Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Various sensors, lighting, horntones & other addons for my S (Dadaleus' custom build)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been looking at the 9500ci installation instructions and boy it's invasive, wires have to run all over. The ones from the rear laser shifter and gps unit looked particularly problematic. I'd be scared to let anyone install it on a car like the Model S they've never dealt with! The 8500ci has much less, but still requires wires running to the forward detector and the display.

Daedalus, I'm guessing they drilled a hole in your dash to route the power for the display?

Been looking at the 9500ci installation instructions and boy it's invasive, wires have to run all over. The ones from the rear laser shifter and gps unit looked particularly problematic. I'd be scared to let anyone install it on a car like the Model S they've never dealt with! The 8500ci has much less, but still requires wires running to the forward detector and the display.

Daedalus, I'm guessing they drilled a hole in your dash to route the power for the display?

Totally depends on how easy to remove the trim in the frunk and trunk. If Model S is like other cars, it's not very complicated to run the various wires. It's a piece of cake for a professional installer, and without an engine, the Model S should be easier. My guess is that a hole in the dash will not be necessary as there will routes for existing cables/wires that can also be used for the radar/laser cables.

I posted a quick update here: Front Collision Detection

Basically, I LOVE the Mobileye and Al & Eds of West Hollywood got it working flawlessly in the Tesla Model S now. Highly recommended for automatic high beams, collision warning, pedestrian warning, and configurable excess speed over the speed limit warning.
If you haven't already, can you provide detailed feedback on the pros/cons of the system to Tesla directly? I'm hoping they will take this feedback to heart when considering future features for S, X, Gen 3, etc.

Thanks in the past and going forward if you did/do. :)

I share the same concerns as ckessel above. I'm comfortable with the 8500ci + passport shifters for integration and simplicity or the 8500ci + either blinders or LI's for better performance. Concluded the rear shifters aren't worth the price and install risks.

I've been frozen here in the Boston area for 2 months regarding the radar install due to lack of experience by the installers with the Model S. I had the good fortune to run into the the Boston SC manager on the NYT Road Trip in Milford, got a lot of good insights on several issues, but not on the radar install. He did indicate that there may be issues with easy pass behind the grill, which may imply performance problems with the 8500. It's still not clear to me if either the radar or shifters will work behind the mesh.

I visited two installers (the only two i'm aware of locally), and neither had any experience with the Model S. The car is superbly engineered and without any body noises after close to 3 months - i don't want someone without exerience to screw it up. I'm also concerned about an install that looks good but is ineffective.

I'd appreciate understanding anyone's experience post-install and advice on working with someone not familiar with the Model S. Does the TSC provide any support for these installers?

Thanks.

I share the same concerns as ckessel above. I'm comfortable with the 8500ci + passport shifters for integration and simplicity or the 8500ci + either blinders or LI's for better performance. Concluded the rear shifters aren't worth the price and install risks.

I've been frozen here in the Boston area for 2 months regarding the radar install due to lack of experience by the installers with the Model S. I had the good fortune to run into the the Boston SC manager on the NYT Road Trip in Milford, got a lot of good insights on several issues, but not on the radar install. He did indicate that there may be issues with easy pass behind the grill, which may imply performance problems with the 8500. It's still not clear to me if either the radar or shifters will work behind the mesh.

I visited two installers (the only two i'm aware of locally), and neither had any experience with the Model S. The car is superbly engineered and without any body noises after close to 3 months - i don't want someone without exerience to screw it up. I'm also concerned about an install that looks good but is ineffective.

I'd appreciate understanding anyone's experience post-install and advice on working with someone not familiar with the Model S. Does the TSC provide any support for these installers?

Thanks.

I posted my experience of installing the 9500ci here. I did visit a local installer too, and was reasonably happy he'd do a good job, but for $600 I was reasonably happy I could do a good job too :). I didn't run the rear shifter as its not really needed here in TX, plus it sure does stand out on the plate. If I do run it, I'd attach it to the rear valance, which is not ideal, but there's really no other option. I've no squeaks or rattles since doing the install, and everything came apart very logically, there's really no 'gotchas'.

I posted my experience of installing the 9500ci here. I did visit a local installer too, and was reasonably happy he'd do a good job, but for $600 I was reasonably happy I could do a good job too :). I didn't run the rear shifter as its not really needed here in TX, plus it sure does stand out on the plate. If I do run it, I'd attach it to the rear valance, which is not ideal, but there's really no other option. I've no squeaks or rattles since doing the install, and everything came apart very logically, there's really no 'gotchas'.

Thanks Pete - your post was a huge help - i went through it with an installer and it clarified several key questions. Really appreciate the time you took to take the pictures and make the post.

Dadaleus, my car is I'm the shop here in Philly right now getting curb sensors, curb alert pro and Mobileye installed. I want to install the Mobileye display on the dash by the pillar like yours, but don't see a way to do it without drilling into the leather on the dash which I don't really want to do. It does have a
Sticky tape for installing also though. Did you have yours mounted with screws or is it mounted on the dash
With the mounting tape?

P1117 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk