Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upset that Vehicle expected date is moving around!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's extremely hard to calculate expected delivery time. Tesla tends to build in batches, One model, one color, one configuration. I'm sure that they try to optimize the batches and satisfy as many customers as quickly as possible. And if a lot of customers all of the sudden want white, that may change the production schedule.

But in general, the estimate is often in the ballpark.

Folks in the US last year got delayed for almost a year because of the sheer volume.

But the general rule is that the estimate is definitely an estimate subject to change and often does. But one day, when you least expect it, you'll probably get a text that says that you need to pickup the car in a few days, so make sure that you have everything ready.

And there may also be the situation that someone doesn't pick a car that's near your and they make it available for you.

So if you want to say that Tesla is lying, then sure, that's your take.And you should maybe question whether you want a Tesla or not. I'm sure that there is someone in the queue after you that would love to have their car earlier.
With regards to the "Are they lying" it was because when my January order is now slated for delivery in May-June it seems unrealistic that a car ordered today, would be delivered in the estimated timeframe of March-April 2023 that they state on their website right now.

Surely they must know that with the amount of cars being ordered, if they are right now unable to deliver a january order until May, i find it hard to believe that they can honestly think that a late february order (For the exact same spec car) would be delivered in March - April 2023.

Reactions: zoomer0056
the delivery algorithm is subject to many variables and there's no attempt at dishonesty that can be inferred.
however, it's poor planning to sell your car even before a VIN is received. that's the minimum sell point.

there are so many sob stories here on TMC about such mistaken timing that at this point it cannot be said this is Tesla's fault.
the information and experiences are widely, publicly available, and if you didn't bother to be investigating all aspects of your purchase, that's on you.
I was not aware that i was supposed to go to other independent tesla themed websites to get the truth about delivery dates, i would have preferred if the information on their website were more accurate. I might be very demanding, but if they say 1-2 months, i would not expect that to mean 4-5 months.

But that's probably just me, expecting to much then.

PS. I did not sell my car previous car because i was expecting delivery at a set date, my previous car was actually totalled by someone else a few months ago, and we have found ways to live with only having one car, for some time now.

With regards to the "Are they lying" it was because when my January order is now slated for delivery in May-June it seems unrealistic that a car ordered today, would be delivered in the estimated timeframe of March-April 2023 that they state on their website right now.

Surely they must know that with the amount of cars being ordered, if they are right now unable to deliver a january order until May, i find it hard to believe that they can honestly think that a late february order (For the exact same spec car) would be delivered in March - April 2023.
That's called two different systems do not seem to be in sync with each other. An extremely common situation across all industries.

I can't tell you the number of "Next Day Delivery" items on Amazon were a couple of days later.

I meant loan quote, since they only last 30-45 days depending on bank
For me it means that i have to contact my insurance company again, the offer for a price i received, will be invalid when the car actually arrives.

Not a biggie, but still more work for me and i had to choose what insurance company i wanted to insure it with, to finish up my pre-purchase tasks on the website.

For me it means that i have to contact my insurance company again, the offer for a price i received, will be invalid when the car actually arrives.

Not a biggie, but still more work for me and i had to choose what insurance company i wanted to insure it with, to finish up my pre-purchase tasks on the website.
If you don't care about hard inquiry pulls on your credit sure

If you don't care about hard inquiry pulls on your credit sure
Sorry, i don't understand that ?

But since i am not financing this car, i will just pay for it fully, as the money for the car is already in my bank account, i don't understand why anyone would be looking at my credit ?

I am not a native English speaker, so forgive me if what you say is meant to be understood differently.

True, but I get a lower interest rate thru my bank than Tesla offers
And the way I look at it, you end up paying for the difference in frustration.

I just changed the rider at my current insurance.

Sorry, i don't understand that ?

But since i am not financing this car, i will just pay for it fully, as the money for the car is already in my bank account, i don't understand why anyone would be looking at my credit ?

I am not a native English speaker, so forgive me if what you say is meant to be understood differently.
If your paying in cash then not an issue for you

It's extremely hard to calculate expected delivery time. Tesla tends to build in batches, One model, one color, one configuration. I'm sure that they try to optimize the batches and satisfy as many customers as quickly as possible. And if a lot of customers all of the sudden want white, that may change the production schedule.

But in general, the estimate is often in the ballpark.

Folks in the US last year got delayed for almost a year because of the sheer volume.

But the general rule is that the estimate is definitely an estimate subject to change and often does. But one day, when you least expect it, you'll probably get a text that says that you need to pickup the car in a few days, so make sure that you have everything ready.

And there may also be the situation that someone doesn't pick a car that's near your and they make it available for you.

So if you want to say that Tesla is lying, then sure, that's your take.And you should maybe question whether you want a Tesla or not. I'm sure that there is someone in the queue after you that would love to have their car earlier.
My sister waited something like 8 months for her MYLR, only to get it in mid-Dec… right before the price cuts.

And on the flip side.. I did get my MYP (2/20) earlier than the last EDD I had (2/23-3/23).

On a slightly related note, I do delivery for a restaurant and am always mind boggled by people that get pissed off when they don’t get deliveries on the dot… after being given an estimated delivery time. Heck, even one got pissed off because I was early.

I think it depends on your Bank, Ive had USAA, for 18years, many loans and zero issues
There’s also other things that can frustrate… namely getting the timing to avoid having the loan expire before getting the car.

I went with the convenience of doing the trade-in and loan with Tesla. Can’t sell my ride too early and don’t have to rely on 3rd party timing.

So we ordered a MY LR on January 25

Their order page said "Expected delivery Febuary - March"

This was changed a week ago to "Last week of March" which is fine, still within what they promised on their website.

BUT...Yesterday they suddenly changed the expected delivery date to "May - June", so basically they pushed the delivery date back 3 months, compared to what they stated when we ordered.

So you might say "They had a LOT of orders, this is probably why they were a bit inaccurate"

BUT... If i visit the Tesla website today, and i select the exact same spec car, the website says "Expected delivery March - April"

If they now say cars ordered in January will (Maybe) be delivered in May, it seems impossible to deliver the same car to someone in April, if they order now, 1 month later.

So it seems they are willfully lying on their webpage, and i must admit i find this to be very poor.

In "my" country it seems that A LOT of costumers got this delivery pushback yesterday, and there are a LOT of angry costumers, people that have sold their car, to be handed over just days after their expected delivery date and so on.

We were looking at used Tesla's but found the used car dealers did not price the cars so that it would be worth it with a 1-2 months waiting time. If we had known that the delivery time would be 4-5 months, we might have just bought a used car, as we actually need the car "now"

To be honest this really pisses me off, them being so dishonest.
I do not know about the situation in your country but in US, I got the same message from Tesla as you but it is delivered much sooner.

"Do they simply lie on purpose to lure people in ?"

I don't know about Tesla, but the first thought that comes to mind is when talking about politicians, then the answer is YES ;)
I'm sure Tesla sort of ignores or turns a blind eye. They may not flat out lie because perhaps a very small percentage of folks might get it in the timeframe but the majority won't.

Reactions: hmadsen
I do not know about the situation in your country but in US, I got the same message from Tesla as you but it is delivered much sooner.
Okay, lets hope they just pushed the delivery dates to get a bit of quiet, to be able to figure out what they can actually do.

I have now been informed that it seems the Danish "DVLA's" website for registering new cars has been down for a few days, but this should mainly affect owners that have gotten their VIN, and are about to take delivery, but still, probably a bit of a wrench in the machine for Tesla in Denmark.

Okay, lets hope they just pushed the delivery dates to get a bit of quiet, to be able to figure out what they can actually do.

I have now been informed that it seems the Danish "DVLA's" website for registering new cars has been down for a few days, but this should mainly affect owners that have gotten their VIN, and are about to take delivery, but still, probably a bit of a wrench in the machine for Tesla in Denmark.
I was nervous when I got pushing out the EDD for 2-3 months and I called Tesla. The SA told me to ignore it and I got VIN 2 weeks later.

Reactions: hmadsen