Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using the EVSE Rebate on Charger to Install Later?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick question guys, I'm looking to buy a home late 2020 but by then the EVSE Rebate (up to 40% off equipment/install) would be eliminated.
My question is, could I use the "Up to 40%" rebate right now to purchase just the wall charger or does the rebate hinge on getting both the charging equipment as well as doing the install? I ask cause I have my eyes on that beautiful silver wall charger.

Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE) Rebate Program 2.0

My advice would be to call the phone number at the bottom of that page and ask them. Wording in one place seems to indicate that a rebate is possible for ONLY buying the EVSE ("...can acquire a state rebate for purchasing OR installing an electric vehicle charging station"; bolding is mine), while other places it appears that installation is REQUIRED ("To be eligible for funding, EVSEs equipment AND installation costs must be incurred..."; again, bolding is mine).

If in doubt, wait. These programs sometimes get extended, so the rebate may be available in a year, even though it's slated to end before then. Also, you might be able to get the cost of an EVSE added to your mortgage, which will reduce its cost on a monthly basis to very little indeed.