Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V2L modelS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Once my battery is out of warranty Id like to set up V2L using My "S". I had considered buying another EV that offers same but surely it can be done somehow with my S. At the moment my solar home power system runs on an AC coupled Selectronics bidirectional inverter so there is no need to buy more gear. AC coupling means the solar DC is converted to AC which can be used by a grid inverter but in my case I dont have a grid just a stand alone 48V 5kW inverter. My grid inverter is 6kW and is fed at 350V to 400V and is OK to take up to 500V so it would work at the Tesla battery level. This inverter would work on any form of DC solar or battery. Id get the DC from a CHAdeMO adaptor thru a double pole breaker. It would only be used in emergencies such as battery failure or a nuclear winter or such. The problem I have is how do you do the hand shake to turn on the DC from the car?

I thought Tesla's charging circuitry used diodes, rather than bi-directional components which might allow the DC to flow out as well as in to the battery.
At least, from other posts I've seen (on TMC, I think), that seems to be the case with the later models 3 & Y. But, I have no idea on the S/X battery management designs.
I gather from comments on the recent Master Plan 3 release, that the next generation will have some bidirectional capability, albeit probably V2L, rather than anything more. That is a pity in my book, but then who am I to disagree with Elon?