Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unlocking door while inside in the driver's seat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed this too, and finally figured out the inconsistent behaviour.

If the car is locked (padlock icon is closed) then switching into "park" extends the handles.
If the car is unlocked (padlock is open) then switching into "park" does not extend the handles. You need to press the park button again to extend the handles.

If you have drive-away locking enabled then if you only drive a short distance the handles won't auto present (because the car hasn't locked itself yet) and if you drive a longer distance they will.

If you don't have drive-away locking enabled then the handles won't auto present - giving more consistent behaviour but does mean that anyone can open the car from outside if they know they need to push in the handle first.

Thank you for explaining. I hate modal designs like this!

+1 for putting the car in park but keeping the doors locked. That's something important! I'm not an agent that has drug dealer enemies, but there are many situations where not so nice people are in the streets and I don't want them to get any ideas. The door handles coming out draws attention to the car and is practically an invitation for those people. There are situations where you want to put the car in park (waiting in traffic or at a red light or waiting for someone) but want to keep the car locked. Yes the ebrake menu page works but that's a prime example where the touch screen UI makes things more complicated than necessary.

+1, With the touchscreen there is no reason why Tesla shouldn't include an "advanced features" tab on each page with little-used, but nice to have tweaks of certain systems. Like an "Only unlock drivers door upon approach" and a "Keep car locked upon first press of park button". They could also add a "hardware" unlock; just hold the glovebox button for one second. Even the Leaf has more tweaks available to users than the Model S. I think Elon's influence is "simplicity", and he got it right 90% of the time, but there are those pesky edge cases!