked it up. The family immediately sent the kid to rehab in Florida and he is now back currently pending trial.

Unfortunately, it is rather routine to plea out a DUI hit-and-run where there is no fatality on your first offense. And it sounds like that is what will happen in this case. Sad that it would take my friend to be gravely injured or killed for this asshat to get the punishment he deserves.

Son of ex-Albany police chief Tuffey faces DWI after cyclist hit

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: caps04 and Owner
I'm guessing this is the guy: Don Geddis

My friend was recently hit by a drunk driver while riding his bicycle. It was only by luck that he survived without any major injuries. The driver took off after checking to make sure he wasn't dead but was later apprehended. The driver's BAC was 3x the legal limit, he was driving while drinking a 1/5 of liquor and had a bag of weed on him; it was 4/20/2016 (420).

Anyways, turns out that he is the son of the former police chief of our city and his mom was the former chief press officer for the New York State police. His uncle was also the former police chief as was his grandfather before them.

They successfully kept it out of the press for a while until my friend, the victim, called the local newspaper. They ran one, small story and no other outlet picked it up. The family immediately sent the kid to rehab in Florida and he is now back currently pending trial.

Unfortunately, it is rather routine to plea out a DUI hit-and-run where there is no fatality on your first offense. And it sounds like that is what will happen in this case. Sad that it would take my friend to be gravely injured or killed for this asshat to get the punishment he deserves.

Son of ex-Albany police chief Tuffey faces DWI after cyclist hit

The article is paywalled. Oh well, journalists gotta eat too i guess.

I read somewhere that the boron reinforced rear bumper are rated to withstand a rear accident differential of 55mph. I don't remember where I read it, or if Elon said it at some point, but if that's true, I have no issues about putting my kids in the rear seats.

Elon said it. And he mentioned that it would withstand a hit by a semi going 55mph faster. Of course, there's nothing the rear bumper can do if the car behind goes over and on top.

Reactions: Karab and Max*
As tragic as this is, the Tesla may have saved the life of the father and the second daughter.

Given the impact absorbed by the Tesla, I wonder if the it also saved the lives of the people in the Honda Civic ahead of it.

I know there are a ton of Tesla drivers out there, but I can't help feeling like we're sort of an extended family. That, combined with the death of a child and the likelihood that this was caused by someone driving a tank like a Tahoe while intoxicated makes me feel positively ill.

Sad story.

Every accident and the optimal car setup for that accident is different. So the added rear stiffness of the 7 seat variant might increase deformation and acceleration for the front 5 seats in case of being rear ended by a "normal" car. It might just have helped in cases of being rear ended by a "non standard" high and heavy SUV, as you need significant energy absorbtion capability in the upper part of the rear structure.

So bottom line is that it's utmost sad, and the faster we get active safety features and full autonomous driving mainstream the more lives will be saved.

Reactions: 1208