Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I have a SEP2017 X100D. With the new MX update, do you think it is worth to upgrade my car to the new edition in a few months?
I think the MCU2, the new motor technology and the battery charging capability to V3 are very very tempting.
I am worried in 2 years my car will be very outdated.
I would not lose that much money as i bought it from dealer service for 90k a month ago, and would (try to) sell it for the same price.
My wife says she thinks in 2 years i will be unpleased with my current specs...
Could i hear some opinions please?
Thank you!!

If u don’t take depreciation hit than why not and getting ludi upgrade ..for me just not that compelling going from a current X P100D to a newer one as I would get maybe. An extra ~25 miles of range ...mcu2 and ap3 also isn’t enough reason for me to switch I have been driving AP1 and AP2.5 for last 3years and good enough for me ;)

Hi everyone,

I have a SEP2017 X100D. With the new MX update, do you think it is worth to upgrade my car to the new edition in a few months?
I think the MCU2, the new motor technology and the battery charging capability to V3 are very very tempting.
I am worried in 2 years my car will be very outdated.
I would not lose that much money as i bought it from dealer service for 90k a month ago, and would (try to) sell it for the same price.
My wife says she thinks in 2 years i will be unpleased with my current specs...
Could i hear some opinions please?
Thank you!!

I don’t think getting $90K for your car today is realistic. A brand new, Long Range model X is less than $90K after rebate. Inventory models can be had for less than that.

Expect to take a hit if trading up.

Reactions: P85_DA
In 2 years, your car will have more features than today. Any other manufacturers vehicle will have the same features as when you buy it.
The new features are incremental and if the existing car is satisfactory for your travels, the new one won't be much better.

Unless you have a lot of discretionary funds, don't head down the path. Because tomorrow's features will always be better than today's.
This has been the same thing for all vehicles with new model years bringing new features

Reactions: P85_DA
Thanks for the replies.. If i dont lose a significant amount i think i'll sell it and seek for the newer one. I know there will always be a better edition, but i think the V3 charger and the new induction motor is a significant one in terms of future depreciation. (i think).

Reactions: Sg911
Dancar was addressing the charging. The change of motors for the X adds 20+ miles to the range which is good but the battery pack is mostly unchanged and will get some minor improvement in charging rate.

If the 100D before is 295 and the refresh has 325miles epa, then that’s 10% increase with the new motor. So how is it that the new / refresh Standard range is only 250miles when the old 75D was 237. If we do same calculation, shouldn’t the new SR have 260miles?

We went through this debate with our 2012 S P85 every time Tesla introduced new battery packs or features - and once we got over the "feature envy" decided not to trade in for a new Model S.

For most drivers, the difference between 100D and the new LR won't have much actual impact. The longer range only provides significant benefit if you are frequently driving more than 80% of the rated range in a single day - typically on road trips. And even then, the extra range primarily helps with just the first charging stop - after that you'll get only a minor benefit.

The 100D and current battery packs provide some benefits with V3 supercharging (not as much as the Model 3). Musk announced Tesla was planning to introduce another battery pack next year which will increase the lifetime from 300-400K miles to 1M miles - and would likely have full support for V3 supercharging.

We have a 2017 S 100D with MCU1 and AP 2.0 - and it was briefly tempting to consider trading it in for a new S LR. And that quickly passed. Since depreciation is typically around 2% per month, plus with the across-the-board price decrease for S/X earlier this year, we would take a pretty large hit on using our 2017 as a trade-in for a 2019, and not really get much benefit.

Tesla offered a "free Ludicrous" upgrade for current S/X owners - looked at that too - and quickly decided that didn't make sense. To qualify for that "free" upgrade, we'd have to purchase a Performance version, costing about $10K more while also decreasing the increased range we'd get through the upgrade.

We're likely going to stick with our plan of keeping our 2017 S 100D and 2018 X 100D until they are 6-7 years old or are approaching 100K miles, and will continue to go through feature envy whenever Tesla introduces new improvements to both vehicles...

• Helpful
Reactions: Spelly88 and P85_DA