Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Audio Getting Worse [2020 Model S]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think not many people must use the USB for audio, but I have a ton of songs on a USB drive from my previous car, all organized and such... and it's easily been the *most* frustrating experience since I bought my Tesla, and it's getting worse.

The constant issue is the USB drive not loading quickly enough to "resume playing music". So I have to open the driver door, not get in, wait for it to "show up" on the screen, close the door, then open it again to trigger the "resume playing music" function, THEN get in. Otherwise there's no way to resume the music that stopped previously.

Recent software updates (for USB-based music) have removed album images, made it so listening history does NOT show history from USB drive, and Favorites from USB get reset regularly making it basically useless.

Has anyone else noticed these things? Does anyone know how to actually contact Tesla to put in support tickets for this stuff? I've seen miscellaneous forum posts on the internet going back 5+ years about some of these things, which makes me think maybe only a few people actually use the USB drive for music, and the developers just don't really care.

I think not many people must use the USB for audio, but I have a ton of songs on a USB drive from my previous car, all organized and such... and it's easily been the *most* frustrating experience since I bought my Tesla, and it's getting worse.

The constant issue is the USB drive not loading quickly enough to "resume playing music". So I have to open the driver door, not get in, wait for it to "show up" on the screen, close the door, then open it again to trigger the "resume playing music" function, THEN get in. Otherwise there's no way to resume the music that stopped previously.

Recent software updates (for USB-based music) have removed album images, made it so listening history does NOT show history from USB drive, and Favorites from USB get reset regularly making it basically useless.

Has anyone else noticed these things? Does anyone know how to actually contact Tesla to put in support tickets for this stuff? I've seen miscellaneous forum posts on the internet going back 5+ years about some of these things, which makes me think maybe only a few people actually use the USB drive for music, and the developers just don't really care.
I have been using my usb for music since 2013 and have never had all my album art show, plus on several updates they remove all my history and messed up the whole audio system for usb music, it seems so simple to make it work like it should but not important to Tesla.

I've been dealing with this for 2.5 years and charted my experiences in this thread. I totally agree with you. USB audio should be great but it isn't, and I'm tired of letting the thing load for 20 minutes every time I open the door. If you read my updated post on that thread from a couple of days ago, you'll see the workaround I finally came up with. It's not ideal, but at least I can have my enormous album collection all in one place in the car- no more USB issues.