Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unofficial Tesla Model S Chrome Extension New and Improved

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I cannot login from the chrome app. I have no problem using the official Tesla app. When I login Chrome app, it just wait and after maybe a minute it closes. If I type a wrong password it will tell me, so it does something.

Any suggestions?

Thank You
Thorben
Denmark

Hey guys, sorry I haven't been responding. I haven't been getting emails about updates to this thread. Thanks for using the Chrome extension, but yes, similar to Visible Tesla, the changes to the servers have made this unreliable, especially for new vehicles. I have no issues with my account, but have had a few reports elsewhere of it failing. I do not feel comfortable implementing the new API due to a required private key from Tesla's apps (it isn't difficult to obtain, but it is in much murkier legality and I don't feel comfortable using it). The moment Tesla ever releases official support for 3rd party access, I will update this extension to support it, and add a few of the features I never got around to. Until then my work on the project has officially stopped. It is all open source at TrevorSStone/TeslaExtension · GitHub so if someone feels inclined to fork it, please do. The images, though terrible, are available as well for any use. Just credit it back to me please.

I'm pretty saddened about the migration to the new servers with no news about official support for devs. I have been working on a new Model S API related project that I was really excited to be releasing soon, but it too is now on hold for the foreseeable future. I appreciate the community's support, and hope to be able to provide more projects in the future. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask, or email me at [email protected]. Unrelated, but I am also beginning to look for new consulting or full-time software development opportunities. If you or someone you know may be interested, please email me.

Once again thanks for all the support! (And a special thanks to everyone that donated. It means so much to me that you felt the extension was worth giving money for)

PS: To the post I just read about the security of the extension, there is no 3rd party server in between the requests to and from Tesla's servers in this implementation. All data is directly from your computer to Tesla. This can be verified in the public source code, and also through the network inspection tools in the browser.

Thanks Trevor. Tesla don't really help 3rd-party developers at all, I think it's a shame, as in doing so they could separate themselves from all the other manufacturers. It's not as if they're storming ahead with their own app developments, and one of the main keys to the iPhone's early success was the rampant developer community.

Only shows one car

First thank you for your hard work on this app. It works great for me. However, there is one functionality that I have on the official Tesla phone app which is missing here. I happen to have two Tesla Model S cars attached to my account. With the phone app, I am able to switch between the cars and control what you can control. With your Chrome extension, I don't seem to be able to do that. It will only connect to my 1st car (the one I originally purchased).

Thanks again for your hard work. I wish Tesla or someone else would add many more functions to the app like being able to turn the rear camera on, being able to roll the windows up/down, being able to turn the seat warmers on/off, the rear window defroster, etc.

I wish Tesla or someone else would add many more functions to the app like being able to turn the rear camera on, being able to roll the windows up/down, being able to turn the seat warmers on/off, the rear window defroster, etc.

Complain to Tesla on this one. You would have your wish granted in less than 24 hours if Tesla would just publish the third party developer APIs for the car, like they said there were going to do.

OK Trevor I am having some trouble with it. I enter my login information and nothing happens. Is there a set-up step I missed? I am behind a corporate firewall, but earlier posts suggest this should not be a problem. Any ideas?

Just found this thread...and I'm having the same issue.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't work for accounts that have been changed to the new servers.

Well, unfortunately, I installed the extension into Chrome and when I click on it it just says "Tesla Model S Control" and "loading" with some swirling dots. The options section is greyed out and I can't see how to enter my Tesla login to control my Model S. Great concept, though. Any ideas what might be wrong?

Well, unfortunately, I installed the extension into Chrome and when I click on it it just says "Tesla Model S Control" and "loading" with some swirling dots. The options section is greyed out and I can't see how to enter my Tesla login to control my Model S. Great concept, though. Any ideas what might be wrong?

See the previous message: "I'm pretty sure it doesn't work for accounts that have been changed to the new servers."
It had been working for me and since sometime last year...nada...

See the previous message: "I'm pretty sure it doesn't work for accounts that have been changed to the new servers."
It had been working for me and since sometime last year...nada...
The issue that aidanruff, myself, and others are seeing, is not related to the accounts, because the extension doesn't ever get to the point where we would enter in our user account credentials. The extension is simply failing to load.