Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using EVs to power homes in emergency, EV as batteries.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since we have drifted off the “emergency” use question, let me say that I don’t believe we should be using car batteries for solar storage, in fact I feel we should not be installing batteries in homes at all. What is needed is for consumers and utilities to come together to create fair power buy pack process. In this way the consumer is using the power company as their “battery” and making money while at it, and the power company is then able to reduce generation from none-renewable sources, which benefits everyone. Also, once in place, we can swiftly increase solar production since consumers would no longer have to spend money on panels AND batteries, switches, etc.

Because we have lots of evidence that utilities will do something that is "fair for all", right?

Net metering is totally unfair to the utilities and everyone not on solar.
How so? People spend large sums of $$$ for a PV (or some kind of generating) equipment, to then fee/tax them is immoral and unethical.
Might as well tax people for installing LED lights because they use less power, less profit for utilities.

What is debatable is the "line charge" cost to maintain the power lines, so there is a case for reducing the payback for PV generated.
Paying back surplus at 50% of the cost to receive would probably be acceptable to most PV users, but the range can be from 10 to 100% of retail amount.

Net metering means your bill is power you draw minus the power you return, times your electric rate. Power companies buy power every hour and look for the lowest prices, then add a mark-up, which becomes the electric rate for all. Net metering effectively means the power company is buying power at the RETAIL rate and this raises the cost of power for everyone.

The other charges being discussed are because consumers rightfully expect the power company to provide power when, for example, the Sun is not shinning. But since the power company has to be ready to supply power immediately, there is a cost of maintaining adequate “spinning reserves” to supply power at a moments notice, and someone has to pay for that.

This is not a simple matter and those with solar need to understand the impact on the cost of power they create and on their impact to the grid. And power companies need to cease getting in the way and work towards mutually beneficial solutions.

Net metering means your bill is power you draw minus the power you return, times your electric rate. Power companies buy power every hour and look for the lowest prices, then add a mark-up, which becomes the electric rate for all. Net metering effectively means the power company is buying power at the RETAIL rate and this raises the cost of power for everyone.
Net metering does not have to be buy back at same rate as sell to.
This is not a simple matter and those with solar need to understand the impact on the cost of power they create and on their impact to the grid. And power companies need to cease getting in the way and work towards mutually beneficial solutions.
Agree and agree.

If utilities complain about using their power grid, then make it legal to solar customers GO OFFGRID then?

I love to be able to not deal with electric bill and politics.

Oh, they need your money and make it illegal to go OFFGRID.

As for v2g, the original intent was to "help" off load peak power usage (like some have used with power wall). Then charge back up using cheap super off-peak rate.

If I am allowed to go off grid, I will do both power wall and v2g. Safe as much solar power. And then install residential wind mills to supplement night use too.

If utilities complain about using their power grid, then make it legal to solar customers GO OFFGRID then?
“OK, here’s the deal. Off grid living is illegal. Sometimes. Let’s start off by clearing up some misconceptions.

“In its most simplistic definition, “off grid” living means being disconnected from the public power grid. Off grid living, by itself, is not technically illegal. Producing your own power is off grid living and perfectly legal.

“The problem arises when overly restrictive city and county ordinances and zoning restrictions put a crimp on the off grid lifestyle and make it illegal to do certain things on or with your property. That’s when it becomes illegal to live off grid.”

As citizens, we elect people to city and county offices. If you do not like what they are doing replace them.

I think people will be surprised at how expensive the Sunrun kit is both in parts and labor to support the F-150 Lightning Intelligent Backup Power feature. Of course, if you didn't buy the Extended Range battery, you need to buy the Ford Charge Station Pro which will certainly be over $1,000 alone. There is also a probable up-charge to enable the Intelligent Backup Power feature if you didn't buy the Extended Range Battery too.