Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Updates to referral program (7/7/23)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have a Y on order and received this SMS:

"Today, the Tesla Referral Program has been updated to include even more benefits.

We are pleased to advise that your order is eligible for the new benefits, including a $750 discount which will be applied to your order in the coming days.

As part of these new benefits, a complimentary 90-day trial of Enhanced Autopilot will be added to your Model Y post-delivery.

To learn more, please visit Refer and Earn at Refer and Earn | Tesla Support Australia

Looks like referers now get 10,000 points instead of 3,000 before. That is enough for a wall charger (8k) and some other rewards.

Has anyone had success with adding a referral code to their account? I haven’t taken delivery of my vehicle yet, but the sales advisor stated that it can’t be added after the fact. Is the sales advisor correct?

Thanks

So the wording is very misleading. I was able to refer my friend to purchase a Model Y (made reservation on July 7 and picked up the car on July 9) and he was able to get the $500 off and three months of FSD. However, I only got 2000 credits instead of the 10K that was stated in the email and website. I called the customer support (after being sent to various different department) and was told that it was actually up to 10K credits with max of 5 referral per year. Making it only 2K credit per referral. Anyone else in the same situation but got 10K credit. I was going to surprise with some Tesla stuff from those credits but now i have too little.

So the wording is very misleading. I was able to refer my friend to purchase a Model Y (made reservation on July 7 and picked up the car on July 9) and he was able to get the $500 off and three months of FSD. However, I only got 2000 credits instead of the 10K that was stated in the email and website. I called the customer support (after being sent to various different department) and was told that it was actually up to 10K credits with max of 5 referral per year. Making it only 2K credit per referral. Anyone else in the same situation but got 10K credit. I was going to surprise with some Tesla stuff from those credits but now i have too little.
Interesting! That's rubbish if that's what they're doing, super dodgy wording

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's more likely that (as usual) the individual Tesla staff don't quite know the answer, so they make stuff up as they go.

The wording is very clear:

Starting July 7, 2023, if your friend orders a new Model 3 or Model Y using your referral link:

• They’ll receive A$750 off their purchase price and 3 months of Enhanced Autopilot.
  • You’ll receive 10,000 referral credits.

So there's no way they could only pass on 2000 for a single referral. That certainly would violate advertising laws here in Australia.

Now if only I hadn't convinced my mate to order on the 6th of July. He got the $750 but I miss out on 8000 credits :(

Reactions: Blue heaven
So I received another email from Tesla advertising again stating that we should receive 10K credit so I went ahead and call the customer service again to double check since i didn't see them change their wording;

"When a friend or family member uses your referral link to order a new Model 3 or Model Y, you will receive 10,000 credits once they take delivery. You can redeem your credits for exclusive awards like Supercharging miles, software upgrades and more. To start referring, open the Tesla app. Learn More

Friends and family you refer will receive $500 off their final purchase price and unlock three months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

The $7,500 federal tax credit will likely decrease after December 31, 2023 for some models. New Model 3 and Model Y vehicles delivered by December 31, 2023 still qualify for the full credit."

They helped me send an email to the referral program to double check and should receive an email in the next 5 business days. This is a big problem and like the previous user stated can be considered false advertising.

• Helpful
Reactions: bcarp and Hairyman
So I received another email from Tesla advertising again stating that we should receive 10K credit so I went ahead and call the customer service again to double check since i didn't see them change their wording;

"When a friend or family member uses your referral link to order a new Model 3 or Model Y, you will receive 10,000 credits once they take delivery. You can redeem your credits for exclusive awards like Supercharging miles, software upgrades and more. To start referring, open the Tesla app. Learn More

Friends and family you refer will receive $500 off their final purchase price and unlock three months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

The $7,500 federal tax credit will likely decrease after December 31, 2023 for some models. New Model 3 and Model Y vehicles delivered by December 31, 2023 still qualify for the full credit."

They helped me send an email to the referral program to double check and should receive an email in the next 5 business days. This is a big problem and like the previous user stated can be considered false advertising.
You appear to be from America. Which is fine. Hopefully America has similar false advertising rules. As this is an Australian sub-forum, for reference the email I just received states,
Share Tesla, Unlock Benefits​
Starting 7 July 2023, when you bring a new member into the Tesla community and they purchase a qualifying vehicle, they receive $750 off their purchase and a 90-day trial of Enhanced Autopilot.

In return, you earn 10,000 credits. These credits can be redeemed for software upgrades, Supercharging kilometres and more.

To find and share your referral link or view your available credits, visit Refer and Earn within your Tesla app.​
So, a similar but not quite the same set of benefits.

(750 Australian Dollar equals 509.30 United States Dollar 12 July, 10:42 pm UTC)

I am in the same boat, my wife ordered a MY on 6/25 and they are claiming since the referal program didnt change until a few days ago I still only get 2000 credits. But her $500 off and 3 free months of FSD will go through.

She picks up on 7.22, so we will see if the credits on my referral get adjusted but I am not holding my breath that they will, without a fight with someone over there. Thats BS that they can change the rules for one side but not the other.

I tried chatting via the site and the delivery option. Maybe I tried barking up the wrong tree and need to hit up someone else?

Anyone else have any luck being the referrer and getting the credits bumped from 2000 to 10,000? Thats a big difference or else I wouldnt really care.

I already have in my mind that they going to come back and say that it is an mistake on their part for not updating their language on their website and email and that there is nothing they can do. I mean I knew the deal was too good to be true when i saw 10K credits was going to be given if you refer someone. I was going to let it go but they kept on emailing me about this referral program. What can we really do? I mean 8K difference in credit is quite a lot.

I am in the same boat, my wife ordered a MY on 6/25 and they are claiming since the referal program didnt change until a few days ago I still only get 2000 credits. But her $500 off and 3 free months of FSD will go through.

She picks up on 7.22, so we will see if the credits on my referral get adjusted but I am not holding my breath that they will, without a fight with someone over there. Thats BS that they can change the rules for one side but not the other.

I tried chatting via the site and the delivery option. Maybe I tried barking up the wrong tree and need to hit up someone else?

Anyone else have any luck being the referrer and getting the credits bumped from 2000 to 10,000? Thats a big difference or else I wouldnt really care.
Yeah I’d be amazed if they actually update the credits for referrers. Doesn’t really benefit them at all to do that, whereas the buyer gets 3 months of EAP which is just a potential sale for Tesla when it runs out.