Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using only the camera turn signal when changing lanes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The motorcycle won't be in the live camera feed if the camera isn't pointed at the motorcycle. Motorcycles fit in places that are beside the car and not in view of the camera.

Let me simplify this for you: YOUR A DANGEROUS DRIVER IF THINK THERE IS ANY HOPE OF THIS WORKING! YOU ARE GOING TO KILL SOMEONE! The fact you even brought this up means that you'll never, ever, become and actually good driver.
I’m asking questions because I’ve never had a car with cameras all over it, this is why I’m asking

I’m asking if the side camera is better, just as good, or worse than the mirror

I

What you feel is not what's true. You're ASSUMING that you can see everything and not checking your blind spot. It's basically a matter of time before you kill a motorcyclist. You're no different than those old people that put those tiny convex mirrors in the corner of their side mirrors. The don't want to turn their head, so they come up with an excuse not to. When they go a full 2 days without hitting anyone, because the other drivers see them and get out of the way they think they can actually see. They can't.

I ride a motorcycle and I now treat all Teslas like I treat any car with these:

That person is not even coming close to paying attention and will try to kill me as soon as I pull beside them. This is not helped by the fact that Tesla cameras are known for not noticing motorcycles. My car regularly thinks my bike is a garbage can when parking next to it in my garage.

Mark my words. You will seriously hurt somebody and it will be your fault. PAY ATTENTION! DRIVE THE CAR!
I also ride a motorcycle, in SoCal. I treat all cars as motorcycle killers. A motorcyclist is assuming more risk and responsibility than the caged driver. Yelling on this forum at the OP will hopefully get at least one more person to be aware of their surroundings. It's scary, I see so many posts from new Tesla owners about how annoyed they are by the constant "nags" ( those are PAY ATTENTION STUPID, safety alerts). I definitely give every Tesla lots of room. Especially if it has a new paper license plate. And this thread is typical. "Can I or can I not ignore my side-view mirrors"!!!!

The motorcycles will be invisible in the live camera feed? I think your talking about the white and grey self driving screen that shows grey objects

I’m talking about the live camera feed that only comes up when you use your turn signal, idk how a motorcycle would be invisible in that
Like I said up thread, do a test. I hope you would not trust it if someone says, "side-view mirrors aren't needed anymore".

So there’s some things the mirrors can see that the cameras can’t, which means you need to use both

Can’t use only the camera
Didn't say the mirror sees something the camera doesn't. I'm saying that by looking at a mirror, there is additional peripheral vision on top of looking at a mirror. By looking at a centrally located camera image, peripheral vision around the screen means nothing.

Plus IMO, using both is (1) a lot of unnecessary head movement for going left and (2) there is no significant additional value in looking at a centrally located camera image over a mirror placed to the side of the intended direction.

But hey, you do you. 🍻

Reactions: afadeev
Didn't say the mirror sees something the camera doesn't. I'm saying that by looking at a mirror, there is additional peripheral vision on top of looking at a mirror. By looking at a centrally located camera image, peripheral vision around the screen means nothing.

Plus IMO, using both is (1) a lot of unnecessary head movement for going left and (2) there is no significant additional value in looking at a centrally located camera image over a mirror placed to the side of the intended direction.

But hey, you do you. 🍻
Ok I thought the camera showed the blind spot of the mirror but if it doesn’t then it’s pretty useless

At first I figured it’s more comfortable looking at my screen for the blind spot instead of turning and looking over my shoulder

Does anyone really need to use the mirrors? The camera that comes up with the turn signal gives you a much better view and even a red flash warning if someone is beside you

I saw highland has a blind spot light by the mirrors now but wondered what that was even needed for when you have the camera
Either method has weaknesses.
• I've seen it estimated that 90% of people don't adjust their mirrors properly to cover their blind spot. They set their side mirrors to look down the side of the car, and to the rear, rather than at an angle to see the blind spot. You nave a center mirror to see rearward, so most people's side mirrors looking back are redundant. So, for those people will ill-adjusted mirrors, using the cameras is probably safer.
• Using the cams can be problematic since there's a limit to how far back it can see. That is, a fast moving vehicle can be out of view of the cams, when you initiate a lane change. Having said that, even with mirrors, you also have this issue, as far fast-moving objects are hard to see.

Personally, I use my mirrors, and the car's cam w/warning is my secondary in case I missed something, but I always use my mirrors.

Either method has weaknesses.
• I've seen it estimated that 90% of people don't adjust their mirrors properly to cover their blind spot. They set their side mirrors to look down the side of the car, and to the rear, rather than at an angle to see the blind spot. You nave a center mirror to see rearward, so most people's side mirrors looking back are redundant. So, for those people will ill-adjusted mirrors, using the cameras is probably safer.
• Using the cams can be problematic since there's a limit to how far back it can see. That is, a fast moving vehicle can be out of view of the cams, when you initiate a lane change. Having said that, even with mirrors, you also have this issue, as far fast-moving objects are hard to see.

Personally, I use my mirrors, and the car's cam w/warning is my secondary in case I missed something, but I always use my mirrors.
Yes I’ve been using both too because I thought the camera covered the mirrors blind spot which meant I wouldn’t need to look over my shoulder, then I started thinking I wonder if I even need to use the mirrors anymore so I asked here

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Maybe, but what about when lighting is not the best? Like when the sun messes up camera view. Or how 'bout when the camera lense has stuff on it. There are probably more reason where camera can't be relied on. In any case, I don't think anyone will remove their side view mirrors ... its just feels unsafe.

Edit: like UncleCreepy says below, that camera view is only available with an active turn signal.
You can bring up the rear/side cam views anytime, but it's a pain looking away from the road to find the button on the screen. Specially when you're thinking about a lane change. I believe that the revamped M3+ has a dedicated steering wheel button that bring up the 3 cams

You can bring up the rear/side cam views anytime, but it's a pain looking away from the road to find the button on the screen. Specially when you're thinking about a lane change. I believe that the revamped M3+ has a dedicated steering wheel button that bring up the 3 cams
I keep the 3 cameras permanently on unless I'm driving in an unfamiliar place where I need to look at the map. The turn by turn directions still show up, just on the left of the screen near your speedo instead of near the center.

That said, I still move my head to change lanes because as others pointed out, when looking to the left, it's unnatural given the screen is not in the path of the mirror. Only when looking to the right does it make sense to glance on the screen.

I find the rear view visibility to be poor in the MY. I have a M3P, but drive a MYP sometimes. The rear view mirror is next to useless since the rear window is so short. I use multivex side mirrors (they stick on the Tesla mirrors) I have used multivex mirrors in all my cars for many year. The multivex mirror eliminates the blind spot. The blind spot is pretty bad in the stock side mirror in the MY. So far when I have tried the side cameras it is distracting to look at and hard to be sure what is where. The mirrors are super simple and work perfectly once modified. I always turn my head to check when changing lanes. I rode a motorcycle for many years and keep an eye out for them.

I was paying more attention when I used them today and I can see a vehicle even when it’s right beside me with the turn signal camera, so it pretty much covers everything

I can see vehicles that are coming up on me
I can see vehicles in my blind spot
I can see vehicles directly beside me

All through the turn signal camera

I think this is all just a matter of adapting and getting used to doing things in a different way. I've been driving for over 40 years and still find the transition from mirrors to cameras challenging. My kids however are a different story, I don't think they know what the mirrors are there for lol

As I said to the wife the other day when I showed her the red mist on side camera....don’t rely just on the red screen, as technology can fail...but definitely don’t turn if it is red. But the wife doesn’t actually like the rear camera when parking...so it’s whatever is comfortable.
There are four methods to make a safe lane change....the camera image, the mirror, turning your head and finally the computer image on screen. On the freeway I use all four to make a safe lane change. But in urban traffic where the lane changes happen too often, there isn’t time so I still mostly rely on the mirror but try to sneak a look at the camera if possible

Reactions: zoomer0056
As I said to the wife the other day when I showed her the red mist on side camera....don’t rely just on the red screen, as technology can fail...but definitely don’t turn if it is red. But the wife doesn’t actually like the rear camera when parking...so it’s whatever is comfortable.
There are four methods to make a safe lane change....the camera image, the mirror, turning your head and finally the computer image on screen. On the freeway I use all four to make a safe lane change. But in urban traffic where the lane changes happen too often, there isn’t time so I still mostly rely on the mirror but try to sneak a look at the camera if possible
Of course if the camera was blocked and I couldn’t see I would use the mirror and look over my shoulder for blind spot

Last edited: