Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using EVTripplanner, how many buffer miles should I add between SCs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EVTripPlanner.com works very well, as long as you put everything in and don't hit "other" conditions like thunderstorms, slush, or freezing rain.

In good weather, I used to use a 25% margin, but now I am very comfortable with a 15% margin. For example, if EVTripPlanner.com predicts 100 rated miles for a segment, I will make sure to charge to at least 115 rated miles, if it predicts 200 rated miles needed, I will charge to at least 230 rated miles. Not charging more into the taper than you need, and arriving at a Supercharger with minimal rated miles both reduce your time charging at the Supercharger.

Enjoy your drives!

I did two long trips with the help of EVTripPlanner. 1500 & 2200 miles. 15% works as long as there is no storm or rain. I had a 50% buffer from Corning to Mt Shasta in a bad storm and arrived with 0 miles remaining...

I am an early LEAF adopter, waiting for my Tesla on order. It has been my technique to add 15% to the range estimator or "geussometer" when trip planning. Add more % for terrain and weather....

- - - Updated - - -

I am an early LEAF adopter, waiting for my Tesla on order. It has been my technique to add 15% to the range estimator or "geussometer" when trip planning. Add more % for terrain and weather....

Correct spelling "guessometer"...hah!

EV Trip Planner or no, keep in mind that returning on a route you first took last week is indeed a new trip and all cautions apply. It is not a well known commute, as much as you try to think of it as such. Mistakes can and likely will be made and you'll find yourself on top of Storm King Mt looking at a 20 mile loss at least. Later in central Jersey one imagines that Rt27 looks just like US130 (disregarding sketch map) and makes the turn. Loss of 6 or 8 miles. Note to self: All highways in central Jersey at night look alike! Arrived Hamilton SC with 3 miles remaining. :redface:

Its not called 'EV Commute Planner'; if you are at the filling station, by golly, fill the tank up!!

[Ok, I will try this prg if at all possible.]
--

One thing that is unclear to me about EVTrip Planner is elevation gain. It seems to use starting and ending elevation and just work with the net gain/loss. But some routes have a lot of up and down. For example, looking to drive between Coeur dAlene, ID and Missoula, MT. The net difference is 1K ft. Yet there are a series of mountains in between that look like about 4K ft uphill and 3K downhill. I know you gain a lot less back going downhill than it takes to go up. Anybody know for sure?

We just did a trip CA-CO: add 50 extra miles & take a hard copy route map if your going through internet dead zones, get your tires/wipers/breaks checked as part of a safety inspection (free at SC)....have fun!

A relatively inexpensive GPS that plugs into the cigarette lighter can replace the hard copy.

- - - Updated - - -

One thing that is unclear to me about EVTrip Planner is elevation gain. It seems to use starting and ending elevation and just work with the net gain/loss. But some routes have a lot of up and down. For example, looking to drive between Coeur dAlene, ID and Missoula, MT. The net difference is 1K ft. Yet there are a series of mountains in between that look like about 4K ft uphill and 3K downhill. I know you gain a lot less back going downhill than it takes to go up. Anybody know for sure?

The net gain or loss over the trip is certainly primary to planning. But, if the ups and downs are significant, it might make sense to plan the trips in segments.

When you know there could be issues, just give yourself more buffer.

Click on the details tab -- it will show you the elevation ups and down for each segment. I'm pretty certain it uses the segments up and downs.

We went to the Grand Canyon in Feb. From our house in Scottsdale to the Supercharger in Flagstaff is "only" 129 miles. But it includes 9,417' in elevation gain, and drops of 4,822' for a net change of 4,595'. EVTP estimated we would use 177 RM if we drove the speed limit and the average temp was 47F.

Actual temps turned out to be slightly higher (was mostly low 50s), and we drove the speed limit (mostly 75) for all but the last 20 miles when we bumped it up to 5 over (when it was clear we would easily make it in our 60). Actual use turned out to be 186 RM -- and the "extra" 9 miles of usage was due to a combination of an unplanned 2 mile detour for a potty break and the speed burst towards the end...

OP, I've done the drive from SD to SF. You can make it from home to the Tejon supercharger in one go, (skip SJC and Hawthorne) and it's not difficult and saves a ton of time. Really, you can do it!

The trick is to monitor your kw usage (more so than your mph). I found that driving at 20kw on the flat parts kept me at rated range (~300wh/m) or slightly better and 65-70mph. Going over the grapevine I slowed down and tried to stay around 40-50kw / 60mph just while climbing. Yes, you look silly in a Tesla going so slow, but it's only for 15 minutes and you've saved over an hour already. Going downhill you cruise into Tejon supercharger at 70mph+ with plenty of range, I had over 50 miles left.

From Tejon to SF you won't have range anxiety -- I just added 50 miles to whatever the actual distance is and it's smooth sailing at 70-75 mph. In San Francisco there is plenty of overnight EV charging. I recommend the Sutter-Stockton garage because charging is free and it's close to good hotels (just pay regular the overnight rates, which are reasonable for SF. Go down to the bottom level, it's ok to go around the cones for EV charging.)