Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used P85 or 85D?

If you could only buy one of these two options which would you choose.

• P85

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • 85D

Votes: 36 92.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well since the 85D is just as fast as the P85, I'd pick the newer car with more features and AWD to boot.

That said this is assuming all other things like price, mileage, etc are equal. If the P85 was a better deal due to a much lower price, then I'd pick that. It's still a great car.

Reactions: whitex
I am going through a similar dilemma. My 2013 Brown P85 runs out of warranty next February, and thinking ahead what to do. A titanium metallic 85D with tan interior and 25K miles can be had for $44K with a four year warranty. If I was buying today, I would pay an additional $9000 for a P90DL with the same mileage. I know, you don’t have to get to sixty in 2.6 seconds, and the whole 90 battery degradation issue, but just to have the performance would be worth it to me.
You’re gonna be dead a long time, go for the P AND the AWD!

Kinda surprised by the landslide so far. I will be in Texas so "winter" driving won't be an issue at all. Lots to think about. I'll be buying this year I just still don't know which one I want. Thanks for the replies.

I think that you left out the biggest decision point, price.

If price is no object, I'm not buying used. But since you are being used, I'm assuming that price is an issue.
Therefore that real question is "Are the advantages of the P85 and 85D worth X dollars"

I am going through a similar dilemma. My 2013 Brown P85 runs out of warranty next February, and thinking ahead what to do. A titanium metallic 85D with tan interior and 25K miles can be had for $44K with a four year warranty. If I was buying today, I would pay an additional $9000 for a P90DL with the same mileage. I know, you don’t have to get to sixty in 2.6 seconds, and the whole 90 battery degradation issue, but just to have the performance would be worth it to me.
You’re gonna be dead a long time, go for the P AND the AWD!
The biggest factor between the "P" and non "P" AWD cars would be the range. If the extra real world range is not that big of an issue, by all means, get the "P" version.

If you were going to buy a used Model S around year 2015 and you had to pick between a P85 or a 85D which would you choose and more importantly why?

IIRC once "D" was introduced, P85D replaced P85 instantly. So there will be no 2015 P85, and no P85 and 85D of the same age. Maybe one of the youngest 2014 P85 will be close in age to the oldest 2014 85D's.

I think that's totally true if you don't rotate or if your rear negative camber is really really negative, but even with someone negative rear camber, frequent tire rotations will just swap which tires the rear axel is hardest on.
Accelerated wear is still accelerated wear. Even if you spread it out over more tires, the wear is still more on the RWD cars vs the standard AWD cars.