Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update to the Supercharger network policies

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
JPP although I agree with most of what you are saying I never found that SC congestion anywhere but in California.
I absolutely hate it when Companies write rules and change policy based on less than 10% of the population.
I understand that in a forum people have their right to voice their opinion, however I don't believe the comments in this forum accurately represents "the masses". People use this forum to voice complaints and opinion as do I, however I hope Tesla used raw numbers to make this decision - IF the decision had anything to do with congestion. It does not state that congestion was a part of their decision to make this change.

Your logic is flawed ... the data shows that 45% of all new Tesla Model S sales come from California. :cool:

Maybe their decision is being based not on population but where their customers are.
More than 30% of tesla's delivered in the US are in California and that's only based on the rebate statistics. The number could be higher due to the people who did not qualify or did not apply for the California CVRP rebate since it ran out of funding earlier this year.

Logic is correct, but the US sales % is incorrect :cool:

California Leads Nation In Tesla Model S Sales, But Which Other States Are In Top 10?

upload_2016-11-8_19-54-20.png

Will the older 60kWh and 40kWh cars that were not purchased with supercharging now be able to charge using credits?
Good question. Hmmm. Can you purchase Supercharging NOW...even though you didn't order it earlier? I would buy it now in hopes that unlimited SC'ing remains for grandfathered Models.

Ultimately though..... This isn't going to alleviate congestion because current Owners are congesting SC's. Nothing in this new Tesla effort affects them at all.

We were headed up the coast on 101 and decided to Supercharge at the Oxnard, CA Supercharger, which has 10 superchargers. All but three of the spots were taken and the cars were empty, no drivers around (Tuesday noontime). I connected my car and set my charge for enough power to get to my next destination, Solvang. I returned to my car about 30 minutes later noting the same cars were still there. I'm sure many of these cars were fully charged or charged to their preset limit.

Just cause one can still charge their MS free, it doesn't mean one should hoard the spot, fully charged, leaving others to fend for themselves or wait on your sorry butt. I vote that if you're not at your car within 15 minutes after it reached full or a preset charge limit, Tesla should charge you $1/min. thereafter. This $1/min. charge would fund more Superchargers and/or change the behavior of people that feel entitled to leave their cars at superchargers for as long as they want.

Reactions: swaltner
Just cause one can still charge their MS free, it doesn't mean one should hoard the spot, fully charged, leaving others to fend for themselves or wait on your sorry butt. I vote that if you're not at your car within 15 minutes after it reached full or a preset charge limit, Tesla should charge you $1/min. thereafter. This $1/min. charge would fund more Superchargers and/or change the behavior of people that feel entitled to leave their cars at superchargers for as long as they want.
Such a plan could be applied to existing owners and new owners. Existing owners would still be entitled to a full charge for free but aren't entitled to park for hours at the Supercharger once they have completed charging. Unfortunately, it doesn't address Superchargers being ICEd or used as parking spots for Teslas that aren't even plugged in.

I'm thing they just need to dig a huge ditch across from the charging spots. Depth would depend on number of squatters at that particular SpC location.

Then, once parked for longer than required to charge -

Remotely unlock the charge port and trigger the rainbow flashing, signaling others that they may unplug.

Remotely enable the summon feature to drive car into the ditch.

Future upgrades -
- Snake charger - no longer need manual unplug
- AP2.0 w/ advanced summon. Only need a single ditch/hole instead of one per charging pedestal.

I personally believe that unlimited SC'ing has an opportunity to re-emerge when the competition ( which does not exist yet.
We were headed up the coast on 101 and decided to Supercharge at the Oxnard, CA Supercharger, which has 10 superchargers. All but three of the spots were taken and the cars were empty, no drivers around (Tuesday noontime). I connected my car and set my charge for enough power to get to my next destination, Solvang. I returned to my car about 30 minutes later noting the same cars were still there. I'm sure many of these cars were fully charged or charged to their preset limit.

Another California supercharger issue. wow. Tesla - Don't punish everyone else for a few SC's being abused California.

and repeat offenders could be blocked for 30 days. put on the naughty list. LOL

Reactions: Red Sage
Pre-pay for blocks of kWh at a discount maybe. I do not see pre-pay unlimited coming back.
What if GM created a "FREE for everyone (including Tesla)" SC network? GM has trabillions of dollars so if they wanted to...they certainly could. Tesla's only recourse would be to make their network free or remove it or let it die in place. Competition drives the industry...look at the cell phone business. AT&T certainly didn't want to re-offer unlimited data, however they had to if they wanted to play ball with Verizon and Sprints unlimited data packages.

My personal perspective is that neither GM nor Toyota nor Honda is really interested in EV's yet. I believe that the primary reason the bolt is in existence is to raise the MPG of GM's fleet. There is some kind of rule or regulation or something that the govt. holds car makers to concerning MPG's - and with the bolt providing thousands of MPG per car ( since there are no gallons ) it allows for a tremendous uptick in their fleets MPG rating. Let those 3 companies really get interested in EV's (environment) and hmmm..... Right now they are making kabillions on what they are doing so....I can't see them creating internal competition for their current kabillion dollar industry.

That's just my personal perspective.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Red Sage
What if GM created a "FREE for everyone (including Tesla)" SC network? GM has trabillions of dollars so if they wanted to...they certainly could. Tesla's only recourse would be to make their network free or remove it or let it die in place. Competition drives the industry...look at the cell phone business. AT&T certainly didn't want to re-offer unlimited data, however they had to if they wanted to play ball with Verizon and Sprints unlimited data packages.

My personal perspective is that neither GM nor Toyota nor Honda is really interested in EV's yet. I believe that the primary reason the bolt is in existence is to raise the MPG of GM's fleet. There is some kind of rule or regulation or something that the govt. holds car makers to concerning MPG's - and with the bolt providing thousands of MPG per car ( since there are no gallons ) it allows for a tremendous uptick in their fleets MPG rating. Let those 3 companies really get interested in EV's (environment) and hmmm..... Right now they are making kabillions on what they are doing so....I can't see them creating internal competition for their current kabillion dollar industry.

That's just my personal perspective.

I agree with you, I do not see GM, Toyota, or Honda providing such a service. As you point out, they just aren't that interested. But yes, their pockets do run very deep.

I don't feel like the comparison to cell phone plans is fair. AT&T has no significant additional cost associated with high data use. And they reserve the right to throttle people over a certain amount of usage during periods of high usage within a particular cell.

Electricity on the other hand is a cost that would have to be paid to the grid provider. Someday perhaps it could be self contained solar, but the numbers just don't work out for panels required to feed a bunch of hungry cars except in the most remote areas. I'm not sure it would even work out if panels were 100% efficient. My (probably incorrect) math leads me to believe they would need ~100 100% efficient solar panels per fully utilized stall, assuming 12 hour sunny days.

Reactions: Garlan Garner
I'm sure it happens elsewhere, just not to the degree where the most cars exist. The penalty would apply to all.

I'm thinking that it may happen elsewhere as you stated, however I haven't seen any in this forum.

I have another question for everyone though - including Sharkbait. I must preface my question with a comment first though.

Comment: Tesla has not posted congestion "at all" as the reason for this new SC fee structure.
Question: If we assume that Tesla's SC fee structure is indeed related to congestion then....How is it really removing congestion. The MS's and MX's that are grandfathered are still going to charge as they have been. This new Tesla fee based SC'ing would only limit those who haven't participated in the congestion AT ALL - like myself. So...ultimately it would seemed to be designed to possibly keep the SD's from being "more" congested than they already are. Grandfathered MS and MX owners that are locally charging will still do so. Tesla's SC fee based SC'ing program might need a few tweaks.

Let me remind myself of my earlier comment. Congestion isn't listed as a driver for this new program.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I personally believe that unlimited SC'ing has an opportunity to re-emerge when the competition ( which does not exist yet.
Another California supercharger issue.wow. Tesla - Don't punish everyone else for a few SC's being abused California.

Dream on ... unlimited SC is gone and not coming back. :cool: Did you read the article linked above?
Bad SC behavior in California will continue and spread across the country as the Model 3 is introduced. :eek:
Tesla was forced to implement the new SC changes in order to protect the system utilization going forward.