Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vehicle stops charging after 5-10 minutes during on-peak times only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone. I've searched everywhere, cannot find anyone else mentioning this specifically. I see others have some issues with charging stopping randomly, with the same symptoms, but not specifically the problem of it only occurring during on-peak times for electricity cost. I have a service request into Tesla as well.

My vehicle will stop charging (Model X) after 5-10 minutes whenever I try to charge during 4pm to 9pm. I have solar and 3 x Powerwalls. I thought it might have to do with the Powerwalls not providing consistent power, so today I tried turning them off to force grid charge. Nope. No difference.

I've also tried playing with every last setting in the app and in the car. Turning on and off scheduled charge, setting leave time for 8pm so it knows I really need to charge NOW (at 5pm when I got home from work when I have to go out again in the evening). No matter what setting I change, it still stops charging. Charging starting at 9pm (what I normally have it scheduled to start at) always works fine, it charges fine overnight and is ready the next day. I precondition ready for 7am, all good too. If we get home at say 12pm or 2pm, it'll charge just fine as well. It's only when the app knows that it's on-peak time for So cal edison from 4pm to 9pm.

That made me also try to completely delete the profile for SCE as well. I tried editing it to say that it electricity was cheap all day. I tried deleting it. I tried changing it to another provider. No matter what I do, the app/software decides it should not charge during this time.

Obviously this is a major issue for me. I've had the car 3 years and it's always done it. It's obviously the most problematic when I've been out all day using it, I get home it's like 20%, so I want it to desperately charge up as much as possible for a few hours before going out again that night.

Basically, I'm resigned to checking the app every 5-10 minutes and waiting for it to stop and start it again. I do not have 'off peak charging' set.

I also have notifications on to tell me when charging is interrupted and I get nothing. I get other notifications about everything else, but it never tells me that.

It's also not anything to do with heat. If I plug in at 1pm in the peak of summer, it'll charge fine. If i go to a supercharger, it'll charge fine (which uses and produces far more heat). It's only home charger, during peak time. It's gotta be a bug to do with trying to 'save the grid' or some s*** in California, or trying to save me money even when I ask it to stop trying to do so.

Any ideas? Anyone else experience this?

Last edited:
Why would what charger I use solve the problem of it stopping charging from 4pm to 9pm? My charger works fine, but the software decides it should stop charging if you try to charge during peak time

If I use the mobile charger, it will charge extremely slowly, thus negating the purpose of getting as much charge in as possible from when i get home at 5pm to when i leave at 8pm. The mobile charger will add a couple of miles, the same amount as I might get in even just 1 session of charge connected to my home charger, even with it stopping without explanation.

What I need is for it to charge properly like it is right now after being plugged in at 11am. It's charging without stopping at all. It only happens during 4pm-9pm

Have you tested to determine this is happening ONLY at your home: can you Level 2 charge (32 amps, 240V) at other locations between 4PM and 9PM?

Presuming this is happening only at your house, I would guess this has something to do with your solar inverter(s). I presume they have some on-peak/off-peak settings. The Tesla charger constantly verifies your power source so if there is something going on with the inverters that is affecting your phase balance or grounding, it will shut off. Inverters have to do some rather complicated stuff to phase align to the grid whenever they first turn on and I could see the Tesla charger getting upset with that phase manipulation that occurs: depends on your inverter and how it handles that problem. I know you said you turned off the Powerwalls as an experiment, but have you completely disconnected the inverters and Powerwalls (via breakers - rather than just via software) to test the problem still occurs between 4PM and 9PM?

Also don't understand your comments about mobile charger speed being slow vs wall charger. The mobile charger is capable of 32A (from a 40A or 50A 240V receptacle) so that should be around 20+ MPH charge rate on your X. Seems like a valid data point to know if mobile charger will work (assuming you have a 14-50 or 6-50 receptacle and Tesla adapters available). The wall charger can only give you another 16A (48 amps max 240V into your Tesla) so not really that much difference in charging speed between a wall charger and mobile charger (unless you have a Model X vintage, around 2018, that is capable of 72 amps).

Last edited:
I don't have a 40A 240v receptacle. That's why. So it would be using the mobile charger to plug into standard outlet.

It would be an interesting experiment to see if it will charge Level 2 at another location. I don't have a place to test this, though.

The solar inverter is all controlled by Tesla software. So this posts perhaps belongs in that forum too (if it exists) as it may not be the Model X software at all. However, there are options to prevent it turning off during peak times (which I have set), so my conclusion at this time is that it is a software bug with the Tesla software as it controls the entire system, from solar to powerwalls to car charging.

I didn't just disable the powerwalls from the app, i cut power to the whole system, thus bypassing it and forcing everything to act as though all I had was a car and direct connection to the grid. But this wouldn't stop the software (and what it knows about my system as it's all been registered) continuing to incorrectly stop charging thinking it's doing what it shoudl be doing (to either lower my bill, or 'save the grid')

Thanks for the response. I don't think this is solvable until Tesla itself gets involved.

Just to give some resolution to this. The Service team reached out, was doing a bunch of testing on their end. I hadn't had a need to charge during peak time for a while until yesterday. I plugged in at 82% after 4pm and I was at 90% by 5pm, being charged entirely from my 3x Powerwalls (not the grid), so it has been fixed without any change on my end and proven that I can even charge the car from the powerwalls without an issue. I let the service team know of the good news, and they came back and said that it had been reported as an issue internally only the day before, and an article had been posted about this issue a day earlier. So this was an actual issue that they finally discovered and seem to have fixed. Bonus - they also asked the FSD team to send me the latest firmware for 11.3.3 FSD Beta, so I'm also now on the same firmware as all the early testers/ youtubers. Whilst I don't think the FSD software has anything to do with it - it was still good of them to try everything to ensure this was fixed. The only downside? When I said thank you, they replied "your welcome". Oh dear hahah!! But all resolved it seems, so wohoo!!

Reactions: posity
Hi Ben Jackson, just spotted this thread. I live in the UK and I've signed up to an off-peak charging schemed (Octopus Go) with my energy provider last summer during the peak of the energy crisis. This gives me roughly 80% saving during 4 off-peak hours (00:30-04:30). So I've been charging my Model Y since then during that period using the scheduled charging in the Tesla app and everything was fine.

This past weekend, I forgot to plugin the charger after getting home the previous evening and battery was down to 15% so I decided to charge it during morning (on-peak hours) by turning scheduled charging. The charging last about 5-10 minutes and stopped. I restarted and it stopped again. This continued for over an hour. I tried everything with the app and same thing. I restarted the charger (Tesla Gen 3) and same thing. I called Tesla support and they also asked me to use the mobile charger while monitoring it, and the charging was also interrupted.

Tesla support claimed that it was my energy provider who restricted the level of electricity that I can use during the day! I contacted my energy provider during the week and they told me that there's no way that they can do this.

So after reading this thread. I wonder if the same fault exists with Model Y? If yes, why didn't they release any new firmware update to fix as you mentioned above?

Oh and I should have reported back. The error returned once the service request was closed. It’s like it left a diagnostic mode and reverted to its previous behavior, which is the same as yours

vunguyenuk. Sorry To hear you have the same issue. Yes I believe it is something to do with the software trying to be smart during peak times but it ends up being super dumb. Definitely not the electricity supplier, as you said, not possible for there to be any sort of restriction. Glad you confirmed there was also no change using the mobile charger.​

Oh and I should have reported back. The error returned once the service request was closed. It’s like it left a diagnostic mode and reverted to its previous behavior, which is the same as yours

vunguyenuk. Sorry To hear you have the same issue. Yes I believe it is something to do with the software trying to be smart during peak times but it ends up being super dumb. Definitely not the electricity supplier, as you said, not possible for there to be any sort of restriction. Glad you confirmed there was also no change using the mobile charger.​

Was this issue ever resolved? I am switching my PG & E plan to the Home Charging EV2-A plan and intend to set timed charging to off-peak. Now I am afraid that if I forget to plug it in I may need to charge during peak hours and will be blocked by Tesla. Was your issue ever resolved? Are you able to override your off-peak charging settings in the event of an emergency?